• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Do You Believe That Divorce And Remarriage Is Acceptable ?

• Members

Speaking on marriage and divorce, if an unsaved man and woman are living together, and they have children out of wedlock, and the man eventually becomes saved, but the woman does not, the question is what should the man do. If the man marries the woman, that would be being unequally yoked, and could lead to temptations to divorce in the future. If the man leaves the woman rather than getting married to her, what would he have to do with his children? Some people strangely believe in this situation the man should marry the woman, even though there is an unequal yoke.

IMO, this is an example of confusing not OT law but human law with NT instructions for believers.

Since there are no documents indicating marriage in the Bible (OT or NT) and no vows indicated (OT or NT) or even a hint at a marriage ceremony "ordained" or explained by God, then in God's eyes they have been married all along.

The only indicator of the union of marriage I see in the Bible is when the man takes her into his bed, that is the marriage ceremony in God's eyes. When a man takes a woman to bed without the intent to commit to her as husband, God calls it fornication and hates it.

Might as well keep going as is or sign the manmade paper saying they are married (the right thing to do by human government, which God did ordain)

If the man got saved his concern over the souls of his family will drive him to witness. If the wife rejects it won't be long before she separates herself from him anyway, or may stay, rejecting, but happy with the dude. All of which is right according to the NT.

• Members

I have a lot of sympathy with Wretched's view. If we go down mkrishna's route, we end up with all sorts of bizarre scenarios. For example, we might say that if one of an unsaved couple who got married at a drive-thru wedding venue and have kids got saved, they ought to stay with the family for the sake of not committing the sin of divorce. But if the same unsaved couple didn't have any papers, the saved person would be perfectly free to dump his family, and maybe ought to do so for the sake of not being unequally yoked. Even though the devastation caused to the kids and their mother would be the same either way.

Can you imagine: three kids in the house and the mother bedridden with some long-term illness and the father comes home and says, "I have been reborn in Christ and am now a new man! And the first thing I'm gonna do is leave all of you--have a nice life!".

Mind you, doesn't Christian in Pilgrim's Progress do that?

• Members

Deu_24:1  When a man hath taken a wife, and married her, and it come to pass that she find no favour in his eyes, because he hath found some uncleanness in her: then let him write her a bill of divorcement, and give it in her hand, and send her out of his house.
Deu_24:2  And when she is departed out of his house, she may go and be another man's wife.
Deu_24:3  And if the latter husband hate her, and write her a bill of divorcement, and giveth it in her hand, and sendeth her out of his house; or if the latter husband die, which took her to be his wife;
Deu_24:4  Her former husband, which sent her away, may not take her again to be his wife, after that she is defiled; for that is abomination before the LORD: and thou shalt not cause the land to sin, which the LORD thy God giveth thee for an inheritance.

• Members

this verse would seem to imply that remarriage is not sin. It does not say, loose, as in never married. It says loosed, as in you were bound, but are now loosed.

I think the key is in the beginning of the verse... Seek not to be loosed. We should not look for excuses why our spouse is not for us. But, if divorce does happen, there is no sin in remarrying.

Any prOBlem in marriage can be faced without having to draw up divorce papers. However, not all people will omit divorce as an option if they feel their spouse scarred them mentally or physically. Hurt goes a long way... Especially if one is not willing to let the Lord be the One in control

in verse 25 it says" concerning virgins" so personally I dont believe it is talking about second marriage .

How do you say there is no sin in remarrying when you read mathew 5 and mark 10

• Members

According to Deuteronomy, it's exactly what they should continue doing, therefore implying that the remarriage is a one-time sin, but once it's done, it's done. The remarried party is now - oops - married to the second dpouse, and it's certainly not adultery to live with one's spouse!

You know, this topic has been hashed and rehashed. You can search and find out what the other threads all said if you're interested. Why don't you try expanding your interest here to other subjects?

I would have to disagree with your view here.

If a gay couple would ask to join your church no doubt you would say that they were not living right even though they have a marriage licences

you would expect them to change. why do you not expect those with somebody else's  spouse to do the same ?

• Moderators

I would have to disagree with your view here.

If a gay couple would ask to join your church no doubt you would say that they were not living right even though they have a marriage licences

you would expect them to change. why do you not expect those with somebody else's  spouse to do the same ?

You're comparing apples and oranges here. We're discussing the Biblical restrictions on a legitimate activity (marriage between a man and a woman). Using a forbidden activity (sodomy) as an example to discuss the first is a fallacious argument. It's like trying to say "If A=B, then C=D." Doesn't work.  Feel free to disagree, though. :)

Pardon me, but you seem rather fixated on this subject. Why don't you tell us what's prompting this discussion on your end?

• Members

I have a lot of sympathy with Wretched's view. If we go down mkrishna's route, we end up with all sorts of bizarre scenarios. For example, we might say that if one of an unsaved couple who got married at a drive-thru wedding venue and have kids got saved, they ought to stay with the family for the sake of not committing the sin of divorce. But if the same unsaved couple didn't have any papers, the saved person would be perfectly free to dump his family, and maybe ought to do so for the sake of not being unequally yoked. Even though the devastation caused to the kids and their mother would be the same either way.

