• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Midweek Service

Midweek Service  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Midweek Service: Wednesday or Thursday?

• Wednesday
    • Thursday
    • AnOTher night of the week

• Administrators

Okay, this poll is not anything that is doctrinal or anything too spiritual, but rather a preference. Churches traditionally have the Mid week service on either Wednesday or Thursday evenings. Which night would you prefer for the midweek service? Since Wednesday and Thursday's are the most popular, I will only include those in the poll.

Edited by BroMatt

• Moderators

Don't have a preference.

It was Wed when I got here and don't see a need to change it.

Back in GA we had it on Thursday and used Wed for visitation.

In FL we talked about having 2 midweeks - Tues and Thurs (exhorting one another: and so much the more, as you see the day approaching).

• Members

Due to the distances much of our congregation must travel to reach our church, plus the fact work and school activities are going on every weeknight now, we are unable to hold a mid-week service.

We do have several Bible studies throughout the week on various days and at various times in order to give folks the opportunity for time in the Word and fellowship. This has served our congregation well.

I do miss the mid-week services. Our pastor put up a fight, especially against school activities being scheduled for Wednesday nights when that night had once been off-limits for such because of mid-week church services. However, with school consolidations local influence and control of school boards was lost, pastors were no longer invited to school board meetings, and every other area pastor our pastor reached out to on this matter refused to oppose Wednesday night school activities.

The fight against school activities being held on Sunday has come up over the past few years and again it seems everyone is giving in. Our pastor told the parents in the congregation that when a school event is held so it conflicts with church services the parents have a choice to put God first or the worldly pursuits. What counts more for eternity, faithfully attending church services or attending a school athletic banquet. Parents send a strong message with the choice they make.

• Members

I would like to see it moved up an hour or half hour during the winter months from present 7PM to 6 or 6:30PM. Thursday evenings are reserved for visitation.

​Would be good to have midweek service as early as possible, 6:30 is a good time for those who have to get up early the next day. Also, some churches have midweek on Friday nights, and this would also take care of the problem of getting an early start the next day.

• Moderators

It depends on the location.

Around here 6 or 6:30 is early due to work. Also, service at 7, home before 9. Do they go to bed before 10 on other weekdays? Few that I know.

Of course, I don't have to be up till 5 and most the folks around here get up around 6.

• Members

Most people around here have to travel between 30 - 90 minutes to get to work, then the same amount to get back home. Add that onto the fact so many businesses have switched to irregular hours or 12 hour shifts and it's really tough for some folks to deal with.

In our case, we have that going on plus much of our congregation drives 30 - 120 minutes to get here.

That doesn't even factor in all the things going on with folks kids these days, helping elderly relatives, etc.

On a good Sunday we have around 220 attend church. A while back some bad weather came through and most churches cancelled services, except ours. We had 89 make it to church that day, praise God! As our pastor said, some might say "only 89" but even if they do, that's still 89 more than any of the churches which cancelled had.

• Members

For me, the church is about 1.5 hours travel time from church to home by public transportation, and from home to work is around an hour. We have midweek on Wednesdays, and I usually go to midweek that starts at 7 straight from work and when I get home around 10 I eat dinner, and this has been challenging often.

• 7 months later...
  • Members

I'll mention it to my Pastor and if we get it moved up to 6:30 then you're all invited.

For me, the church is about 1.5 hours travel time from church to home by public transportation, and from home to work is around an hour. We have midweek on Wednesdays, and I usually go to midweek that starts at 7 straight from work and when I get home around 10 I eat dinner, and this has been challenging often.

Most people around here have to travel between 30 - 90 minutes to get to work, then the same amount to get back home. Add that onto the fact so many businesses have switched to irregular hours or 12 hour shifts and it's really tough for some folks to deal with.

In our case, we have that going on plus much of our congregation drives 30 - 120 minutes to get here.

That doesn't even factor in all the things going on with folks kids these days, helping elderly relatives, etc.

On a good Sunday we have around 220 attend church. A while back some bad weather came through and most churches cancelled services, except ours. We had 89 make it to church that day, praise God! As our pastor said, some might say "only 89" but even if they do, that's still 89 more than any of the churches which cancelled had.

How do I do a poll?

• Members

Ours is on Wednesday.  If needs be we sometimes change it to Thursday.  My daughter's church has it on Tuesday, which is useful for us as we can sometimes get preachers from them and their pastor to lead our Wednesday service, Last night my son in law led our service.  He spoke on 1 Sam:18.  David and Jonathan's friendship.  One point he made was how they would have been considered incompatible by the world, One a prince, heir to the throne, similar to the Prince of Wales, and the other a poor shepherd boy. He said many Christians have close friendships with other believers who the world would consider incompatible.  He mentioned two deacons in a church he was a member of in London.  One was a Greek Cypriot the other was a Turkish Cypriot, absolutely incompatible the world would say but they had a close friendship in Christ for many years.

• Members

How do I do a poll?

scissors or electric clippers work well.

2 Samuel 14:26 (KJV)
And when he polled his head, (for it was at every year's end that he polled [it]: because [the hair] was heavy on him, therefore he polled it:) he weighed the hair of his head at two hundred shekels after the king's weight.