• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Thou Shalt Not Grow A Beard.......

• Members

I would say the clean shaven stuff began shortly after the end of the War Between the States. Military men had beards then but, I don't think too many did in WW1.

Ever since then, as far as I know, soldiers have been clean-shaven. My mother-in-law is from the WW2 generation and I think it was a big thing then.. I do agree that the Hippies were doing what they did in defiance, rebellion, protest, whatever and I do think that a lot of the "clergy" shunned facial hair in the spirit of "not conforming to the world". But actually, not to minimize the more OBvious outward manifestations of "conforming", most of the "conforming" which goes on is the not so OBvious stuff we are guilty of every day.

The clean shaven army and marine corp came about during WWI due to the advent of chemical warfare and the sealing of protective (gas) masks. Facial hair prevents a proper seal of the mask to keep the chemicals and later in the 20th century biological agents out.

It was not intended as a uniform look initially but now it is with the main purpose being a proper seal.

Of course desk jockey military have no practical reason to be clean shaven but the uniform look has caught on after Vietnam and stuck. Prior to WWI soldiers could grow any beards they wanted, uniformity of facial appearance was not an issue back then.

Far more military personnel are non combat MOS' than combat. It take 4 support personnel for every one real soldier (infantry) on the battlefield to be sustained.

After reading the Scriptures posted by Heartstrings and other on this thread, I have a real mind never to shave or trim again. Who cares what man (male or female) thinks of us.

• Moderators

I've been an IB preacher for 37 yrs (and have preached in meetings with several people, some home with the Lord now - others 60-90 yrs old now, whose names would be well recognized by several folks here) and have a beard, one of my sons is an IB assistant pastor and has a beard, another is a missionary to Russia and has a beard.

But yes, I've heard it before - one of the old men I was referring to (over 80) told my middle son (in a Michigan meeting they both preached in), "I really like you and will be praying for your ministry. You know, of course, that I can't have you in (to present the ministry) because of the beard." 

Edited by OLD fashioned preacher

• Members

I've heard all kinds of things from Baptists on facial hair. Can't have a moustache because that's a sign of pride and vanity. Can't have a beard cause that's for hippies. Can't have sideburns because Elvis had them.

It's interesting how often I've heard facial hair makes a man look worldly yet most worldly people in our nation are clean shaven so why isn't the clean shaven look also considered a worldly look?

One has to really wonder if these people have ever given any real thought to the matter.

I've heave heard it said that facial hair on men just isn't natural!!!

It's such a shame our own Lord and Saviour, the godly men of Scripture and thousands upon thousands of men of God since then wouldn't be welcomed in many pulpits today because they all had beards.

• Members

Not natural???!!!  Facial hair on a man is exactly according to nature.  And as one pastor in our area indicated -- Since God desires that there be some form of distinction between a man and a woman in external appearance, and since God HIMSELF created facial hair on the man as a very OBvious distinction, it might be that we should strongly encourage (rather than so strongly oppose) our men to have facial hair.  (Note: I am not indicating that we should command it, for I am not aware of such a command in God's Word.  Furthermore, as I have previously indicated, I myself remain clean shaven.  However, we certainly should not oppose it as some kind of ungodliness.) (Secondary note: I wonder if Adam had facial hair from the moment of his creation?)

• Moderators

I know a pastor who say that Jesus was normally clean shaven but due to the timing of the arrest and trial didn't get a chance to shave --- wow! Now that's some fast growing hair for a 24hr "beard" to be able to be plucked!

• Members

I know a pastor who say that Jesus was normally clean shaven but due to the timing of the arrest and trial didn't get a chance to shave --- wow! Now that's some fast growing hair for a 24hr "beard" to be able to be plucked!

And that is a perfect example of the lack in Biblical discernment among independent fundamental Baptists (even among the leadership thereof) over which my heart is so grieved.  I thought that the "fundamental" word in the title "Independent Fundamental Baptist" was supposed to mean that we are a BIBLICALLY minded people.

• Administrators

One of my professors in college had a beard (in fact, OFP, your pic reminds me of him a bit).  He was talking about it one day and said that, in his opinion, beards came back into vogue in the 60s as a statement against feminism - as in, making the point that there is something men can do that women can't: grow a beard (I know, I know, there are some women who have hirsutism and thus do have lots of facial hair, but that's the exception rather than the rule).

Did you know that full blood indians don't have facial hair?

wretched, it's interesting - we were just discussing the reason for no facial hair for military with our son. He's being called back up and so has to shave his beard.  Even though so many don't need to use the gas masks, they all have to be ready to do so. Interestingly enough, though, the military is beginning to make exceptions for religious reasons re: muslim and sikh...

• Members

On a lighter vein this painting by Michalangelo on the ceiling of Sistine Chapel should settle the argument about the propriety of a beard . . . . although I think the Sistine Chapel and the church that built it is a work of the Devil.  Sometimes my sense of humor goes a little haywire.  Sorry!

beard-of-god.jpg

• Members

Interesting to think about. While we can't know (why didn't Adam take a selfie?) my inclination would be Adam did have a beard at the moment of creation just as I would think Eve had long hair at creation.

....all the way down to his belly button...  :biggrin:

• Members

And that is a perfect example of the lack in Biblical discernment among independent fundamental Baptists (even among the leadership thereof) over which my heart is so grieved.  I thought that the "fundamental" word in the title "Independent Fundamental Baptist" was supposed to mean that we are a BIBLICALLY minded people.

...and for almost 29 years, since I was saved, I always considered us the only modern-day "Bereans".