• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Do You Believe That Divorce And Remarriage Is Acceptable ?

• Members

I believe that every sin you commit that the Holy Spirit convicts you of and you do not repent is a sin unto death.

any one can enjoy fellowship with God but if one does not repent (turn away)  from there sin they will not enjoy Gods fellowship

Can you elaborate on this please, all of it?

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that every sin you commit that the Holy Spirit convicts you of and you do not repent is a sin unto death.

any one can enjoy fellowship with God but if one does not repent (turn away)  from there sin they will not enjoy Gods fellowship

I have some questions, for understanding, if you will permit me. (1) Do you believe a divorced/remarried man or woman is required to leave that remarried state before they can have forgiveness? (2) Is my first question what you mean when you say "if one does not repent (turn away)  from there sin they will not enjoy Gods fellowship"? (3) Will this same divorced/remarried person be denied salvation?

• Moderators

I encourage you to read my two posts, #7 & 13, which are the words of the Bible on the subject, including Jesus' own words. Please read them and consider them. I appreciate your zeal, but it can't be how YOU see it, but according to knowledge, to what the Bible says. I don't consider myself an expert on all things Bible, but I have studied this out pretty well and its not complicated. We believers just tend to look at things and make assumptions based on what is written. Like, does 'husband of one wife' mean only married once, or just having one wife you are married to? I would have to say, by Jesus' words to the woman at the well in Samaria, it clearly means married to just one woman, not never having been married and divorced, since in His eyes, she had HAD five husbands, but in fact HAD, at that time, NO husband.

• Members

Sadly, too many believe that if one believes as the Bible teaches, that divorce DOES have acceptable reasons, even by God, that it ipso-facto means one is pro-divorce. I think most people who have been divorced are generally very anti-divorce, having been through the pain and trouble it inevitably causes.

I love my wife dearly, but if I could go back in time with the lessons I have learned, I would have done things differently in my first marriage. Of course, one of those things I would have done differently is to NOT marry my first wife, because I know we were incompatible, particularly spiritually, but not living a God-centered life when I met her, it was all about hormones. I suppose if I could have gone back in time, I would have gone to meet the woman I am married to now, and began a relationship with her...well, except that she wasn't saved until much later in life.

So really, its a good things we can't go back, because we would still mess things up!

Aint that the truth brother

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

ok im back :)

I have some questions, for understanding, if you will permit me. (1) Do you believe a divorced/remarried man or woman is required to leave that remarried state before they can have forgiveness? (2) Is my first question what you mean when you say "if one does not repent (turn away)  from there sin they will not enjoy Gods fellowship"? (3) Will this same divorced/remarried person be denied salvation?

(1) 1 Corinthians 7:11 But and if she depart, let her remain unmarried, or be reconciled to her husband:anyone can have forgiveness, but you tell me can one be a follower of Christ and not follow Christ? (2) maybe I should say it this way "when I was living in sin I could not enjoy Gods fellowship"

(3)no one will be denied salvation. murderers will not be denied salvation, but murders must repent(if you get my drift)

• Members

I encourage you to read my two posts, #7 & 13, which are the words of the Bible on the subject, including Jesus' own words. Please read them and consider them. I appreciate your zeal, but it can't be how YOU see it, but according to knowledge, to what the Bible says. I don't consider myself an expert on all things Bible, but I have studied this out pretty well and its not complicated. We believers just tend to look at things and make assumptions based on what is written. Like, does 'husband of one wife' mean only married once, or just having one wife you are married to? I would have to say, by Jesus' words to the woman at the well in Samaria, it clearly means married to just one woman, not never having been married and divorced, since in His eyes, she had HAD five husbands, but in fact HAD, at that time, NO husband.

i am trying my best to look at the subject through the light of the Bible. i am not trying to knock you so please don't take offense but when you got remarried what did you think Luke 16;18(and other accounts of this in the Gospels) meant?  notice it does not say husband of one wife at a time. also as you said "We believers just tend to look at things and make assumptions based on what is written" we don't know if the woman at the well divorced those 5 husbands or they died.in any case does Jesus ever condone divorce or remarriage?

• Members

In answer to this topic - Yes I believe Divorce and Re-marriage is acceptable.

In accordance with the scriptures, and including the Lord's forgiveness and direction.

do you believe that murder is acceptably? they are together in James 2 all can be forgiven but does that make it right or acceptable?

• Moderators

i am trying my best to look at the subject through the light of the Bible. i am not trying to knock you so please don't take offense but when you got remarried what did you think Luke 16;18(and other accounts of this in the Gospels) meant?  notice it does not say husband of one wife at a time. also as you said "We believers just tend to look at things and make assumptions based on what is written" we don't know if the woman at the well divorced those 5 husbands or they died.in any case does Jesus ever condone divorce or remarriage?

As I said, look at my posts because pretty much all I did was quote scripture.

Jesus' reply to the woman about her former 5 husbands, then adding that the man she was with currently wasn't her husband, (hence, living together in sin), sounds suspiciously accusatory.

