• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

They have one job

• Members

I doubt that those on this forum need this advice, but maybe someone you know does.  Far too many women are let down by their mothers failing to teach them the one basic skill they actually need in life:

"My mother hadn’t felt the need to give me a recipe—she knew that I had watched her, and before her my Nani, make the same pot of sauce nearly weekly in my previous 17 years. So many times I smelled the meat, browning in olive oil before the garlic and onions were added, intensifying the distinctive aroma of Nani’s kitchen, which lingered even years after her last pot had been simmered. Yet I didn’t know how to cook.

But what did my mom expect? Both she and my late Nani had always praised and encouraged my good grades and scholarly instincts, and neither had encouraged me to do anything in the kitchen other that set the table. Nani never taught me to forage for burdock or can tomatoes because “you won’t need to,” she said. Cooking was something else the modern young woman wouldn’t have cause to do either, it seemed. So, I focused on my career.

What had stuck with me from those hours in the kitchen watching my mom and Nani cook weekly Sunday dinners or nightly from-scratch meals was not the recipes for beef bracciole or manicotti, but the conversation. “Go to college,” I was always told, “have your own money and don’t rely on a man.”

Let's not make the same mistake with our daughters and sentence them to a lifetime of bad food, obesity, and culinary frigidity. There is nothing more important than for a young girl to be taught how to be a good wife and mother. Nothing. Because nothing less than civilization and the continued existence of the human race depends upon it.

Don't raise your daughters to be dead ends.

• Members

A whole lot of truth there!

Growing up I remember the grandma's could cook just about anything and cook it from scratch and cook it good every time. The moms (their daughters) could usually do some cooking, but not as much, not much (or at all) from scratch, and not cook near as good. The daughters of the moms (granddaughters to the grandma's) most often couldn't cook much of anything unless it came in a can or box with instructions. Even then, they had difficulty.

Now those daughters have daughters who can't cook unless they stick something in a microwave oven.

Most of the divorces I have some good knowledge of had a great deal to do with the women/wives being unprepared for the reality of marriage. They didn't like or want to do the things wives and moms traditionally tend to and often didn't know how to do the little they did attempt. Most thought they should be the boss of the house while doing little or nothing around the house.

• Administrators

I was the oldest and my brother was three years younger tham I. My sisters were born after I was twelve years old. My mother made sure that us boys knew how to cook. She left recipes and did hands on cooking with my brother and I. She always said she thought it was a good idea for boys to learn how to cook in case they ever had the need to. This has served me well all my life. I am very comfortable around the kitchen or campfire. I even got to where I made up my own recipes. I was the only boy in cooking class in school. Of course that had nothing to do with the class being made up almost totally of girls.  :)

Thanks Mom.  :)

• Members

I am the cook in my house.  My wife and mother-in-law seem to be very happy with it . . . . either that or they are faking it. :lol:   The wife and I just got married a couple of years ago ( me a widower and her a widow) and we talked about our duties around the house and it is working out great.  :)

• Members

I am the cook in my house.  My wife and mother-in-law seem to be very happy with it . . . . either that or they are faking it. :lol:   The wife and I just got married a couple of years ago ( me a widower and her a widow) and we talked about our duties around the house and it is working out great.  :)

​Being able to talk about things around the house and come to agreement is a great blessing.

My Dad doesn't cook anything fancy but what he does cook always comes out tasting very good. This has served him well since Mom passed away nearly 13 years ago.

Years ago when Dad hunted a lot he was the one who cooked most of what he hunted and it was delicious.

• Administrators

My mom didn't teach me how to cook. I actually learned by watching. Both her and my dad.  I was never really interested in learning to cook while I was growing up. When I got older, I ended up cooking at a camp. Surprisingly, I seemed to have a talent for it - taking existing materials and making a tasty, hearty, healthy meal.  Many women cannot cook upon marriage, and that is sad. I could cook by the time I got married, and my hubby was a very happy newlywed.

My sister, on the other hand, did cook quite a bit while growing up. And, though I don't want to brag, I'm the better cook. :D

I don't think obesity is a result of not being able to cook, though. There are an awful lot of morbidly obese cooks/chefs running around...

I totally agree that young ladies are not being taught to be good wives and mothers.  It's a shame, that's for sure!

Edited by HappyChristian

• Members

Both my wife and I cook. Fortunately my wife is an excellent cook, always from scratch. Right now with issues with our water in the trailer and an oven that doesn't work, we are limited, but once we get those things ironed out we'll be doing great.

​So, you are currently cooking with an iron? That must take awhile to prepare a full meal.

• Administrators

​So, you are currently cooking with an iron? That must take awhile to prepare a full meal.

​Yeeeehaw, and we're off!!!!!!!

If it was a steam iron it would cook faster, evryone knows that steam is very hot. Surface area may just present a problem though.

• 1 month later...