• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Former Presbyterian -- Now IFB

• Members

Hello y'all! My name is Claire. I recently left the Presbyterian church (I have been Presbyterian my whole life up until now) and am planning on attending my local IFB church starting in a few weeks. Before I decided I wanted to attend an IFB church, all I knew was that I disagreed with alot about my (now former) church's beliefs. I did my research and was amazed to find that I 100% agree with just about everything that most IFB churches teach.

After years of being ridiculed by my church family (even my own family) for dressing modestly (it's weird how they don't want me to dress provacitavely, but they have a problem with me wearing skirts and higher-neck tops), and reading KJVO, I am very happy to start visiting a church with other likeminded folks. 

Please forgive me if I say something wrong, I have been attending a very liberal church most of my life and occasionaly slip-up. Thank you all for your kindness and warm welcome.

May God continue to bless you in all you do,

Claire Allen

Titus 2:1-5

1 But speak thou the things which become sound doctrine:

2 That the aged men be sober, grave, temperate, sound in faith, in charity, in patience.

3 The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things;

4 That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,

5 To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.

6 Young men likewise exhort to be sober minded.

• Moderators

Welcome Aboard, Claire. Glad to have you.  As a teen and young adult, I spent a few years in the Presbyterian churches as well, so I understand where you're coming from. After I joined the Navy and got out of church altogether for a couple years, then trying a church of Christ at the invitation of a neighbor, I ended up in Long beach and was invited by a fellow on the street to visit the First Baptist Church of Long beach, which, despite how it sounds, is an IFB church. Like you, I found that my beliefs oddly lined up with them and I was immedieately comfortable and happy to be there. Not comfortable like, not being challenged, but comfortable because it was like being home. Been IFB ever since, almost 30 years.

You'll find as you visit other IFB churches, there are differences-don't let it upset you: where men are involved, at times humanity and carnality will come into play-we just can't get rid of it. But hold fast to the intent of the Fundamental Baptist ideal, as it were, and you'll do great.

• Moderators

Hi, Claire! Nice to have you on OB. 
I came from a new evangelical background. When I first visited an IFB church I was amazed to find a place that actually had good music and dress (and such thorough teaching) - I never knew such churches existed before. I've been here 9 years and am so thankful for my church home. 

What UkeMike said reminds me of what I was told in my early months by the family that first introduced me to my church: If you find a perfect church, don't join it, or it'll cease to be perfect! :wink

• Members

Hello y'all! My name is Claire. I recently left the Presbyterian church (I have been Presbyterian my whole life up until now) and am planning on attending my local IFB church starting in a few weeks. Before I decided I wanted to attend an IFB church, all I knew was that I disagreed with alot about my (now former) church's beliefs. I did my research and was amazed to find that I 100% agree with just about everything that most IFB churches teach.

After years of being ridiculed by my church family (even my own family) for dressing modestly (it's weird how they don't want me to dress provacitavely, but they have a problem with me wearing skirts and higher-neck tops), and reading KJVO, I am very happy to start visiting a church with other likeminded folks. 

Please forgive me if I say something wrong, I have been attending a very liberal church most of my life and occasionaly slip-up. Thank you all for your kindness and warm welcome.

May God continue to bless you in all you do,

Claire Allen

Titus 2:1-5

1 But speak thou the things which become sound doctrine:

2 That the aged men be sober, grave, temperate, sound in faith, in charity, in patience.

3 The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things;

4 That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,

5 To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.

6 Young men likewise exhort to be sober minded.

​I think you'll find you're welcome here. Welcome Aboard, shipmate. I hope you get comfortable in your new church.