However, yes, Jesus clearly did condone divorce when He said that one could divorce over the sin of fornication. But remember, we need to take this argument beyond Jesus' ministry, unless you believe that anything else is not scripture, and thus we need to consider that Paul said that a believer married to an unbeliever, if the unbeliever left them, they were not bound to them, which clearly tells me that yes, you could be divorced and remarry.

Again, its true in the issue of a bishop, that it doesn't say one wife at a time. However, it also doesn't say "divorced", so either way we are making an assumption. However, I believe that if it meant divorce, it would clearly say 'divorced".   When Paul gave this instruction, it was not just to Israel, but to ALL churches at all times at all places-it applies very generally-thus, especially at the time of the writing, people in various places still married multiple wives, and this makes the most sense in the context.

Let's also consider it against the direction given in widows being taken into the care of the church-there Paul makes it very clear when he says, "Having been the wife of one man" So, this clearly means to have never been divorced. If this was what Paul meant in context of bishops, why not use the same language, "Having been the husband of one wife", which would make it much clearer that it referred to divorce?

Things in the BIble are written they way they are for a reason, and we should accept the clearest reading whenever possible, taking into account also the other passages on the subject.

So, Jesus said divorce over fornication was acceptable, Paul added that one was not in bondage to an unbelieving spouse, indicating it was alright to be remarried under this circumstance, and that if believing spouses divorced, they should stay unmarried, or remarry one another-so, yeah, divorced.

Not seeing the difficulty here, if one isn't assuming things that aren't there. And I am not accusing you, because I have done it myself, and prOBably in places still do-we're not perfect, but I believe taking all the passages on the subject into consideration, Yes, there are acceptable reasons to be divorced, and even remarried.

• Moderators

do you believe that murder is acceptably? they are together in James 2 all can be forgiven but does that make it right or acceptable?

Matt 19:9

And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

1Cor 7:10-15

And unto the married I command, yet not I, but the Lord, Let not the wife depart from her husband: But and if she depart, let her remain unmarried, or be reconciled to her husband: and let not the husband put away his wife.  But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away. And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him. For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace.

Clearly divorce is not an ideal thing, nor does the Bible 'endorse" divorce, nor do I. But let the Bible speak for itself. There are acceptable reasons given for divorce and remarriage. This doesn't mean we should look for reasons, it just means that yes, for your answer, the Bible, both Jesus and Paul, does give reasons for divorce.

And of course, in its morst cases, it is a sin like other sins, and while we should eschew sin, if we do sin, we are forgiven for our sin. Does this mean that we pile sin on sin by divorcing the second married spouse? No, God can bless even that. After all, God sanctified the marriage between David and Bathsheba, even though it was born in great sin, because it is through that line that Jesus Christ was born, through Solomon's line. Again, it doesn't mean go ahead and sin, because it's not ideal, not right, and often, as in the case with David, though he was forgiven and the marriage sanctified, much harm was done both in David's family and rule, but also it gave the enemy the opportunity to speak much evil of God and His people.

So, if you have divorced and remarried, it is a sin also to divorce your current wife, unless for the reasons given in scripture, just as it might have been in the first, so we don't "fix" sin by sinning again, we do it by giving it to Christ  in confession, and then moving on from where you are and seeking God's blessing upon it.

Acceptable vs. Forgiven

Which sin is “acceptable?” I believe in the one and done principle of God’s word.

One sin is no greater than another.

John 8:7   So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

1 John 1:8   If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

Once forgiveness is imparted for a sin it’s done.

1 John 1:9   If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Psalms 103:12   As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us.

Divorce is one sin. Divorced remarrying is one sin. Once forgiven it is done.

Satan loves to present past forgiven sin repeatedly to the Christian, hoping to discourage their ministry. Those who have divorced and remarried are already limited in their ministry within the church. Satan would have them completely marginalized in their desire to serve God.

We have been called to peace on this matter.

1 Corinthians 7:15   But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace.

Don’t condemn yourself for that which you allow.

• Members

Acceptable vs. Forgiven

Which sin is “acceptable?” I believe in the one and done principle of God’s word.

John 8:7   So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

1 John 1:8   If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

1 John 1:9   If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Psalms 103:12   As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us.

Satan loves to present past forgiven sin repeatedly to the Christian, hoping to discourage their ministry. Those who have divorced and remarried are already limited in their ministry within the church. Satan would have them completely marginalized in their desire to serve God.

1 Corinthians 7:15   But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace.

Now that's good reading!

• Moderators

Acceptable vs. Forgiven

And yet I have shown that divorce and remarriage is not always sin, directly from scripture, but you say "divorce is one sin, remarriage is one sin."  Not always, according to scripture.

• Members

Malachi 2:16..........he hateth putting away.......

Matthew 5 31It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement: 32But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

That means, if you find out that mom or dad is doing things that could bring a STD into the home or is molesting the children, or someone else's children, or  has announced that he/she

is "gay" or any other type of sexual perversion, it's a dangerous situation that God Himself (Jesus) doesn't expect a spouse to live in. Actually, according to the Law, those are already punishable by death. Any other  "irreconcilable differences" are not really "irreconcilable differences" and just need to be worked out.

Edited by heartstrings