• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Named Everybody, Somebody, Anybody And Nobody

Shadowfeathers

• Members

This is a story about four people named Everybody, Somebody, Anybody and NOBody.

There is an important jOB to be done and Everybody was sure Somebody would do it.

Anybody could have done it, but NOBody did it.

Somebody got angry about that, because it was Everybody's jOB.

Everybody thought Anybody could do it, but NOBody realized that Everybody wouldn't do it.

It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody when NOBody did what Anybody could have done.

Enjoy 

G'day y'all

B)

• Members

And consider what it might be like to be the pastor for such a group.

​I'm on our Board of Christian Education so I know the frustration and difficulty our pastors face in dealing with this. No matter what need or position we have to fill it seems like the list of available and willing people to consider has the same names on it each time and each person can only be stretched so far.

• Members

​I'm on our Board of Christian Education so I know the frustration and difficulty our pastors face in dealing with this. No matter what need or position we have to fill it seems like the list of available and willing people to consider has the same names on it each time and each person can only be stretched so far.

​Indeed.  Yet I speak not only concerning the lack of workers who have "a mind to work," and the overburdening of those who do work because they are trying to "fill in" for those members of the body who are not fulfilling their God-given responsibility within the body.  I speak also concerning the sinful attitudes that are so commonly stirred up within such cases (even as the parable above mentioned "Somebody's" anger and "Everybody's" blame-shifting).  So very many "are yet carnal" and "walk as men." (1 Corinthians 3:3)

• Members

Indeed that stuff comes up at times, worse in some churches than others (as well as better in some than others). I've seen this sort of thing lead to the "holier than thou" pride filled workers who come to think very highly of themselves and very low of others since they do so much others aren't doing. This, of course, generates strife which is always bad and dangerous for any church.

As with all things, the closer we abide by Scripture the better things go, and the farther removed we are from walking in the Spirit the worse.

• Members

A topic I have considered.  Frankly, I don't know what everyone does in church.  Maybe the Pastor and the choir if you have one and the ushers.  Obvious what they do.   I have a IFB Pastor/friend that knocks on doors during the week and loves soulwinning.  

Me I love tracting and soulwinning.  One on one mostly.  Albeit in the city.  I am really grateful for what I am able to do.  I guess some people are stuck on what to do. I consider raising a family kind of a calling in a way.  I guess I will pray for the guy next to me.  That looks like he has nothing to do to find his calling.  Salvation sometimes comes with gifts and callings.   

• Members

A topic I have considered.  Frankly, I don't know what everyone does in church.  Maybe the Pastor and the choir if you have one and the ushers.  Obvious what they do.   I have a IFB Pastor/friend that knocks on doors during the week and loves soulwinning.  

Me I love tracting and soulwinning.  One on one mostly.  Albeit in the city.  I am really grateful for what I am able to do.  I guess some people are stuck on what to do. I consider raising a family kind of a calling in a way.  I guess I will pray for the guy next to me.  That looks like he has nothing to do to find his calling.  Salvation sometimes comes with gifts and callings.   

​Soul winning is done without need of direct church involvement here (meaning, we don't have to organize people to do this and then make sure it gets done here).

Many things need done in the church, there are sermons to prepare, Bible studies to prepare for, AWANA and youth groups to prepare for and the need for people to help with these, Sunday school classes need Sunday school teachers, churches with choirs or bell ringers or whatever need someone to lead these and people to participate in them, someone needs to play the piano and/or organ, preparation and clean-up for Lord's Supper, keeping the pews stocked, the church clean, everything kept in working order, repairs, providing help for those in need after a family loss or illness, funeral and wedding matters, food for special events, people to help with special events, and when we think we've got it all covered there are always other things which come up needing time, talent and/or treasure to help. Seasonal matters can be an issue on some churches, from lawn mowing to snow clearing, to parking lot maintenance to gutter cleaning.

These and many more things are going on in most churches so there is always a need for help whether it's something as simple as cooking a meal for a family, filling the cups for Lord's Supper, greeting folks at the door, visiting someone in the hospital, teaching Sunday school, etc.

• Members

That's why in so many of our churches only a handful of people are actively involved. The same small group of people must tend to what needs done because the rest of the congregation is like the above.

​Also some people get involved in everything and others only in what interests them.  

• Members

​Also some people get involved in everything and others only in what interests them.  

​That's true. It's common for some parents to be involved in things their children are involved in but as soon as their children are no longer involved, they end their involvement as well.