• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Take a Little Wine...

• Moderators

OKay, so, most will know here that I am NOT a drinker, nor do I believe in it, but there seems to be two times scripture gives for the use of wine or strong drink-once, when it is given to those who are perishing or are of a heavy heart, and once, when Paul tells Timothy to take a little wine for his stomach's sake and his oft infirmities. 

Now, of course, this could be speaking of juice, new wine. I get it. But perhaps not. The reason I am putting this up, is to see what the views are here on this:

My wife deals with a lot of stomach issues. Sometimes she's fine, but she will at times have a great amount of pain, which can put her out for the day, maybe two. Now, my wife has never drank-well, she once had a taste of Boones Farm, but that's it. Never had a desire to drink.  That having been said, when I mentioned this to her, we thought we would see what thoughts are out there: would this be the kind of situation where having a sip or two of wine when her stomach is bothering her fit this admonition by Paul? Would it be worse than using a medication of some sort? 

Thoughts? By the way, I suspect if she did try it, she would probably hate it and try something else. 

• Administrators

Well, the topic is locked,  but I thought I'd reply.

I believe what Paul advised Timothy to drink was new wine - eqivalent to grape juice today. Besides the teaching throughout scripture that it is wisest to abstain,  my reasons:

Paul said a little. How much is a little?   Since everyone considers amounts differently,  it seems that Paul would be more specific so that Timothy wouldn't overdo.

Second, alcohol doesn't help stomach issues - it exacerbates them. Grape juice, however, can help certain kinds. 

I have issues, too. I don't drink much grape juice (though I love it) because it can get my reflux going. I discovered something a while back, though, that really surprised me. 

I have used apple cider vinegar for a long time for reflux.  It works well. However, I still had digestive issues. After some research, I think I found the answer. 

1-2 tablespoons of (Braggs) apple cider vinegar in 8 oz of apple juice. Drink it slowly after a meal (I sometimes do during the meal). Apple juice is too sweet for me, so the vinegar helped make it palatable.

And best of all? Most of my issues have stopped.

It might be worth a try.

Edited by HappyChristian

• Moderators

I have unlocked the thread, seeing as I am a mod, and while maybe its not important, I'd like to let whoever locked it know that's a bit rude, before the topic has even begun. I am not speaking of general drinking, as we often see argued here, it is, rather, a very specific question. So please, unless it gets out of hand, do not lock it. Thanks

Some time back, actually, my wife did use apple cider vinegar, Braggs, in fact. At the time she was dealing with gallstones. She ran out the gallstones, but got a bleeding ulcer, which was pretty bad for a bit. One led to the other.

basically, my wife's issues with her health began some years back when she began nursing school-to go, she ended up having to retake all of her childhood vaccines, because her mother had lost her records. Within a couple days, she got very sick, and while she has been up and down, she has, for the most part, remained sick, and it can be directly attributed to the vaccines. In reality, even after seeing doctors, no one really knows just what is causing her this issue. Nothing specific has been found. I suspect it is partially her health, but also, it seems to exacerbate when she gets under stress. If she doesn't get enough sleep for her job, her stomach will go-if we lose a goat, her stomach goes. All sorts of things can set it off. Maybe this is one reason why I looked at the wine thing-because alcohol, being a depressant, can reduce stress if used properly, not as just a beverage, but more like one would use cough syrup, (10-12% alcohol).

So, it just ran through my head that since Paul recommneded wine, which may, indeed, be new wine, I thought I would throw out the topic to see what others had to say, and I appreciate your input.

Another thing we are going to try, is that we know wine, in the Bible, even alcoholic wine, was not really the same wine we have today. In fact, it was probably 'fermented' using live bacteria, rather like leavening bread. It doesn't ferment in the same way standard wine does, and we are thinking about seeing if we can make this ourselves.

• Administrators

Somehow it got locked again. I re-unlocked it.  

The ulcers are probably related to the stress, too. Does she take extra vit. B? I can't handle extra for some reason, but it's good for women who can.

What about aloe vera juice? It's very good for ulcers, as is cabbage juice. Maybe one of those for the ulcer and apple juice without the vinegar for the other.

I've been around home brew and believe me when I tell you the alcohol in it will bother the ulcer. :blink: 

(If this gets locked again, we may need to talk with BroMatt)

• Moderators

Got locked again, and its unlocked again. Weird.

Yes, my wife takes high amounts of B complex, and Niacin, as well as D, A and K. I do believe much is related to stress, a lot of it relating to never having been able to accomplish all she wanted to accomplish when she came here. 

As for salt, my wife uses celtic salt. Haven't heard of the sole, but I know she stays away from the pink sea salts and some others from Asia because their waters tend to have higher amounts of natural flouride.