• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Now, Don't Get Mad.....

• Members

...But why is it that many of the "IFB" Pastors I talk to about music use the age old excuse, "I just don't know that much about music"? I SURE AM GLAD YOU DON'T FEEL THAT WAY ABOUT SALVATION!!!! Music is NOT neutral. It does have an effect on your spiritual well-being and you should not listen to ungodly music. And that includes southern gospel music. So you don't know that much about music, MAKE IT HAPPEN.

There, I have vented. I feel much better.

• Moderators

Because music is a whole other disciplne, and area of particular study that, in itself, can take years to understand well. They can just accept what others say about it, but with music, its hard to do-its good to understand something of beat and tempo and backbeat and the effect the music and instruments have on the flesh. You're dealing with now both music AND psychology, maybe even some philosophy.  So, that's why. Many pastors believe all they need is knowledge of the Bible, and they're good. However, we are told to study to shew ourselves approved unto God and sometimes that study may be of things outside the Bible as well, to round us well. BUt most figure all they need is Bible. Bible is central, but its not all there is that can be useful.

• Moderators

Agreed, although the "why" was more of a rhetorical question.

You know you can't be rhetorical around here-there's always someone to answer anything, no matter how rhetorical. lol

Though really, with music such a big issue these days, it is a good question for pastors to aks themselves, whether or not it would behoove them to learn more about it, to give a more balanced stance to the issue.

I was raised with music, though never studied it formally. I have thought about doing just that, since I have a good foundation. I have had some good books, but have prOBably lost them when my shelter for my books and such went down in the last storm and everything got heavily rained on. Sad because some are irreplaceable.

• Members

I just started teaching music theory to the kids in our church because music is such a HUGE issue. Example: a lot of good churches will, because they don't know anything about music, allow crossover songs like "In Christ Alone". They say well I don't see anything wrong with that song, but it was made famous by several CCM groups, including MercyMe and Hillsong. Now I once often used the excuse, well I don't sing it like that, but what happens is that a church member hears that song and says "O, I like that!" so they go home and look it up on youtube, and soon you have gotten your church members to begin listening to CCM.

• Members

musician4god1611,

Yea and Amen!

Thank you for the good comments and the quote from Bach. Your spiritual discernment, coming from a musician, carries more weight than the same message coming from a layman. Keep up the fine work. The CCM movement is fleshly, carnal, and some of it outright Satanic. Extememly few of the songs glorifies God.

A pastor with spiritual discernment should recognize the evil in the CCM movement. The lack of spiritual discernment, and courage, is the main prOBlem.

• Moderators

musician4god1611,

Yea and Amen!

Thank you for the good comments and the quote from Bach. Your spiritual discernment, coming from a musician, carries more weight than the same message coming from a layman. Keep up the fine work. The CCM movement is fleshly, carnal, and some of it outright Satanic. Extememly few of the songs glorifies God.

A pastor with spiritual discernment should recognize the evil in the CCM movement. The lack of spiritual discernment, and courage, is the main prOBlem.

Its not so much the ability to discern it, it is when that pastor has to explain WHY it's bad that the lack of training can be difficult. CCM brings the baggage of the same rebellion as secular CCM, but since it's seen by the listeners and practitioners as 'godly', it also carries a false pride and righteous indignation against those who oppose. So unless one can successfully explain it, it is still difficult.

and of course, even if you can explain it, there will be those who just flat-out reject it, regardless of the evidence you give, and will dismiss it as 'That's just your opinion!" I hear that a lot.

• Members

CCM is a big issue, but most Christians who want to live for God won't have a prOBlem if their Pastor tells them to stay away from it. The prOBlem comes with more "borderline" things (I added the quotation marks because I don't want to give the impression that they are less wrong, they are still wicked), like Southern Gospel Music and what I call crossover songs (songs that are enough CCM to appeal to that group but no so CCM to give the Pastor something solid to preach against). I mean, let's face it we all know that Rock and Roll is wrong, but what if you put Gospel words to some very mild Soul Music? And hear is where I see a lot of good churches failing, not for a lack of standards but for a lack of knowledge.

• Moderators

I just started teaching music theory to the kids in our church because music is such a HUGE issue. Example: a lot of good churches will, because they don't know anything about music, allow crossover songs like "In Christ Alone". They say well I don't see anything wrong with that song, but it was made famous by several CCM groups, including MercyMe and Hillsong. Now I once often used the excuse, well I don't sing it like that, but what happens is that a church member hears that song and says "O, I like that!" so they go home and look it up on youtube, and soon you have gotten your church members to begin listening to CCM.

Yes, exactly, and that is why the crossover songs are so dangerous! If I could only get the teens in our church to understand that.    :goodpost:

• Administrators

Yes, exactly, and that is why the crossover songs are so dangerous! If I could only get the teens in our church to understand that.    :goodpost:

I think the best way to get them to understand that is through the medium of the new birth. If they are led of the Spirit they will be able and actually desire to see and do the right thing in relation to what is pleasing to God.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I think the best way to get them to understand that is through the medium of the new birth. If they are led of the Spirit they will be able and actually desire to see and do the right thing in relation to what is pleasing to God.

​Well I agree to a certain extent. There are a lot of good Christians who don't seem to see it so I'm not surprised when some teens don't see it.

​Patience and consistency are the only form of teaching that works with teens.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

​Sorry about that! I would never do that to you on purpose, but that was "slightly" before my time.

​It's all good! Now that you've got me laughing while recalling Meatloaf I'm thinking it's been a long time since I've had a good meatloaf and may I should mention that to my wife!:hungry: