• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Dreams, Visions, and Deja vu's

• Members

I used to get these all the time. Not as much anymore. Some don't come true for like 10 years, and then all of a sudden, bang there it is. Example - I must of been 18 - 19 years old. I had a dream. I could'nt where I was, but the decor was nicely done up. However there was something wrong I was'nt supposed to be there. I did'nt know why I was'nt supposed to be there. Just that I was'nt supposed to be. I told a guy I knew he was baptist as far as I knew, but he was'nt sure what to make of it either. Well, Fast forward to 2006 this turned out to be an company job interview (One where the name of the company or product is'nt mentionioned in the newspaper until they call you.) of a well known beer distributor. Exactly the way I envisioned it years before. I know one must be gifted to understand stuff like this so I'm hoping one might be able to shed some light on the subject.

NOTICE - I hope I'm not overstepping my bounds, but this is of serious importance to me, if one cannot be serious about this, then I would ask you to repectfully remove yourself from this tread without comment. Thanks .....

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

There are two explanations for dreams that come true and "deja vu's".

One is strictly scientific...the brain takes pieces of all sorts of things you've experienced, whether consciously or subconsciously....and once in awhile in a situation you feel you've "been there" before, because all the seperate parts are reminicient of things you've experienced in the past, and the brain recognizes it as familiar, even if you've never been in that exact spot before.

The other is supernatural, and is the result of demonic activity...and usually the allowances of New Age beliefs, Ouiji boards, or rap/rock music or other demonic activies in your life. I have an uncle who is New Age who has dreams and visions quite often and it is not a joke, and nothing to trifle with.

If you notice, your dream and your reality are both somewhat vague...so it could either be a coincidence, per my first option...or it could be a vague attempt by a demon to "prophecy". Demons cannot tell the future, but they can sometimes "prophecy" and then make their own "prophecies" come true (if God allows) or they can give you a "vague prophecy" that sooner or later will come true only because its so vague. For instance if you have a dream that you move into a home with tan walls, there is an extremely high liklihood that someday in your life, you will go somewhere that has tan walls.

My dad played a Ouiji board with a friend...the Ouiji board told them all how they would die. God was gracious to my dad...but his friend did indeed die ten years later just how the board said...in a fishing accident in Alaska. The devil is nothing to mess with.

So...I hope if you have alot of dreams and visions, that they are the "scientific coincidence" rather than supernatural...because of they are supernatural, then you have demonic influence in your life that needs to be removed.

Kitagrl is right, demonic influences are nothing to mess with. I don't have personal experience with that stuff, but I'm just careful about getting too curious about those things.

I think sometimes when dreams come true, it's because we subconsciously have an idea of something that might happen in the future, and sometimes it does happen that way. Like before I even had a real interest in my husband, when we were just online friends that had never talked on the phone or anything... I had this weird dream that we would someday talk on the phone and I would really like his voice, and then also part of that dream was that we'd be at church together someday. Well, all of that dream came true, but I think it's because a part of me was hoping that he would be the kind of guy I would want to be with someday... so it came out like that in a dream. It had nothing to do with supernatural influences or anything spooky like that. :lol

Basically, you can just forget about those kinds of dreams... unless there is some kind of demonic influence that you need to get rid of in your life. If there is, then get rid of them, like Kitagrl said.

• Members

Whoa....back up....Dreams and visions are a Biblical concept. Why are you guys so quick to say that all dreams and visions are of Satan when dreams and visions originated with God's people? Sure, Satan has twisted it and abused it like he has everything else but the Bible is clear that prophecies and dreams can be given to His people.

Acts 2:17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:

1 Corinthians 12:7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.
8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom

• Members

First off, dreams and visions were given by God to His people in before the Holy Spirit was given, OR just after, when they were still trying to figure out this new type of "Christianity" vs. Judaism.

Secondly, dreams and visions were ONLY given by God to get across some very important message or a prophecy. We have God's message in the Bible, and all His prophecies. We no longer need dreams or visions. God does not work that way. We no longer have to "see through a glass darkly" because we have the entire Scripture.

