• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Music Writing Software.

Invicta

• Members

Thanks OFP.

I think that is a bit too technical for me.  

The troube with giving just chords for hymns is that unless you have the book they are taken from you don't know which tune they use.  I once had a book of hymns for autoharp which just gave the chords and for a lot of them,  and many I just couldn't work out which tune they used.  Some hymns have many alternate tunes.  One hymn in our book gives seven tunes.  

One hymn I like is I will sing of my redeemer. to the tune of My Redeemer, but one book I have gives the first tune as Blaenwern with an alternate tune, Hyfrydol, but our hymnbook uses There's a light upon the mountains, a tune which I think is completely unsuitable.

Edited by Invicta

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Thanks OFP.

The troube with giving just chords for hymns is that unless you have the book they are taken from you don't know which tune they use.  I once had a book of hymns for autoharp which just gave the chords and for a lot of them,  and many I just couldn't work out which tune they used.  Some hymns have many alternate tunes.  One hymn in our book gives seven tunes.  

One hymn I like is I will sing of my redeemer. to the tune of My Redeemer, but one book I have gives the first tune as Blaenwern with an alternate tune, Hyfrydol, but our hymnbook uses There's a light upon the mountains, a tune which I think is completely unsuitable.

Chords alone are about as useless as trying to sing to guitar chords without a lead singer. The examples of autoharp don't provide singable tunes. 

I still think Praise will give all the tunes you could possibly want, in the format you want, at a very good value £10. You can always use your old words, but you might find the revised words satisfactory. We used it from its publication (when it was 1/2 price.

• Moderators

Thanks OFP.

Sorry, I thought you knew the tune (had it in your head) and couldn't find chording. If the hymn is in "Cyberhymnal" online it will play the melody line and then you can supply the chords.

No, without a melody line then chords are useless.

I can break the previous post down to step by step basics if anyone later wants it (I've managed to teach a lot of raw beginners), just didn't want to spend the time and space when bed was calling.

• Members

Yes I had the tune to  Come for the Feast is Spread.

Here are the chords I use for Come for the feast is spread.  In Sankey’s it is in   Bbut I usually play it in G.  Music is on Cyber Hymnal I believe. This gives me the tune but I am not sure it sounds quite right at times.

G                       C

Come for    the feast is spread

D      C        D7 G

Hark to     the ca-ll

C

Come to    the living bread

D      D7         G

Brok-en   for   all

D                   D7           

Come to his “house of wine”

G               D7        G

Low on his breast re-cline

C    

All that he hath is thine

D         D7        G

Come sin-ner come

When playing with our piano or the grand piano at church I play it in Bbut on the piano in our rear hall, which is ½ tone down, I play it in A.

I have just bought an autoharp on Ebay, and if it is any good, I may tune my current one ½ tone down to match the low piano and it should give me more keys to play in with other hymns.

I have got to the stage where I need to put some Voltarol on my hands after a few minute playing, I saw the doc today and I should have asked him for a prescription.  I am still suffering from the dreaded lurgi it is 5 weeks now, the doc said it could last 6, but he sent me for a chest xray tomorrow (Sat) and a blood test Tuesday.  I was hoping to see my son in London today before he flies back to USA tomorrow, but I wasn’t up to it, but my daughter was planning to meet him. 

Edited by Invicta

• Moderators

Yes I had the tune to  Come for the Feast is Spread.

Here are the chords I use for Come for the feast is spread.  In Sankey’s it is in   Bbut I usually play it in G.  Music is on Cyber Hymnal I believe. This gives me the tune but I am not sure it sounds quite right at times.

I took the liberty to edit your post with a recommendation for the chording. This was the easiest way to reply. I'm not familiar with the song but while listening on Cyber Hymnal, I followed on the guitar. I also looked at the PDF sheet music. I don't know if your word placement on some of the movement matched mine, but the chording works fine measure to measure in listening to the tune and matching the sheet music.

I actually used a couple of chord inversions to get the voice leading to sound right (and 2 bass runs) when playing but didn't bother noting them since you're playing autoharp.

Anyway, look at your post above and try playing it with the chording I placed in your post. If the chording doesn't work for you-- record you or someone else singing it and send it PM (if that can be done) and I will match chord to vocals for you.

• Members

I took the liberty to edit your post with a recommendation for the chording. This was the easiest way to reply. I'm not familiar with the song but while listening on Cyber Hymnal, I followed on the guitar. I also looked at the PDF sheet music. I don't know if your word placement on some of the movement matched mine, but the chording works fine measure to measure in listening to the tune and matching the sheet music.

I actually used a couple of chord inversions to get the voice leading to sound right (and 2 bass runs) when playing but didn't bother noting them since you're playing autoharp.

Anyway, look at your post above and try playing it with the chording I placed in your post. If the chording doesn't work for you-- record you or someone else singing it and send it PM (if that can be done) and I will match chord to vocals for you.

Thanks but your chords didn't appear

Thanks I will try that.

Years ago I had an LP or two of Kilby snow, but I don't know what happened to them.  Today I came across about five items by him on Youtube. Only one has a video.  Kilby Snow Plays Troubles.;  If only my fingers would move like that.  He seems to use the autoharp the other way round from most using the thumb pick on the higher strings.

• Members

Concerning your earlier statement that my chord didn't appear -- I didn't add my chord with yours, I actually replaced the ones in your post with mine.

Sorry I did notice that after I wrote that, but I didn't think that I had posted it otherwise I would have edited that instead of writing a new post. 

Edited by Invicta

• Members

Well I started by reading the manual.  My wife said "Really?"  She says my motto is "If all else fails, read the directions."  The after several tries which I had to erase as I  made a mistake in the setup which I couldn't work out how to correct, I set up the first page with the number of bars (or measures, 17)  the clef and the key and the time, then the notes for the first bar, so it looks promising, thank you  Thew music I am entering is Where are the reapers?

• Members

Covenanter,

I have been given a Praise music book.  It has no covers, the pages are well thumbed and it only hes the las page of the first hymns and the last page of the index is missing, but I have had a look and played some of the hymns, but I find the print rather light and I can't read the chords easily from a playable position, but we'll give is ago and if I get on with it I will make a new binding for it.

• 5 months later...
  • Members

I now wish to transpose some hymns and wondered if there is any software which will enable to write the melody lines with chords above and words below.  I could write them out by hand but it is not too easy these days as I have arthritis in my hands and my writing is not all that legible.  I did find a commercial package but it was quite expensive and I would not want to write vary many.

I'm not sure if you ever got an answer but I use noteflight.com. It serves my needs. If you get confused as to how to do what you want just PM me or google it.

• Members

I'm not sure if you ever got an answer but I use noteflight.com. It serves my needs. If you get confused as to how to do what you want just PM me or google it.

Thank you I will look at in a few days after I have had time to upgrade to Win 10.