• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

A Solid 'ifb' Systematic Theology Text

• Members

While I do agree that the Bible the true 'systematic text' we use, I would like to have my hands on a solid systematic theology text book. I currently own wilmingtons guide to the Bible, however he is calvy. Does anyone know of a KJV, dispy, non calv auther of a systematic theology. Someone told me ryrie but he's def calvinist. Lol Appreciate your help. Jordan

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hmmm...I was given a Wilmington's Guide to the Bible many years ago. I haven't spent a lot of time in it, but what little I did, I didn't get a sense of Calvinism from it. Not saying he's not one, because I don't have a clue if he is or not...

Curiosity got the best of me, so I dug the book out...looked at "The Doctrine of Salvation"...and...

From page 747...

4. Some conclusions on salvation's origination. In light of all we have just discussed, what position is the correct one? What are we to believe and teach?

a. The Bible clearly presents in the strongest language both the sovereignty of God and the responsibility of man. Furthermore, these two simply cannot be totally reconciled in the mind of man. To do so would be like attempting to pour the Atlantic Ocean into a small bucket.

So...he either believed this way, or he didn't want to alienate those who hold to Calvinism and those who don't hold to Calvinism. 

I know that was just a cursory overview, and I didn't read much more than that. Just by what little I did read, I wouldn't consider him a Calvinist. A Calvinist sympathizer maybe...?

I don't know...I'm not trying to prove he's not a Calvinist, because I don't know if he is or not, and I'm not going to spend any more time investigating it to find out. And though this might sound bad, it doesn't matter to me what he is/was/will be. 

• Members

I've had a Willmington's Guide to the Bible for 12 years and I've never found anything Calvinistic in it.

God is Sovereign....that's biblical.  However Calvinism stretches God's sovereignty past the point of man's responsibility, making man a "rOBot" and God the author of sin.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

My graduate classes in systematic theology used Millard J. Erickson's Christian Theology. He leans Calvinist in places and I furiously wrote notes in the columns in several places, but he does give a pretty fair treatment of all sides on most issues. The problem is that not many IFB's go on to undertake large works like that and then subsequently go through the effort to get published; so I don't think you're going to find a faithfully IFB systematic theology that is on the same academic level in print.

• Members

The Holy Spirit and the King James Bible has all the theology anyone needs.

​True and accurate statement. However, some people have difficulty connecting all the dots and working out how everything fits together. Reading a quality systematic theology book can greatly benefit someone seeking to learn; though, with everything in life, must be done with discernment. A good one will only reflect the theology drawn from the bible. Truly, it's no different than sitting down with a pastor and going through everything or sitting through a Bible study on fundamentals.