Thirdly, if God DID give a vision today, it wouldn't be to foretell that you were going to get an interview at a beer company...nor any other petty or day-to-day life event. Satan is an Angel of Light and will often try to deceive people into thinking he is God and giving visions. It works ALL the time. Don't let him deceive you, too.

• Members
First off, dreams and visions were given by God to His people in before the Holy Spirit was given, OR just after, when they were still trying to figure out this new type of "Christianity" vs. Judaism.

God gave them dreams and visions so they could "figure out" what Christianity was vs. Judaism? I don't see that in Scripture. I see God revealing things to godly men in visions several times in the book of Acts and it was simply a way that God was leading.

Secondly, dreams and visions were ONLY given by God to get across some very important message or a prophecy. We have God's message in the Bible, and all His prophecies. We no longer need dreams or visions. God does not work that way. We no longer have to "see through a glass darkly" because we have the entire Scripture.

Well, we don't know what kind of messages God may choose to give in a dream or vision. But that's not really relevant. You can say that we don't need dreams and visions but I don't see that in Scripture. I don't see anywhere where God says "ok, no more visions for you, you don't need them anymore." You're gonna have to back up the statement in bold with Scripture because that's in direct opposition to what God says about visions and dreams in the NT and the examples He gave in Acts.

Thirdly, if God DID give a vision today, it wouldn't be to foretell that you were going to get an interview at a beer company...nor any other petty or day-to-day life event. Satan is an Angel of Light and will often try to deceive people into thinking he is God and giving visions. It works ALL the time. Don't let him deceive you, too.

Well, I don't know the situation behind this particular case but you guys were very quick to assign it to Satan outright, just because it was a dream. Just as Satan can deceive people into thinking they have dreams from God, it is far more expedient for him to convince us that all dreams are from him and limit our faith.

If God doesn't use them anymore, please explain these verses:
Acts 2:17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:

1 Corinthians 12:7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.
8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom

• Members

For all of our technological/scientific/medical advances, there is still SOOO much we simply do not know about the way the human brain works. There are plenty of theories out there about dreams, but dreams are so subjective that there is no one scientific, reliable explanation for them. I too have had moments of "deja vu," but I don't think this sort of thing requires any "giftedness." It could be that our minds are just tricking us into thinking we've been here, done or thought this at some time in the past, when we really haven't--or else, we really have, and here we are again--big deal. If I were you, unless every single one of your dreams (or "visions") is coming to pass, then I would just chalk this up as a mystery that I don't understand and that I'm not going to be obsessed about. TV is rife with shows that are obsessed with the "paranormal." I have too much to worry about in real life to sit around and give this kind of thing too much thought.

These comments are coming from a person who dreamed about being in a car accident the night before I really was in one. In my dream, my aunt died, but in actuality it was my granny who died. Did I really dream that, or was that "dream" going on "post-car accident" in my unconscious brain? (I was out for a while.) I remember that at the time, I thought, "That was weird," but then I had to concentrate on recovery and dealing with my granny's death. So, I put the stuff I couldn't know about aside in favor of pursuing real life.

As you can probably tell, I don't chalk this kind of thing up to supernatural activity. I don't see a reason to. Your example of the beer distribution situation is unconvincing...Science has shown that our brains are adept at "filling in the blanks" to try to make sense of disjointed occurrences or random pictures (like ink blots, etc.). As I said, there's so much doctors don't know about the brain.

Just my two cents.

• Members
For all of our technological/scientific/medical advances, there is still SOOO much we simply do not know about the way the human brain works. There are plenty of theories out there about dreams, but dreams are so subjective that there is no one scientific, reliable explanation for them. I too have had moments of "deja vu," but I don't think this sort of thing requires any "giftedness." It could be that our minds are just tricking us into thinking we've been here, done or thought this at some time in the past, when we really haven't--or else, we really have, and here we are again--big deal. If I were you, unless every single one of your dreams (or "visions") is coming to pass, then I would just chalk this up as a mystery that I don't understand and that I'm not going to be obsessed about. TV is rife with shows that are obsessed with the "paranormal." I have too much to worry about in real life to sit around and give this kind of thing too much thought.

