• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Do You Believe That Divorce And Remarriage Is Acceptable ?

• Moderators

Malachi 2:16..........he hateth putting away.......

Matthew 5 31It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement: 32But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

That means, if you find out that mom or dad is doing things that could bring a STD into the home or is molesting the children, or someone else's children, or  has announced that he/she

is "gay" or any other type of sexual perversion, it's a dangerous situation that God Himself (Jesus) doesn't expect a spouse to live in. Actually, according to the Law, those are already punishable by death. Any other  "irreconcilable differences" are not really "irreconcilable differences" and just need to be worked out.

Yup.

And yet I have shown that divorce and remarriage is not always sin, directly from scripture, but you say "divorce is one sin, remarriage is one sin."  Not always, according to scripture.

I know those scriptures too and agree with them. However, just now, I thought of the "hardness of heart" and think this (hardness) is not God's will. So, I'm forgiven either way and it is humbling.

• Members

Personally I am convinced that divorce is acceptable if the conditions meet the Lord's very specific fornication criteria.

BIG however though on the issue of remarriage, I don't see the same "go ahead" with remarriage (in the below context from the Gospels)

Another issue to raise concerning this text: That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery. The reversed text dealing with the husband, reverses the roles in this scenario IMO.

Heartstrings explanation of this text is one possible interpretation but contextually this text could be interpreted in at least 3 ways without a clearly defined way to rule out any of the 3.

Could be the wife's fornication but I sincerely doubt it, I think that is the least likely of the 3. If it were her fornication she was already committing adultery so the last part of the text would then be irrelevant.

Could be the safety and health issue Heartstrings mentioned, but I have a measure of doubt on that one too since at the time STDs were present most likely but undiscovered, defined or realized by anyone as were pretty much all medical prOBlems.

Most likely IMO is that the fornication mentioned was committed by the husband in this scenario which explains why it is then acceptable for the divorced wife to remarry without committing adultery (wasn't any fault of hers). The whole trust and peace in marriage goes out the window when a dude gets caught, making his life misery in the flesh unless he does release her from the marriage.

So, "if" this is the most reasonable interpretation then this does not give the offending husband any go ahead in remarriage.

Now in the instructions to NT churches (you know, born again people who now have the Spirit abiding within them), particularly ICor 7 put all the hub bub about marrying into a real perscpective for us. IOW: it is basically a waste of time on earth to worry over it but since we are weak and can't live on our own apparently, God knows we will marry and divorce and marry and divorce and .....on marriage it does say that remarriage is not sin but trouble in the flesh and boy HOWDY is it.

Edited by wretched

• Members

so I read this a couple of days ago and it upset me so much that i decided to wait until I cooled off to reply. lol :coverlaugh:

Now in the instructions to NT churches (you know, born again people who now have the Spirit abiding within them), particularly ICor 7 put all the hub bub about marrying into a real perscpective for us. IOW: it is basically a waste of time on earth to worry over it but since we are weak and can't live on our own apparently, God knows we will marry and divorce and marry and divorce and .....on marriage it does say that remarriage is not sin but trouble in the flesh and boy HOWDY is it.

1 corinthains 7 is speaking of pauls opinion of what virgins should do it is speaking of a married or divorced person when it says it is ok to marry Jesus says in 3 of the Gospels that for a divorced person to remarry is adultery. do you think paul is saying it is not a sin to commit adultery?

, God knows we will marry and divorce and marry and divorce and .....on marriage it does say that remarriage is not sin but trouble in the flesh and boy HOWDY is it.

that is ridiculous God also knows that we will lie, steal ,and maybe even murder. but a Christians are not to do those thing cause Christ commanded us not to 1 john 2 says And hereby do we know that we know him, if we keep his commandments He that saith I know Him and keepeth not his commandments is a liar and the truth is not in him.

question; is it a sin to commit adultery? i know that God can(and will) forgive but Hebrews says For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,

• Members

so I read this a couple of days ago and it upset me so much that i decided to wait until I cooled off to reply. lol :coverlaugh:

1 corinthains 7 is speaking of pauls opinion of what virgins should do it is speaking of a married or divorced person when it says it is ok to marry Jesus says in 3 of the Gospels that for a divorced person to remarry is adultery. do you think paul is saying it is not a sin to commit adultery?

that is ridiculous God also knows that we will lie, steal ,and maybe even murder. but a Christians are not to do those thing cause Christ commanded us not to 1 john 2 says And hereby do we know that we know him, if we keep his commandments He that saith I know Him and keepeth not his commandments is a liar and the truth is not in him.

question; is it a sin to commit adultery? i know that God can(and will) forgive but Hebrews says For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,

Only your personal indoctrination is ridiculous in this chapter friend. Read it again carefully for yourself without your judgmental notions and you will see it clearly. God addresses virgins, married and the divorced in this chapter; ie, everyone.

Verses 25-30 is the gist of what I am conveying. Marriage matters zero to the born again Christian in God's eyes. It is a distraction at best and holds the believer back from following Christ at the worst.
Whatever position you came to a saving knowledge in Christ was is what it should remain without the fleshly need to keep "improving" your lot in this physical life. If you came married stay, if you came divorced, stay; if you came a servant, be content in it: etc. Unfortunately most IFB churches place more emphasis on married couples/families than single which is definitely backwards from Scripture.

Your fixation on divorce makes little Scriptural sense, it tends to turn what could be a useful Christian for God into a bitter judge of your fellow Christians. Get over it and yourself and drive on for God.
Fornication is always sin, marriage is not but will cause trouble in the flesh. Our Lord in the Gospels was speaking to the Jews on divorce and refuting their hypocritical attempts to live by the law as He always did during His ministry on earth.

Hebrews says For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,

If you are saved then you never commit sins of co-mission? By your interpretation their is no more willful sin from a Christian. So, fighting, arguing, and bitterness with a fellow Christian is not a sin of co-mission? So, teaching the law after salvation is not a sin of co-mission? Go read what Paul and Peter did. 

Yep, Jesus Christ is the only sacrifice for sin there will be no other sacrifice for our sins.

Are you walking as Christ walked?