• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Something Old and Something New

• Members

Greetings!  (I love that word.  You can't say it without smiling.)

I am Chris.  I am something old (at least in internet years--I have been online longer than Google), but this forum is something new for me.  Born in North Carolina and moved 10 times by the time I turned 10, living in New Jersey, Oregon, California, and Antigua, I finally stopped half way across the country and grew up in Oklahoma.  Now I live half of the time in Texas and my "pesky day job" keeps me in Africa for the other half (like right now).

I attended church all of my life in a variety of Christian traditions.  My wife and I raised our family in the United Methodist church.  As our children take our grandchildren to church, it is wonderful to see another generation learning the joys of Sunday School and Christian fellowship at an early age.

My experience online began when a colleague created a web page for his dog.  I didn't want to be outdone, but I didn't have a family pet at the time.  The solution suddenly sprang to mind--I could create a memorial page for my childhood pet, and the Bandit Memorial Home Page came into being.  There is just so much that you can do with a page like that, though.  The story was told, and there it was.  So I added a page.  I included links to some midi files that I had prepared for transposing and arranging hymns.  That became "Bandit's Methodist Hymns," and it proved to be of greater interest than I expected.  The name just didn't sound right, though, so I registered a domain and have enjoyed the experience ever since.

A couple of years ago I thought that it had run its course.  Midi files are not supported by newer technologies like "smart" phones and tablets, and developing materials in new audio and video formats presented an undertaking bigger than I wanted to handle.  I resigned myself to let someone else tackle it.  Then my wife and I took an anniversary cruise.  Can you say "Carnival Triumph?"  We were on a boat adrift in the Gulf of Mexico for the better part of a week.  A handful of Christian leaders organized daily gatherings to pray and sing and worship.  There was no electricity, so everything was done without synthesizers and amplifiers.  Nothing but voices lifted the way the Lord made them.  Each service opened with some contemporary songs, and they were good.  Then someone in the congregation would ask for an old, traditional hymn, and something special happened.  The voices rose and the Spirit moved.  It moved the room, and the ship, and my heart.  The Lord touched me and said the old hymns are still a blessing.  And so began my work to prepare new-fangled traditional hymn videos.  I have completed the public domain materials from the United Methodist Hymnal and the Baptist Hymnal.  Now I am working on the Presbyterian Hymnal.  And it is reaching people.  Again.

Something old and something new.  I am looking forward to this new journey with this community of faith.  To share in word, and in Word, and in song.

Grace and peace,
Chris

• Moderators

I just looked and couldn't find the Online Baptist Rules but opening up an introduction of yourself by advertising really isn't a good idea.

Honestly, all of that is of secondary importance, I want to address the questions that arose due to what you didn't tell us:

1) Do you know for sure if you will go to Heaven when you die (be it today or in 50 years)?

2) If you're not absolutely certain, why not?

3) If you are confident that you will, why are you so confident?

4) In other words, if you stood before the Lord today and He asked, "Why should I allow you here?", what would you say?

5) If you are "in Christ Jesus" (II Cor 5:17), how did that happen -- IOW, tell us about that "moment of time". Or have you have "always been a Christian" and if that is the case - how does that work? (according to the Word of God)

I realize that #4 & #5 can be answered simultaneously.

Edited by OLD fashioned preacher

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...