• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

How Tough Is A Sheep?

• Moderators

That was...shocking. I mean, I have seen a young 8 month old ram I had go head to head with a full grown Boer buck again and again, and be fine, but I'd never have thought a ram could take down a bull. Granted, the sheep didn't look to good, but at least he was conscious. Wow.  

Edited to add: well, on second look, it wasn't a bull, it was a cow, and she really wasn't full-sized, either, but still, she was twice the size, or more, than the ram, WITH horns, which the ram didn't appear to have. IMpressive. Wonder if the cow lived?

• Members

That wasn't a bull; it was a cow. But, still.

My first little Barbado ram,  about 114lbs. smashed the horns on my big boer goat. Had the bases of the horns split open and bleeding.so I had to separate them. But the ram set upon destroying the steel gate to get back at him again. . He demolished a steel gate and broke the welds on it. I had to put electric fence inside the steel cattle panels, that are holding my present ram, because he was wrecking them and ripping the 1.5": barbed staples right out of the PT posts...and they were nailed in from the INSIDE.. The 5500 volt wires finally stopped him. My wife and daughter are NOT allowed in a pen or pasture with my ram.

Edited by heartstrings

• Moderators

Our young Icelandic ram was actually very nice to us, loved attention from us, but put up with no foolishness from the buck.

Unfortunately, the ram one day got spooked by something and ran head first into a corner of the pen, where the buck pinned him and beat him to death from behind. That was a $600 registered ram. A real loss. That buck went away. Rare to find a friendly ram.