• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Answered Prayer

• Moderators

Praise God!

It's good to see churches active in reaching out like this. We hear a lot of complaining about a lack of good stations and programming on radio and TV yet so few are willing to make the effort to get our own out there.

​Part of it is the FCC.

We had what we hoped was an open door before Musician did. The FCC approved an opportunity to purchase "permits to build". It had been 7 years since the last open window (you can't just decide to build a station). Marconi Broadcasting in R.I. bought over a dozen of the few available. One was for our location (it can only be built in the location the FCC opens up), so Marconi called the churches here to see if there were any interested buyers. We were so we began price negotiations with Marconi. They had already gotten the engineering surveys done and had the surveys approved by FCC. We got them down to $21,000. Understand, what we would be buying is just an FCC permit to build. You then have until the expiration date on the permit window to have a station up and running. You can start at a minimum wattage and upgrade the facilities and equipment later (but must be within 2 years) to the full wattage stipulated on your particular station permitting.

The Lord wouldn't give us peace about buying, which was good because 4 years and a few problems down the road we would have been unable to maintain (we didn't know that but He did). They didn't get any buyers, the window closed, nobody will be able to obtain a permit to build KOOD (they already assign call sign, frequency, and max wattage before they ever make it available) until the next window opens (whenever FCC deems that).

Musician had a little bit different opportunity arise, but it's still not as simple as "Hey, lets build a radio station".

I knew a church whose radio station was shut down after 2 years and the FCC wouldn't give a reason. They wouldn't even give the Congressman a reason. After several months of Congressional pressure they finally said, "There are already plenty of stations in the area of that genre." Reallyyyyyy??? In 2 years, they played less than a dozen songs, it was ALL PREACHING! It's the ONLY station ANYWHERE that I've known of like that.

• Members

No doubt there are many obstacles in our way. The devil certainly doesn't want scripturally sound radio and TV broadcasts covering the land.

In some cities they have public access TV which is open for anyone to use. I've heard people who live in or near cities complain about some of what's broadcast on them, even white power folks had a program on one of those years ago. Some of the Charismatic churches take advantage of the free broadcast opportunities but it seems so rare that sound Baptists take advantage of such.

For a short time there was a public access channel on the (at that time) one and only cable provider network in the area. Someone asked our pastor why there were only Charismatic and Pentecostal preachers on there. Our pastor, like myself, wasn't even aware of the public access channel at that time. Our pastor checked into it, recorded a few "shows" and they began airing on that channel. Unfortunately, only a few aired before that public access channel disappeared and never returned.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Part of it is the FCC.

We had what we hoped was an open door before Musician did. The FCC approved an opportunity to purchase "permits to build". It had been 7 years since the last open window (you can't just decide to build a station). Marconi Broadcasting in R.I. bought over a dozen of the few available. One was for our location (it can only be built in the location the FCC opens up), so Marconi called the churches here to see if there were any interested buyers. We were so we began price negotiations with Marconi. They had already gotten the engineering surveys done and had the surveys approved by FCC. We got them down to $21,000. Understand, what we would be buying is just an FCC permit to build. You then have until the expiration date on the permit window to have a station up and running. You can start at a minimum wattage and upgrade the facilities and equipment later (but must be within 2 years) to the full wattage stipulated on your particular station permitting.

The Lord wouldn't give us peace about buying, which was good because 4 years and a few problems down the road we would have been unable to maintain (we didn't know that but He did). They didn't get any buyers, the window closed, nobody will be able to obtain a permit to build KOOD (they already assign call sign, frequency, and max wattage before they ever make it available) until the next window opens (whenever FCC deems that).

Musician had a little bit different opportunity arise, but it's still not as simple as "Hey, lets build a radio station".

I knew a church whose radio station was shut down after 2 years and the FCC wouldn't give a reason. They wouldn't even give the Congressman a reason. After several months of Congressional pressure they finally said, "There are already plenty of stations in the area of that genre." Reallyyyyyy??? In 2 years, they played less than a dozen songs, it was ALL PREACHING! It's the ONLY station ANYWHERE that I've known of like that.

Broadcast Radio is going the way of TV and newspapers.  You can do an internet radio station easily and cheaply and use advertising and programming creatively for gospel promotion.  I looked into starting a radio station and found out about all the FCC garbage, it's not worth it.

Edited by Saintnow

• Members

If Musician for God succeeds with the radio station, praise the Lord for that.  It just seemed like too much headaches with the FCC.   Internet Radio is wide open and effective advertisement and attention grabbing programming can draw the listeners.  I'm all for anybody who can raise a radio tower and use the public airwaves to spread the gospel, but for me it's too much red tape

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Although I would agree that it is a lot of work, but I would by no means say that it is not worth it. In less than a year of broadcasting we have gotten a tremendous amount of feedback of people who listen to the station, both online and over the air waves. Furthermore, I would assert that the major reason for a Christian radio station is not for the lost at all, but rather for a Godly influence in the lives of our church members. Yes you have to deal with the FCC; but honestly, dealing with them is no worse than dealing with any other branch of the government (less headache than the IRS, believe me!!!). I would highly recommend every pastor consider starting a radio station, however I DO NOT recommend any pastor run a radio station. It's a lot of work and you have to devote a lot of time to it. Get someone else to run it.

• Moderators

Although I would agree that it is a lot of work, but I would by no means say that it is not worth it. In less than a year of broadcasting we have gotten a tremendous amount of feedback of people who listen to the station, both online and over the air waves. Furthermore, I would assert that the major reason for a Christian radio station is not for the lost at all, but rather for a Godly influence in the lives of our church members. Yes you have to deal with the FCC; but honestly, dealing with them is no worse than dealing with any other branch of the government (less headache than the IRS, believe me!!!). I would highly recommend every pastor consider starting a radio station, however I DO NOT recommend any pastor run a radio station. It's a lot of work and you have to devote a lot of time to it. Get someone else to run it.

Also realize that out here is a dearth of "religious" broadcasting (unlike the SE US). The RCC have a station out where he is and there are probably 4 other "Christian" (gag, gag) stations. 200 miles away (where I am) there is only ONE (total) "Christian" station (Ecu-charis-vangelical). We only have 2 secular stations in town and only 3 others that can be picked up.

Edited by OLD fashioned preacher

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Praises to God that you are starting a radio station! I agree with John81 about youtube being someplace to find gospel music and sermons also. I listen to IFB sermons on sermonaudio.com most every day... what a blessing! I rarely ever watch TV anymore, there are a few good sermons and Christian programming on trinity broadcasting channel but there are 5 times as many charismatic ones, sadly.  Everything else on TV (including the commercials) is just too worldly.  So most days are spent on sermonaudio and bible reading/study. Glad I found this site for fellowship with other IFB believer's in the Lord!