• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Love Unites, Doctrine Divides

DaveW

• Members

This is the call of the ecumenical movement and of course leads to compromise.

It occurs in a much more subtle way when a false teacher accuses anyone who disagrees with them of being unloving.

• Moderators

Well, the statement is true, its just that the two aren't exclusive.

Doctrine doesn, indeed, divide: it divides truth from error, it divides wolves from sheep; it divides true churches from false.

True love is first horizontal, then vertical: toward God then toward man. If we love God, we will seek to do His will, to know His truths, to honor Him in all ways. If we love Him, then our love toward man will be in truth, in speaking and teaching right doctrine, which s both pleasing and glorifying to God, thus, absolutely necessary for man, whether he wants it or not.

So, my love for God and man will urge me toward true doctrine. If my love for man means I must disregard God's truth for the sake of unity, it is not true unity, because true unity can only be in one heart, one mind, in one accord wth God, then man.

If in love, I must separate from ALL men to be in unity with the Father, so be it.

"Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me." (John 17:20, 21)

How were Jesus and the Father one? One mind, one heart, one goal, one doctrine, One in all ways.As much as in us is, this is the unity we should seek.

• Members

Our pastor points out many people today don't even know what doctrine or theology is or means. Many will say they don't care about either, they just want to be close to Jesus. Sounds pious, but the fact is, without right doctrine and theology (even if they don't know what those words mean) one can't be close to Jesus.

True enough, we are commanded to love one another. Yet it's also a major truth of Scripture that we are called to OBedience to the commands of Christ. To OBey His commands we must know doctrine and theology. Even the command to love, whether loving God, our neighbors or fellow believers, is a matter of doctrine. Sadly, many who have heard the weak teachings of wimpy preachers don't know this.

• Members
Matthew 10
34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.
36 And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.
37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.
38 And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.
39 He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.

That was Jesus the most loving man to ever live. 

• Moderators

Matthew 10
34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.
36 And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.
37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.
38 And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.
39 He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.

That was Jesus the most loving man to ever live. 

No, no..this must have been part that man added, because Jesus would never say this!  (tongue firmly implanted in cheek).

• Members

As I said on my Facebook page recently, it is far better to be divided by truth than to be united in a lie.

Revelation 21:8 (KJV) 8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

Archived