• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

"archaic" Word Useage

• Members

Jhn 12:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/corn?s=t

6.(archaic or dialect) any hard particle or grain

What we in the U.S. call "corn", today, was only native to the Americas and would not have been known in the Middle East until the late 15th century. The word "corn",  in the King James Bible, referred to wheat, as in John 12:24, and possibly referred to other domesticated cereal grains.

Here in the UK corn is usually wheat.  The is also a word, " barleycorn", but it can I believe mean any similar grain.We call maize "Sweetcorn"  But when I was young I think it was just called Maize.  

I France there are two main types of flour (Farine)  1.Farine de blé  2. Farine de froment.  My dictionary gives these translations: 1. Blé.  Corn, U.S. Wheat.  2:  Froment.  Wheat.   They also give Blé de Espagne as Maize (Spanish corn.)

Just togive different usages of the word "Corn"

Edited by Invicta

• Members

Exodus 4:11 And the LORD said unto him, Who hath made man's mouth? or who maketh the dumb, or deaf, or the seeing, or the blind? have not I the LORD?

The change of this word is so established in our society as meaning "stupid", that it is offensive to call someone "deaf and dumb". But in the King James Bible it simply meant "unable to speak".

PrOBably mainly in the US.  We  had a deacon whose family were deaf and dumb.  They belonged to a deaf and dumb club.  Our friend was the only one in his family who was not deaf and dumb.  He had to be sent to a neighbour to learn how to speak.

Although it is sometimes used as stupid, I would say in a lighthearted way, the former is usually the case.

• Members

Luke 14:21 So that servant came, and shewed his lord these things. Then the master of the house being angry said to his servant, Go out quickly into the streets and lanes of the city, and bring in hither the poor, and the maimed, and the halt, and the blind.

Today, the word "halt" is primarily used to mean "to come to a stop", but in the King James it basically meant "crippled" or "lame"

noun

(archaic) lameness

Word Origin

Old English healt lame; related to Old Norse  haltr, Old High German halz lame, Greek kólos maimed, Old Slavonic kladivo hammer

• Members

Philippians 4:6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.

"Careful" is what I am when I hold a newborn baby, carry a gun, or transport a carton of eggs from the supermarket to the car(when my wife let's me). But in the King James Bible, however, it basically means "anxious"; Of course one could argue that carrying that carton of eggs can cause one to be anxious. :)

• Members

Philippians 4:6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.

"Careful" is what I am when I hold a newborn baby, carry a gun, or transport a carton of eggs from the supermarket to the car(when my wife let's me). But in the King James Bible, however, it basically means "anxious"; Of course one could argue that carrying that carton of eggs can cause one to be anxious. :)

I became anxious carrying eggs as a child when, with a handful of fresh eggs, I began to leave the chicken coop when a wasp stung be on my behind! As I yelled and began to run out of the coop my Mom, outside the coop and not knowing I was stung, started yelling at me to be CAREFUL and not drop the eggs.

No broken eggs but a rather sore bottom from that sting!

• Members

Gen 30:37
¶And JacOB took him rods of green poplar, and of the hazel and chesnut tree; and pilled white strakes in them, and made the white appear which was in the rods.

Gen 30:38
And he set the rods which he had pilled before the flocks in the gutters in the watering troughs when the flocks came to drink, that they should conceive when they came to drink.
Gen 30:39 And the flocks conceived before the rods, and brought forth cattle ringstraked, speckled, and spotted.

Gen 30:40 And JacOB did separate the lambs, and set the faces of the flocks toward the ringstraked, and all the brown in the flock of Laban; and he put his own flocks by themselves, and put them not unto Laban's cattle.

Today, when someone mentions "cattle" we think of huge bovine critters. But in the King James Bible, it was a general term referring to all domesticated hoofed animals including goats and sheep.

• Members

Gen 30:37
¶And JacOB took him rods of green poplar, and of the hazel and chesnut tree; and pilled white strakes in them, and made the white appear which was in the rods.

Gen 30:38
And he set the rods which he had pilled before the flocks in the gutters in the watering troughs when the flocks came to drink, that they should conceive when they came to drink.
Gen 30:39 And the flocks conceived before the rods, and brought forth cattle ringstraked, speckled, and spotted.

Gen 30:40 And JacOB did separate the lambs, and set the faces of the flocks toward the ringstraked, and all the brown in the flock of Laban; and he put his own flocks by themselves, and put them not unto Laban's cattle.

Today, when someone mentions "cattle" we think of huge bovine critters. But in the King James Bible, it was a general term referring to all domesticated hoofed animals including goats and sheep.

Perhaps JacOB had worked out the laws of inheritance.  i.e. Recessive genes breed true. And the  strakes were a ploy to fool Laban.

Edited by Invicta

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Can I say that God may have allowed the crooked dealings because of Laban's? You know, you "reap what you sow"? But I don't think he condoned JacOB's intent in his actions.  If you look back a few verses, JacOB had already deceived his own father and defrauded his own brother so he had really deserved the treatment he got from Laban. Remember, also, that at this time his name (JacOB) still meant basically a  "supplanter" as God had not yet re-named him "Israel".

• Members

The scriptures explain the right way to think in chapter 31. Let it suffice, and increase people's faith in the word to 'define itself'.

Adding our 'opinion' when the next chapter explains it is seeding doubt.

1 And he heard the words of Laban's sons, saying, JacOB hath taken away all that was our father's; and of that which was our father's hath he gotten all this glory.

2 And JacOB beheld the countenance of Laban, and, behold, it was not toward him as before.

3 And the LORD said unto JacOB, Return unto the land of thy fathers, and to thy kindred; and I will be with thee.

4 And JacOB sent and called Rachel and Leah to the field unto his flock,

5 And said unto them, I see your father's countenance, that it is not toward me as before; but the God of my father hath been with me.

6 And ye know that with all my power I have served your father.

7 And your father hath deceived me, and changed my wages ten times; but God suffered him not to hurt me.

8 If he said thus, The speckled shall be thy wages; then all the cattle bare speckled: and if he said thus, The ringstraked shall be thy hire; then bare all the cattle ringstraked.

9 Thus God hath taken away the cattle of your father, and given them to me.

Then JacOB explained a previous dream where the angel of the Lord told him to do this -