• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

"archaic" Word Useage

• Members

For a long time, I have wanted to make a list of Bible words which are used very differently today. When reading the King James Bible, I believe it is imperative that we know these as it greatly increases our understanding, especially in passages which are frequently debated. Understand that these were the original meanings, in the English language, before they were subjected to "Linguistic drift". Perhaps some of you could participate and it will be helpful to all of us. I will do the first one.

1Th 4:15

For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.

Prevent

1375-1425; late Middle English < Latin praeventus (past participle of praevenīre to anticipate), equivalent to prae- pre- + ven- (stem of venīre to come) + -tus past participle suffix

also: C15: from Latin praevenīre, from prae before + venīre to come

In 1 Thessalonians 4: 15 it meant basically to "precede" or "come before" unlike the common use today which means to "hinder" or "stop". Therefore, in 1 Thessalonians, the Bible is saying that those still alive will not precede the dead in Christ, which is clarified in the next two verses.....

1 Th 4:16

For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

1Th 4:17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord

Next?

• Members

Here's another most of you prOBably already know...

Ephesians 4:22

That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;

Today, when we have a conversation, we are talking to one another. But in the King James Bible, it basically means "manner of life"

Conversation

1300-50; Middle English conversacio(u)n < Latin conversātiōn- (stem of conversātiō) society, intercourse, equivalent to conversāt(us) past participle of conversārī to associate with (see converse1) + -iōn-

n.

mid-14c., "living together, having dealings with others," also "manner of conducting oneself in the world;" from Old French conversation, from Latin conversationem (nominative conversatio) "act of living with," noun of action from past participle stem of conversari "to live with, keep company with," literally "turn about with," from Latin com- "with" (see com-) + vertare, frequentative of vertere (see versus).

• Members

If you study the work of the translators of the KJV, you will find that some of the words they chose to use were already outdated and in some cases "archaic" when they used them.
The reasoning was that those particular words were fixed in meaning as they were not commonly used.

• Members

Jhn 12:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/corn?s=t

6.(archaic or dialect) any hard particle or grain

What we in the U.S. call "corn", today, was only native to the Americas and would not have been known in the Middle East until the late 15th century. The word "corn",  in the King James Bible, referred to wheat, as in John 12:24, and possibly referred to other domesticated cereal grains.

• Members

Exodus 4:11 And the LORD said unto him, Who hath made man's mouth? or who maketh the dumb, or deaf, or the seeing, or the blind? have not I the LORD?

The change of this word is so established in our society as meaning "stupid", that it is offensive to call someone "deaf and dumb". But in the King James Bible it simply meant "unable to speak".

• Members

Also unlike the way it's used today, the word "YOU" is always a plural pronoun in the King James Bible so, as a Southerner, I'm pleased to inform y'all that "y'all", being a contraction of "you all", is proper English.

Rom 15:33 Now the God of peace be with y'all. Amen. :)

• Moderators

Also unlike the way it's used today, the word "YOU" is always a plural pronoun in the King James Bible so, as a Southerner, I'm pleased to inform y'all that "y'all", being a contraction of "you all", is proper English.

Sorry, it isn't a contraction of you all but of ye all. Have a New Englanderer or a Brit say "ye all" in the midst of a sentence and see what it sounds like. As to the y'all or ya'll question of spelling, I've gone to writing it as yawl.

• Members

If you all was good enough for Paul

it should be good enough for y'all

Sorry, couldn't hep m'self.