• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Thou Shalt Not Grow A Beard.......

• Members

I know a pastor who say that Jesus was normally clean shaven but due to the timing of the arrest and trial didn't get a chance to shave --- wow! Now that's some fast growing hair for a 24hr "beard" to be able to be plucked!

I'll give you an example of "even faster" hair growth....

I once heard a preacher say that the Hebrew word "yohm" translated "day" in many places throught the Old Testament "always means day in the Old Testament"

If this were true, we woulld have a story of remarkable hair growth...

2 Samuel 14:26 And when he polled his head, (for it was at every year's end that he polled it: because the hair was heavy on him, therefore he polled it:) he weighed the hair of his head at two hundred shekels after the king's weight.

The word "year" in the above verse is translated from the Hebrew "yohm".

So, if the word means day in all instances in the Old Testament, the above verse would read...

2 Samuel 14:26 And when he polled his head, (for it was at every day's end that he polled it: because the hair was heavy on him, therefore he polled it:) he weighed the hair of his head at two hundred shekels after the king's weight.

200 shekels, according to Liberty University's Open Bible notes, is about six-and-a-half pounds.

Six-and-a-half pounds of hair a day?  How long would that have to be?  RoFL

• Moderators

And that is a perfect example of the lack in Biblical discernment among independent fundamental Baptists (even among the leadership thereof) over which my heart is so grieved.  I thought that the "fundamental" word in the title "Independent Fundamental Baptist" was supposed to mean that we are a BIBLICALLY minded people.

Perhaps is speaks more to the (hopefully) few that are leader-oriented, who demand no questioning, and themselves have asked none of those who taught them. Sadly, in every good group of people you get a few who ruin it for the rest.

We all know there have been IFB preachers who demand NO ONE ever question what they say, that to do so it akin to questioning God Himself! (Like Catholics). Those types, I suspect, are likey the types that, when they heard their teacher or preacher say it, they were 'encouraged' not to question it, either. So it just becomes gospel truth.

This is where the idea of stupid sheep comes from, or evil goats, and many other assumptions that are heard, believed and passed on, no one ever questioning it.

So really it has nothing to do with IFB-these types are in all different denominations-look at Calvin! He accepted NO questioning to what he said, and some paid with their lives. Try questioning Peter Ruckman and you're jack-leg idiot.  Preachers have to remember they are no better than anyone else-we are sheep like all the other sheep, we're just helping guide the rest of the flock.

• Members

Isaiah 53:6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.

Notice in this verse we see Isaiah, the Prophet of God identifying himself as a sheep just like the rest of the children of Israel.  Men like Ruckman don't want to be sheep, they want authority.  Sheep follow a leader.  Preachers like Calvin, Ruckman, et. al., don't want an authoritative figure over them. 

They consider themselves to be the authority, and the congregation to be sheeple who bow to their demands without questioning or complaint.

• Moderators

We all know there have been IFB preachers who demand NO ONE ever question what they say, that to do so it akin to questioning God Himself! (Like Catholics). Those types, I suspect, are likey the types that, when they heard their teacher or preacher say it, they were 'encouraged' not to question it, either. So it just becomes gospel truth.

And/or they're just plain narcissists.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I've tried growing a goatee and mustache...let them grow for months but kept them trimmed. However, the mustache was too sparse on one side...so I shaved them off. I considered keeping the goatee, but I didn't want to be mistaken for an Amish.  :nuts:

Reading this thread is making me want to try again.  :scratchchin:

Well, I gave in to temptation, and the goatee and mustache are coming along better this time. I thought I'd try a different approach...instead of keeping it trimmed, I'm letting it grow. That's helping it look more full.​ It's almost to the point where I have to trim it though...