Can you imagine: three kids in the house and the mother bedridden with some long-term illness and the father comes home and says, "I have been reborn in Christ and am now a new man! And the first thing I'm gonna do is leave all of you--have a nice life!".

Mind you, doesn't Christian in Pilgrim's Progress do that?

Pilgrims progress is an allegory of a Christians salvation and his attempt to live a Christian life in spite of the world and the people around him that refused to listen to the truth and be redeemed.  John Bunyan wrote another book after Pilgrims Progress named Christiana which was an allegory about Christian's wife who finally was saved and made her journey through life.  As an Allegory of the Christian journey through this world it it no way implies the leaving of a family or even just a wife in the physical sense.  We are to continue in pursuing our goal of living a Godly life in spite of those who may attempt (overtly or not) to hinder us in our journey.

Great books by a great writer.  I wish everyone would read them.

• Members

in verse 25 it says" concerning virgins" so personally I dont believe it is talking about second marriage .
How do you say there is no sin in remarrying when you read mathew 5 and mark 10

Matthew 5 & Mark 10 are under the Law... before the testator died. We are in a New Covenant. The Mosaic Law does not apply to us, we are under Grace.

verse 25 says they have no command concerning virgins. And notice verse 26... It is good for the PRESENT DISTRESS. It was not a rule to be OBserved through all ages, only for that particular time. Edited by Standing Firm In Christ

• Members

You're comparing apples and oranges here. We're discussing the Biblical restrictions on a legitimate activity (marriage between a man and a woman). Using a forbidden activity (sodomy) as an example to discuss the first is a fallacious argument. It's like trying to say "If A=B, then C=D." Doesn't work.  Feel free to disagree, though. :)

Pardon me, but you seem rather fixated on this subject. Why don't you tell us what's prompting this discussion on your end?

I will disagree lol.

as far as being fixated on this subject i guess you could say i  have a one track mind.

i have seen this subject among the church and was wondering what peoples reasons were for not preaching against remarriage.

before I became a member and asked this question i read many of the other topics on here.

• Members

Matthew 5 & Mark 10 are under the Law... before the testator died. We are in a New Covenant. The Mosaic Law does not apply to us, we are under Grace.

verse 25 says they have no command concerning virgins. And notice verse 26... It is good for the PRESENT DISTRESS. It was not a rule to be OBserved through all ages, only for that particular time.

mathew 5 and mark 10 under the law??

you have me very confused there

31 It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement:(mosaic law)

32 But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

should we continue in sin that grace may abound? God forbid

verse 25 says "Now concerning virgins I have no commandment of the Lord; yet i give my judgement, as one who has OBtained mercy of the Lord to be faithful" pauls opinion all the way to verse 40  is the way I always understood it

• Members

Read that passage in the Gospel again carefully. Jesus did not say one could not divorce.

Many like to say fornication is the only just cause for divorce and that that verse proves it. In reality, it does not. Jesus did not say the only just cause was fornication. He simply said any other cause would cause her to commit adultery

• Members

Read that passage in the Gospel again carefully. Jesus did not say one could not divorce.

Many like to say fornication is the only just cause for divorce and that that verse proves it. In reality, it does not. Jesus did not say the only just cause was fornication. He simply said any other cause would cause her to commit adultery

i am not sure i understand what you are saying but i would like to add that i am not really trying to discuss divorce (even though i believe in most cases it is a sin) but rather remarriage (which seems so clear to me but so many disagree i am trying to find out why)

just throwing this out there not saying for sure this is right: but I have heard it taught that when you make a vow before God and to your spouse to be married for life then God sees that for life and He sees you as still married to you (first) wife even though you have a paper that claims diferently.

Do you believe that in Gods eyes you are still married?

Do you believe divorce/remarriage is a sin unto death or that a divorced/remarried can never enjoy fellowship with God?

• Members

just throwing this out there not saying for sure this is right: but I have heard it taught that when you make a vow before God and to your spouse to be married for life then God sees that for life and He sees you as still married to you (first) wife even though you have a paper that claims diferently.

Do you believe that in Gods eyes you are still married?

Isaiah 55:8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. 9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

I don't try to see through God's eyes. He tells me it is impossible. I believe every word of His Bible, even the parts I will never understand, I take them on faith. I can't see everything so I can't judge fairly. 

I feel sorry for remarried people, they always have a burden or maybe its some kind of shame that things failed the 1st time. I'm talking about good moral Christians who have love for their fellow believers and give their time and money to help saved and lost peoples. 

I've seen Jesus bless people who are remarried. Spiritual blessings, answer their prayers, etc. I do not want to get between them and Jesus. It was Jesus who set the home up, its older than the church and the law.  I'm sure Jesus knows how to take care of remarried people, if they need punished or blessed, so I leave it up to Him. 

• Members

Do you believe divorce/remarriage is a sin unto death or that a divorced/remarried can never enjoy fellowship with God?

I believe that every sin you commit that the Holy Spirit convicts you of and you do not repent is a sin unto death.

any one can enjoy fellowship with God but if one does not repent (turn away)  from there sin they will not enjoy Gods fellowship