• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Can't be done. Right?

• Moderators

I work for the government, in a blue-collar warehouse job.

A few years ago, congress made a big deal about freezing government wages, and everybody applauded. Yay! They are finally going to lead by example!

Problem is, D.C. was never really touched by it. They get all kinds of financial benefits in their jobs, like cars, gas allotments, insurance, housing allowances, etc. Its not a shock that they tend to get rich while in office because they don;'t have to spend much of their own money. But it was people like me, the blue collar shlubs, who got no raises, no bonuses, no cost of living raises, nothing. When they finally lifted it, I got...wait for it...a $.23 per hr raise. that's less than 2 bits. When I was 16, I got more than that for a raise after my first three months working at Carl's Jr. (That's Hardee's for you easterners). So for three years, while gas and food prices rose, the politicians got their gas on our dime, and their food at the Capitol Cafeteria, we watched the value of our money shrink even more. In my job, I don't even get annual raises any more, unless they give us one for cost of living, because I am at my maximum for my grade. So they took what little we DID get, and acted as though they were making some great sacifice. And Obama played golf and flew his daughters to mexico for spiring break. Must be tough.

You're right: the government doesn't ever lower their pay, or even really freeze it. Either side.

• Members

I can't imagine our congress voting to cut their pay by 10% and on top of that to cut their expenses by 10%.

Considering all the benefits congress gets they shouldn't even get a salary; either that or they should not get the benefits.

If we had any real statesmen in congress they would take the story of the Russian Parliament cutting their own pay and hold it up before congress, and the media, and demand if the Russians can do that so can the American congress.

I won't hold my breath on that becoming a major issue here!

• Members

Mandell a tried to reduce his pay, but as the other politicians pay was indexed against his, he could not without affecting theirs also, and didn't feel he had that right.

He instead donated half his pay to charity.

• Members

Mandell a tried to reduce his pay, but as the other politicians pay was indexed against his, he could not without affecting theirs also, and didn't feel he had that right.

He instead donated half his pay to charity.

​He is a U.S. citizen, I would think he has the right to propose and attempt to get backers for any bill he felt was in his constituents best interest.  Sometimes it is necessary to rock the boat and make waves.  It is what a good citizen must do when surrounded by those who have forgotten whom they serve.  A congressman making waves should pose no danger to his fellow congressmen since most are all wet anyway. 

• Members

When Ron Paul was in congress he tried to refuse his salary but congress has written the pay rules so everyone has to take their salary. Dr. Paul then had his entire salary sent directly to a charity.

Being in congress was never intended to be a career or a job one could make a living from. Being a member of congress was intended to be a part-time job with minimal pay, filled by men desiring to serve their State and country, not be served.