• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Shepherding The Flock - I Have Set Thee A Watchman - Ezekiel 33:1-16

• Members
Meditations in Ezekiel

1.  The Requirement for a Spiritual Watchman

Ezekiel 33:1-2 – “Again the word of the LORD came unto me, saying, Son of man, speak to the children of thy people, and say unto them, When I bring the sword upon a land, if the people of the land take a man of their coasts, and set him for their watchman . . . .”

2.  The Reality of the Spiritual Watchman

Ezekiel 33:2 – “Son of man, speak to the children of thy people, and say unto them, When I bring the sword upon a land, if the people of the land take a man of their coasts, and set him for their watchman . . . .”

Ezekiel 33:7 – “So thou, O son of man, I have set thee a watchman unto the house of Israel; therefore thou shalt hear the word at my mouth, and warn them from me.”

Hebrews 13:17 – “OBey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you.”

3.  The Representation of the Spiritual Watchman

Ezekiel 33:7 – “So thou, O son of man, I have set thee a watchman unto the house of Israel; therefore thou shalt hear the word at my mouth, and warn them from me.”

4.  The Responsibility of the Spiritual Watchman

A.  To watch for the coming judgment of the Lord.

Ezekiel 33:2-3 – “Son of man, speak to the children of thy people, and say unto them, When I bring the 
      sword upon a land, if the people of the land take a man of their coasts, and set him for their watchman: 
      if when he seeth the sword come upon the land, he blow the trumpet, and warn the people . . . .”

B.  To warn the people concerning their sinfulness

1)  With forceful clarity.

Ezekiel 33:2-3 – “Son of man, speak to the children of thy people, and say unto them, When I bring the 
            sword upon a land, if the people of the land take a man of their coasts, and set him for their watchman: 
            if when he seeth the sword come upon the land, he blow the trumpet, and warn the people . . . .”

2)  According to God’s Word.

Ezekiel 33:7 – “So thou, O son of man, I have set thee a watchman unto the house of Israel; therefore 
            thou shalt hear the word at my mouth, and warn them from me

3)  To turn from their sinful ways.

When I say unto the wicked, O wicked man, thou shalt surely die; if thou dost not speak to warn the 
            wicked from his way, that wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at thine hand.  
            Nevertheless, if thou warn the wicked of his way to turn from it; if he do not turn from his way, he 
            shall die in his iniquity; but thou hast delivered thy soul.”

5.  The Rejection of the Spiritual Watchman

Ezekiel 33:4-5a – “Then whosoever heareth the sound of the trumpet, and taketh not warning; if the sword come, and take him away, his blood shall be upon his own head.  He heard the sound of the trumpet, and took not warning; his blood shall be upon him.”

6.  The Reception of the Spiritual Watchman

Ezekiel 33:5b – “But he that taketh warning shall deliver his soul.”

7.  The Release of the Spiritual Watchman

Ezekiel 33:4-5a – “Ezekiel 33:4-5a – “Then whosoever heareth the sound of the trumpet, and taketh not warning; if the sword come, and take him away, his blood shall be upon his own head.  He heard the sound of the trumpet, and took not warning; his blood shall be upon him.”

Ezekiel 33:9 – “Nevertheless, if thou warn the wicked of his way to turn from it; if he do not turn from his way, he shall die in his iniquity; but thou hast delivered thy soul.”

8.  The Rebellion of a Spiritual Watchman

Ezekiel 33:6 – “But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the trumpet, and the people be not warned; if the sword come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at the watchman’s hand.”

Ezekiel 33:8 – “When I say unto the wicked, O wicked man, thou shalt surely die; if thou dost not speak to warn the wicked from his way, that wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at thine hand.”

9.  The Reason for a Spiritual Watchman

Ezekiel 33:10-11 – “Therefore, O thou son of man, speak unto the house of Israel; Thus ye speak, saying, If our transgressions and our sins be upon us, and we pine away in them, how should we then live?  Say unto them, As I live, saith the Lord GOD, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die, O house of Israel?

10.  The Report of the Spiritual Watchman

A.  With the truth of righteousness

Ezekiel 33:12 – “Therefore, thou son of man, say unto the children of thy people, The righteousness of the 
      righteous shall not deliver him in the day of his transgression: as for the wickedness of the wicked, 
      he shall not fall thereby in the day that he turneth from his wickedness; neither shall the righteous be 
      able to live for his righteousness in the day that he sinneth.”

B.  With a warning against recklessness

Ezekiel 33:13 – “When I shall say to the righteous, that he shall surely live; if he trust to his own 
      righteousness, and commit iniquity, all his righteousnesses shall not be remembered; but for his iniquity 
      that he hath committed, he shall die for it.”

C.  With a call to repentance

Ezekiel 33:14-15 – “Again, when I say unto the wicked, Thou shalt surely die; if he turn from his sin, and 
      do that which is lawful and right; if the wicked restore the pledge, give again that he had rOBbed, walk in 
      the statutes of life, without committing iniquity; he shall surely live, he shall not die.”

D.  With a promise of revival

Ezekiel 33:14-16 – “Again, when I say unto the wicked, Thou shalt surely die; if he turn from his sin, and 
      do that which is lawful and right; if the wicked restore the pledge, give again that he had rOBbed, walk in 
      the statutes of life, without committing iniquity; he shall surely live, he shall not die.  None of his sins 
      that he hath committed shall be mentioned unto him: he hath done that which is lawful and right; he 
      shall surely live.”
Please share this post with others:

View the full article

Archived