• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Voting Rights Of 1,015 Uk Prisoners Were Breached, Strasbourg Rules

• Members

Back in the 16th century  Henry VIII got the UK final appeal court back from Europe (the papacy).  Our treacherous politicians have in recent years put our laws back to subjection to Europe.  Most of which is RC and therefore minions of the papacy.

A recent ruling of the European Human Rights Court has again said that UK is in breach of its jugments as we refuse to give convicted prisoners the right to vote.  

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/11402325/Voting-rights-of-1015-UK-prisoners-were-breached-EU-court-rules.html

The sooner we leave the EU the better.

• Members

Back in the 16th century  Henry VIII got the UK final appeal court back from Europe (the papacy).  Our treacherous politicians have in recent years put our laws back to subjection to Europe.  Most of which is RC and therefore minions of the papacy.

A recent ruling of the European Human Rights Court has again said that UK is in breach of its jugments as we refuse to give convicted prisoners the right to vote.  

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/11402325/Voting-rights-of-1015-UK-prisoners-were-breached-EU-court-rules.html

The sooner we leave the EU the better.

Surely when they have rejected the rule of law by criminal activity, they have forfeited many rights under the law.

• Members

In choosing to commit crimes, the criminals deprived their victims of their rights to property, health, etc. And the state of the costs of arrest, trial and imprisonment.

Next they will be claiming prison deprives them of their rights to freedom.

But unless we decide to shoot all criminals instead of imprisoning them then we must choose what they get to do and what they don't get to do. We don't deny prisoners opportunities to read and study, so why not give them the opportunity to vote. I'd flip it and make them vote--increase their terms if they didn't. Make them read the manifestos of all the major parties and have them show they understand the election process. It would be too expensive of course, but what a rehabilitation that would be. After all, I expect a lot of prisoners don't care to vote and have never voted.

• Members

But unless we decide to shoot all criminals instead of imprisoning them then we must choose what they get to do and what they don't get to do. We don't deny prisoners opportunities to read and study, so why not give them the opportunity to vote. I'd flip it and make them vote--increase their terms if they didn't. Make them read the manifestos of all the major parties and have them show they understand the election process. It would be too expensive of course, but what a rehabilitation that would be. After all, I expect a lot of prisoners don't care to vote and have never voted.

Yeah, it would be great if convicted felons could elect their own judges.  :clapping:

• Members

My original post was not intended to say whether we should allow prisoners to vote or not.  But that the British parliament has passed a law and has been overruled by a foreign court.

I was responding to Cov, not you, Invicta. The thread moved on--it happens.

But if you want to go back to the OP, I'd challenge your assertion that just because many folk on the continent are nominally Catholic that therefore all the national governments are in thrall to the pope. :icon_smile:

• Members

Yeah, it would be great if convicted felons could elect their own judges.  :clapping:

Don't know about the US but in UK you don't get to elect the judiciary. Separation of powers and all that. And no politician would offer a kind of penal reform on their election manifesto that would appeal only to and be only for prisoners.

• Members

Don't know about the US but in UK you don't get to elect the judiciary. Separation of powers and all that. And no politician would offer a kind of penal reform on their election manifesto that would appeal only to and be only for prisoners.

In the U.S. some judges are elected and some are appointed.

• Members

In the U.S. some judges are elected and some are appointed.

In the UK we have a system of lower courts which are presided over by lay magistrates.  They have limited powers, I believe then can sentence someone for up to  months imprisonment and if they believe a longer sentence is called for they can pass the case up to a crown court.  Alternatively the accused can elect to go to the crown court if he thinks he may get off if he faces a jury.  I believe that magistrates sit in threes.