• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What is the deacons role in the Baptist Church?

Guest FrankJ
Go to solution Solved by John81,

• Members
  • Solution

That would entirely depend upon which Baptist church you happen to be in. This is especially true of Independent Baptist churches which don't have a central denominational authority telling them how the deacon position must be dealt with according to them.

Some Baptist churches attempt to follow the biblical model of deacons as closely as possible, some others give deacons great authority in the church (sometimes even authority over the pastor), in some a deacon may be nothing more than an usher, and in others the position of deacon is different yet.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

In our church the deacon(s) job is to do whatever he can that frees up the Pastors time to spend in the Word, sermon prep, soul-winning, and visitation.  This typically means a LOT of menial tasks such as church maintenance projects, running to the post office, and taking care of distribution of benevolence at the direction of our pastor.  Our deacon(s) have NO authority over the flock and/or pastor in any way.  There is NO board of deacons that hold any governmental roles in the church.

• Members

I served as a Deacon back in the early 90's, prior to my pastoring a Church in NC.  As a Deacon, I told members of the congregation not to put all responsibility for sick calls on the Pastor.  I gave them my phone number and let them know not to let my blindness hinder them from calling if there was a need.  And it didn't.  Many a night, 1 and 2 AM, one could see me walking with my white cane to the house of one needing prayer.  Or to a hospital bedside.  

I also was was there at the Church ready to preach or teach when the Pastor was sick, or preaching elsewhere.  We had 37 members in the little IFB Church.  It was never too stressful.

• Moderators

I believe the job of the deacon is to take as much off of his so he can concentrate on the study of the word of God and prayer, so he can be as effectve of a pastor as possible. I have no deacons and we don't really need them with such a small congregation.