A goatee???????  That's the prOBlem -- I thought you had a beard!! I guess some people can't grow a real one :knuppel::boxing::biggrin:

​Unfortunately...I'm a middle-man. I can't grow hair in the middle of my head, and I can only grow hair in the middle of my face.  :nuts:

• Members

image.thumb.jpg.48c8c48cc150799178d5e6efWell, I gave in to temptation, and the goatee and mustache are coming along better this time. I thought I'd try a different approach...instead of keeping it trimmed, I'm letting it grow. That's helping it look more full.​ It's almost to the point where I have to trim it though...

​Unfortunately...I'm a middle-man. I can't grow hair in the middle of my head, and I can only grow hair in the middle of my face.  :nuts:

Been growing this bush for 125 days now.

• Members

I started my beard when we moved house in 1976 in the middle of the long hot summer.  That year was so hot and dry some people thought it would never rain again.  I had two weeks off work to get the house straight, lay carpets, etc. and had no time to shave. So my beard began to grow.  I had not intended to have a beard.  At the end of the two weeks I quite like my beard but my wife didn't.   However when now I say "perhaps I will shave my beard off, she says she doesn't want me to.  I wouldn't anyway.  When I used to wet shave, I was always sore and had nicks that bled.  When I used an electric shaver I always had a sore rash.  All a thing of the past.  When I had grown my beard for a few months, I said to my wife, "I must have been mad to have spent all that time shaving when a beard is much more comfortable."

When I started it was mid brown with gingery parts.  Now it is mid grey with light grey parts.

If I leave it to itself it would grow something like this:

https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.608051104837534472&pid=15.1&w=120&h=119&p=0

• Members

I get a notion to shave my beard and mustache off at least once a year, then let it grow back. 

When first I grew a beard, I was 17 years old.  Beard was jet black.  However, when one of the clowns in the circus I worked at the time got sick, (I was an animal trainer) since I knew his routine, I told him I would fill in for him for the night.  It required me to shave my beard so I could put the face paint on.

Must have been something in the face paint that reacted with my pores or something.  The next time I grew a beard, it came out salt and pepper.  By the time I was 29, my beard was all white and mustache was salt and pepper, mostly salt.  Now, both are white.

• Administrators

There's a man in our church who we met out door knocking a good number of years ago. At the time both his hair and beard were quite long and scraggly. He was saved, but sadly had been lied to about salvation.

He was attending a Bible study led by a woman (mistake # one, but he hadn't been grounded in the Bible). She and the others were if a charismatic (I don't mean personality) bent. When he questioned something she said, they informed him he had committed the unpardonable sin and so was headed for Hell with no chance of redemption. So he dove back into the world, miserable and convinced he was going to Hell. Thus the scraggliness when we met.

Hubs took him under his wing (he even lived with us for a while to get away from the bad environment he was in) and discipled him properly.

First thing he did was get a hair cut and he shaved off his beard. His hair has remained short, but he grew his beard again. He keeps it trimmed and nice. He actually looks like Stonewall Jackson. (And he has been faithful ever since...and witnesses to everyone he meets)

• Members

I suppose I'll have to send a picture of the goatee I grew this winter (first time). I've had this mustache since I was in my early 20s. I shaved it off while taking courses at Tabernacle Baptist Bible Institute in Va. Bch., no facial hair allowed.

• Members

I remember the good ol days at Virginia Beach.  Ran around the Dunderdale Court area, preaching to anyone who would listen, back in the 80's.

​I was there in the 80s. Not Dunderdale Court but, I've spent time traveling Princess Anne Rd, Providence Rd, Kempsville area, and of course N. Whitehurst Landing Rd. Did you ever get over to Tabernacle while Rodney Bell was pastoring?

• Members

No, never got the chance.  I did street evangelism and visitations back then.  Home Church of 23 members.

​Yes, I had the privilege to street preach in downtown Norfolk while attending TBBI. Like the clean shave, street preaching was a requirement but, one I'm thankful for.

You were just about in the 'Rock Church' back yard. Did you meet a lot of those folks on visitation?