• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members
What We Believe
Our Statement of Faith

We believe in only One True God, who has revealed Himself in Three Divine Persons (the Father, Son and Holy Spirit); and that the Bible, consisting of the sixty-six books of the Old and New Testaments, is His only Divinely inspired, inerrant, sufficient and absolutely authoritative revelation to mankind. We believe the purpose of the Bible was to unveil mankind’s utter sinfulness and announce God’s complete provision of forgiveness of those who accept it only through the finished work of His only begotten Divine and sinless Son Jesus Christ. We believe Jesus was virgin born, died for our sins, and was raised from the dead as the firstfruit of the rest of the dead who were raised out of Hades at His second coming. We believe Scripture teaches Christ would come again in that first century generation while some of His original disciples were still alive, to raise the dead, change the living, and catch up both groups together into the heavenly presence of Christ. We believe in one universal and eternal body of believers (both visible and invisible), which is the Church and the Eternal Kingdom of God and Christ. We also believe in the continuing practice of water baptism (sign of the covenant) and the Lord’s Supper (celebration of redemption). And we have the same Hope of the saints of all ages, which is to live forever in heaven in our new immortal bodies in the presence of our Glorious Redeemer Jesus Christ.

They believe the rapture took place before 70 AD. We missed it. 

• Members

Nothing new, those "profane babblings" were around in the first century too.

2Ti 2:16 But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.

2Ti 2:17 And their word will eat as doth a canker: of whom is Hymenaeus and Philetus;

2Ti 2:18 Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already; and overthrow the faith of some.

• Members

Partial preterists, of whom most that are railed on for being 'preterist' on OB, do not believe that Jesus Christ returned for his children back then.

I don't understand why people still call us preterists.

It is sad that people can't look past their own noses when we make statements about partially believing some facets of preterism.

This is where 'christian license' taught in the scriptures applies, not with subjects like 'celebrating' the birth of Christ like the 'heathen' used to.

Just my opinion, of which I am allowed, as others opinion of partial preterists, being equal to preterist teaching.

• Members

We all like things in neat little boxes. It takes much more effort to deal with things outside those boxes. Just as it's easier in America to consider all rapture views from a pre-trib position (thus neglecting the mid and post trib as well as the pre-wrath views) it's easier to consider anything to do with preterism from a preterist view rather than digging into the partial view.

This occurs in all of life. Point out how uneducated most Americans are and some folks will think you are anti-American. Talk about perseverance of the saints and some will automatically declare they must be a Calvinist. Say you don't want to work a jOB on Sundays and some will say you are lazy.

Don't take offense, simply take the time to work through it.

• Members

Partial preterists, of whom most that are railed on for being 'preterist' on OB, do not believe that Jesus Christ returned for his children back then.

I don't understand why people still call us preterists.

It is sad that people can't look past their own noses when we make statements about partially believing some facets of preterism.

This is where 'christian license' taught in the scriptures applies, not with subjects like 'celebrating' the birth of Christ like the 'heathen' used to.

Just my opinion, of which I am allowed, as others opinion of partial preterists, being equal to preterist teaching.

GP. Can you tell me the difference between a Preterist and a partial Preterist is?  

• Members

GP. Can you tell me the difference between a Preterist and a partial Preterist is?  

I don't think there is an official definition for me, but

it entails the freedom to not have to stick to someone else's 

Traditional 'interpretation', [that have no foundation really, except

the majority of 'christianity' teaches them].

Matthew 24 is a great example, that is why there is so much 'discussion'

on how wrong some of us are in our 'beliefs'. People are afraid to follow

the scripture to the degree of 'division' amongst the brethren. I believe, for

example, that the disciples asked 'clearly', in my opinion, 3 questions, of

which the Lord went into details of each answer. But there prevails here

the tradition that the whole situation of the 'answer' only answers one subject.

Either it is talking about the 70 AD destruction and judgement of God, or it

is talking about the 'end days'. I believe it talks about both! 

I however have learned years ago to follow how the Lord leads, and it has

caused division, and that division has helped me to grow, and not be strung

along some traditional 'muddy path', that is as clear as that 'muddy path', in

its teachings.

Partial preterism is not the belief of Preterism at all. It takes from Preterism

the information and view that is correct. And leaves out the parts that are

not correct. Hence 'partial' preterism.

