• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

New From North Carolina

• Members

PcOBle1,

When a person seeks the truth and wants to know whether or not a person who slanders another person is telling the truth, and to prevent a talebearer from speading gossip, and in order to collaborate the accusation,  two men must bear witness as per my previous post.

I never expected you to tell any names, nor do I expect you to tell us the unanamed, "son" of the legalistic pastor. A talebearer, gossiper, or a false witness, is not interested in others learning the full truth. A talebearer is only interested in hurting other people. If you are serious about not wanting the name of the 'legalistic' pastor, the 'legalistic' church, or the son of the 'leagalistic' pastor not known publicly; why not tell it to a moderator, Heartstings, John81, or me in a private post? Is that not fair and according to the scriptures? Quite frankly that would prOBably end this thread.

"He that hateth dissembleth with his lips, and layeth up deceit within him; When he speaketh fair, believe him not; for there are seven abominations in his heart. Whose hatred is covered by deceit, his wickedness shall be shewed before the whole concregration." Proverbs 26:24-26 It may help you be delivered from further 'bondage' and further 'hurt'  and further 'loose lips' if you read the Book of Proverbs closely.

The word dissemble means: "to conceal the real fact, motives, intention or sentiments under some pretense." Maybe a word study on dissembleth, talebearing, or witness, would help you in your effort to find peace of mind and heart.

Talebearing, or gossiping, or spreading information that cannot be verified, among brethren, especially a man of God in the ministry, is an abomination in the sight of God.  My previous post still stands. Two verifiable witnesses must be in agreement to even 'hear', not, 'prove' an accusation against a pastor of a church.

One last thought. I previously assumed that Philip COBle is your real name. Is it a pen name, or an alias, in order to sell books? I know you piously told us that you would not keep any profit; but at this juncture in our communication I am somewhat hesitant to believe that is your real motive and intention.

Will you next book be entitled, "Legalism Among Independent Baptist in the Internet." or, "How I broke the Bondage From Legaism In the Internet Age." or "The Fall of the Independent Baptist Movement due to Legalism."

In my incomplete knowledge of the thoughts and intents of your heart, at this time in this discussion, I feel that your real motive is to hurt the cause of the independent Baptist Church movement. I, as many other independent Baptists, abhor real 'legalism,' hypocrisy,' insincerity,' talebearing,' in any independent Baptist Chruch and if we could all of us would denounce it when appropriate.

Many folks will not buy your current book as you have a personal vendetta against independent Baptist churches, but, let me say this my brother in Christ, I hope that you are a brother in Christ, I, and a lot of other brethren, will be sure to buy your next book to see how you slander us and malign the independent Baptist churches.

"These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him: A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief, A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren." Proverbs 6:16-19 

Edited by AlanTaiwan

• Members

To PcOBle1,

Hear is my reply:

"The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going." Proverbs 14:1

It is prudent, and spiritual, to check out facts, get clear and forthright answers to honest questions. And to discover the true intentions and motives of talebearers. It would help you, and all of us,  if you did a word study on the word 'prudent.' I know that the world, and worldly saints, despise the word 'prudent.' But, it is a good spiritual charicteristic in the heart of the believer.

"The beginning of strife is as when one letteth out water: Therefore leave off contention, before it be meddled with." Proverbs 17:14

I see no spiritual value in continuing a useless discussion with you until you honestly, not piously, consider what you have done in writing a book that Satan is using to hurt the cause of the Lord Jesus Christ among good, Spirit filled men in the ministry. And, then boast about it. Shame on you.

OnLine Baptist is a forum for sincere and honest independent Baptists to discuss things that are important to them and to have an honest discussion among friends and brethren. It is not to spew out malicious slander.

Therefore, "Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit." Proverbs 26:5 Unless I feel, by sincere prayer, to continue talking with you, I am terminiating my discussion with you in any thread.

In answer to Genevanpreacher,

Amen! and Praise the Lord! Thank you brother! You have restored my belief to continue with other threads on OnLine Baptist.

AlanTaiwan

Edited by AlanTaiwan

• Members

You may think what you like. If you would have taken the time to read the book, instead of just the introduction you would realize that my focus is moving into the freedom of Christ. I do apologize about the  title. I did not hold that back for any reason. You have succeeded. I will get out of this forum. While some are kind and helping me with scriptures and view. Alan you seem just like what I am talking about in my book. I am NOT going to take anymore of my time dealing with angry people. Thank you to those who made comments about how many Independent Baptist are out there that have stayed with the Word. I hope and pray our area will get some of those churches. If all you see is bad, you tend to think they are all that way. Thank you for correcting me on that insight. There is really nothing else for me to say. Thanks especially to John who really gave some good comments. Alan, not to be called a brother is harsh. I will not respond to anymore of your comments, or even read them. You can not pass judgement without reading the book. Wait, you are not supposed to pass judgement on me if I am a brother or not. It is you and your anger I will pray about. Hey, I bet you are angry right now.