I could call it 'biblicism', but everyone thinks that is what they teach.

* edited to add this -

I do not follow any teaching of man about partial preterism. I came up with my own beliefs without the knowledge of the 'Partial Preterism'

taught and spoken about on the internet, and I do not prescribe to what they call 'Partial Preterism'. What I believe is what I call partial preterism.

• Members

I have heard and read that some believe that the Antichrist was Nero.  Or that he died in the AD 66-790 uprising. On the other hand, Philip Mauro whose books are on the Preterist website, believed that Antichrist is future.

• Members

I have heard and read that some believe that the Antichrist was Nero.  Or that he died in the AD 66-70 uprising. On the other hand, Philip Mauro whose books are on the Preterist website, believed that Antichrist is future.

• Members

I submit that Preterism is as precise a term as Baptist or Dispensationalist.

What individuals who are so labelled actually believe is not defined by the internet.

Prophecy centres on Jesus and his fulfilment of the old covenant, with all its promises, subsuming it into the new covenant.

Jesus will come again, in glory, for general resurrection and judgment, and to establish the NH&NE.

The 40 years grace allowed very large numbers of Jews, including priests and Pharisees to be saved, so that Israel comprises believing Jews and Gentiles as one people of God, aka the Church of Jesus Christ.

• Members

So you think that there is no prophecy fulfilled between AD 70 and the Lord's return?

God's grace is being fulfilled, and that was prophesied.

And will continue til the Lord returns to gather his elect.

And I don't mean some lost Jewish people either.

God's elect are God's chosen people, a.k.a. Christians.

The Lord knew from the beginning who would really be

his. That was the mystery hid since the beginning of the world,

that anyone who would believe in him with all their heart, which means

deeply, would really follow him into eternity because in reality

he really was their God. And they know him.

• Moderators

So to understand this, all the events of Revelaton took place already, back in roughly 70AD, and we are now in the non-milennial milennial reign of Christ. So, really, we will just go along and one day, BOOM, we all go, judgment, destruction of earth, and that's it? The wrath spoken of in Revelation already occurred, the tribulation is over and done, nothing left except, at some point, the end.

• Members

:umno:

In the book of Revelation, open mindedness, like in Matthew 24 etc., some things occurred in 70 AD,

and the rest happened through the following centuries. Some have to still occur.

It just takes some time to separate the different things. Sorry, I was focusing on Matt. 24 earlier.

And I was thinking of just one thing that was still to happen. God's grace.

• Members

Extreme preterists believe that “the second coming MUST HAVE already occurred, since it was one of the things predicted in the O.T. which had to be fulfilled by the time Jerusalem was destroyed” . . . This means there will never be a future second coming, for it already occurred in A. D. 70. Further, there will be no bodily resurrection of believers, which is said to have occurred in A.D. 70 in conjunction with the second coming. Full preterists believe that we now have been spiritually resurrected and will live forever with spiritual bodies when we die. . . . Full preterists say . . . we are now living in what we would call the eternal state or the new heavens and new earth of Revelation. Champions of this view include the originator of full preterism, . . . J. Stuart Russell . . . Max R. King and his son, Tim . . . David Chilton . . . Ed Stevens, Don K. Preston, John Noe, and John L. Bray.

Since full (extreme, consistent) preterism is heretical and less frequently encountered, we will focus primarily upon mild (moderate, partial) preterism which seems to be increasingly popular in our day.

In its approach to the book of Revelation, partial preterism divides into two primary views concerning what events are foretold by the book: “Preterists hold that the major prophecies of the book were fulfilled either in the fall of Jerusalem (AD 70) or the fall of Rome (AD 476).” “The second form of preterist interpretation holds that Revelation is a prophecy of the fall of the Roman Empire, ‘Babylon the Great,’ the persecutor of the saints, in the fifth century A.D. The purpose of the book is to encourage Christians to endure because their persecutors assuredly will be judged.”

Even partial preterism sees all of Revelation fulfilled expect the last 3ish chapters. 

Preterism both views lead to lots of Jewish persecution. Horrible accounts from history are given. In one account Jews was forced to convert to Christianity. (Like the Muslims are forcing people to convert to Islam) After conversion they feared the Jews wasn't sincere so greater persecution was leveled against them. 

Preterism is a who's who list among the Catholics and Reformers. 

Archived