• Moderators

John, that is hitting the nail on the head. That is exactly what I got caught up in. We had good preachers from around the country preach at our church. Back in the day, Curtis Hudson, Dr. Lee ROBinson, Carl Hatch. My pastor visited Indiana and everything went down hill after that. Changes, preaching style, standards, (not biblical standards) his opinion. A trip to Texas and back did me in. He took the church to a bondage level. If you showed up to a bus meeting without a tie, you got raked over the coals. Just saying. I left and went to two other churches. After being there for awhile I realized it was the same thing going on, just different ways. I even questioned about the guys wearing shorts. Pastor said it was OK. Before you would be dismissed from any church function. Independent is an understatement. It was still legalistic. There is so much that I have experienced. That is why I wrote the book. I Love the Lord, I am not angry, I believe in KJV, Soul winning, Bus Ministry, Godly standards, God honoring music. I just don't like the bondage so many preachers and churches place on it's members that does not come from God's Word. Example

No singing specials without being a member of the choir. (It did not matter that I was running sound board for choir and could not be in it)

No saying Amen if you are not living a perfect life.

White Shirt required if you go on the platform, not to mention a tie always.

Ladies must wear dresses, of course that is not a bad idea, but if you came in medical scrubs from work, you could not do

anything.

Hair, no facial hair, hair must not touch ears. 

Ladies could not have short hair.

Miss going out Soul winning, you were confronted and made to feel guilty.

Bible, if you had tabs, you were made fun of. You were told you did not know where the books of the bible were.

There are so many things I could write a book, wait....I did.

I'd have a hard time at this church:

I say Amen, but I'm not perfect-I just agree with what's being said. One can see and agree with truth, even if their life isn't perfect-its called growing.

I wear a beard (also I am quite fat, which would send me out of some churches who would see me as a glutton)

Sometimes my hair...touches my ears! Though at that point it tends to curl a lot so har to tell.

I wear a lot of colored shirts, (I'm not racist!), as well as some silly ties-even have some with SpongebOB, Peanuts, and such. And I don't always wear dark blue or black suits-I have grey, and green, as well.

Now, my wife always wears dresses. She is a nurse, but dealt with the scrubs thing by making her own scrub dresses. They are very nice, lots of designs. Oh, though she does wear flip-flops a lot, even to church-heretick! lol

We don't soul-win every week, because honestly, we can hit everyone here in about three weekends. very small area. If we tried to go every week, we'd just be wearing out our welcome very quickly.

My wife, 'Mrs. Pastor,' has tabs in her Bible, and we recommend them to anyone new to Christianity, or anyone who wants to be serious because they are a help to learn where things are. Better than having people completely miss being able to follow along because they spend five minutes looking for the scripture. (by the way, she knows her Bible very well and doesn't need the tabs-just a very old Bible).

I guess we'd be welcome in very few IFB churches of this sort.

I had a fellow come preach, from Kentucky, Johnny "The Baptist" Campbell. He's been an evangelist for some 30 years and he's a big fellow, like me. he told me of churches that set him up to preach, then refused to let him because of his size. Told me about places I wouldn't be welcome because I have a beard. Its sad that so many churches put silly rules on their people, a yoke that serves to offend and refuse folks, rather than welcoming them. Not everyone is where another is.

I suspect all of us here know of some legalistic IFB churches, places that put heavy burdens upon their people that they ought not-I know of one in Reno that I used to attend, that I would not attend again, though I won't name it. No facial hair if you want to serve in any capacity. I not long back heard some preaching from the pastor at a meeting I attended-it was weak and vapid, about how if one is not 'happy', then one is in sin. Made me wonder how happy Jesus was as He wept in the garden, or wept over Jerusalem, or wept over those who could not grasp who he was when He was to resurrect Lazarus, or how happy He was when he overturned the tables in the temple and cast the moneychangers out, or when peter denied Him thrice. Or how happy Paul was while in prison and admitted that no one stood with him-guess he was jumping with pleasure. Happy is an emotion-joy is a fruit of the Spirit-one can have joy in the Lord, while not being happy.

All this being said, in over 30 years IFB, I have found that not all IFB churches are the same. I have attended large ones (Midway Baptist and Lighthouse Baptist in San Diego, First Baptist in Long Beach), and small ones, (Lighthouse Baptist and Reno Baptist Temple and Open Door Baptist in Reno, NV, and of course, Bible Baptist in Herlong, where I pastor), and mid-sized (Faith Baptist in Hopewell VA), as well as visiting many others in between for various meetings and while travelling, and I find that not one of them is exactly like the other. We cannot place them all as one, lump them together. There are some I would have nothing to do with ever again, and others I would gladly join my lot to were my situation here to change.

I decided many years back to be an IFB because I believe in the core doctrines and fellowship it stands for, but that being said, they are not perfect, some more, some less, not even me. To me, IFB, in its ideal form, merely represents Biblical Christianity, a name chose to set themselves apart from others who have gone liberal. And while not all have remained true to that model, it is still the standard to which I seek: sola scriptura, Bible first and foremost, above any man or other writer or document, salvation by grace through faith alone, Jesus as only Saviour and Redeemer, second Person of the Godhead, security of salvation, literal heaven and Hell/Lake of Fire. If some have moved away, that's between them and the Lord-I will stay where I am and seek to follow the Lord as best as I can.