These comments are coming from a person who dreamed about being in a car accident the night before I really was in one. In my dream, my aunt died, but in actuality it was my granny who died. Did I really dream that, or was that "dream" going on "post-car accident" in my unconscious brain? (I was out for a while.) I remember that at the time, I thought, "That was weird," but then I had to concentrate on recovery and dealing with my granny's death. So, I put the stuff I couldn't know about aside in favor of pursuing real life.

As you can probably tell, I don't chalk this kind of thing up to supernatural activity. I don't see a reason to. Your example of the beer distribution situation is unconvincing...Science has shown that our brains are adept at "filling in the blanks" to try to make sense of disjointed occurrences or random pictures (like ink blots, etc.). As I said, there's so much doctors don't know about the brain.

Just my two cents.

Good posting. Some people do have real and demonic visions or experiences, but hopefully that would not be the norm, and certainly not in the life of a Christian.

• Members

Cop-out.

I believe in the Bible as it is written. I don't need a theological school to tell me how I should interpret the Bible. That was just a very easy way to side-step everything that I posted, including the Scripture.

I'm still expecting a response to what I posted but here's something else to consider. You will pray for God to work miracles on behalf of sick loved ones. You will pray for God to protect you as you travel. You will pray that God will work a miracle in someone's life to heal them of severe injuries or save them from bad situations. Yet, you won't let God do any kind of miracle outside of what you expect Him to do. You are only willing to believe what makes sense to you, what you are comfortable with. You would deny the omnipotence(can any of us really fathom that concept?) of God by limiting Him to the confines of your own expectations. God calls for faith that can move mountains. Well, now we know why there aren't any "mountains" being moved in our country today. :badday:

• Members
believe in the Bible as it is written. I don't need a theological school to tell me how I should interpret the Bible. That was just a very easy way to side-step everything that I posted, including the Scripture.

Frankly, as I'm about ready for bed, I didn't have time to type out an entire lesson on dispensations, and I am pretty sure you know about all that anyway. It was NOT a cop out. I actually read a couple commentaries on the passages you posted and looked at the contexts...and rather than type out a whole long thing, I simply mentioned your dispensations are wrong. If you insist, I'd be glad to type up the entire discourse tomorrow, if you really are interested...if you already know you disagree, why bother.

I just know that Satan is really good at playing "God" and he has alot of people hooked. Sure, we can see people in other countries who possibly have visions from God. I'm sure you are partially referring to Esther Ahn Kim. She however did not have a Bible and was in a very dire predicament. We here in America have Bibles, pastors, and freedom. There is absolutely no reason for "further revelation". Our spirit speaks to us inside, leading us in how we should go. We have the Bible and our pastors. We have no need for these extra supernatural things. If God worked that way on a regular basis, we would not need the Bible.

• Members

I would still like to hear your rebuttal, though. I'm not very interested in what commentaries have to say but I don't mind you using them if it's directly derived from clear Scripture and doesn't take me an hour to read. :wink

Esther Ahn Kim is one but I was thinking about a Chinese pastor, actually. He had a Bible but went through some incredible persecution under the Communist leadership. He's still alive today, actually. Serves in a ministry that is now based in America. We also had a missionary at our old church in NC who had witnessed many miracles in Africa where God gave him the ability to walk on glass and fire(among other things) to show the power of his God vs. the power of the witchdoctors who had challenged him. He had some fascinating stories to tell.

• Members

I know a missionary like that too...so I'm not discounting miracles and such entirely...but just reading on when, where, and why these things happened....mostly today we have no need of that. We have the Scripture and the Holy Spirit and that is usually enough.

Also, I hope you realize, that the original post in this thread would lean more towards one of my two explanations rather than yours. Seeing as how nobody here is being persecuted in jail, or dealing with demon possessed natives. KWIM? Lets be careful not to confuse people with exceptions to what usually happens. The rule would be, if the question can be answered by prayer and Bible reading and the Spirit's leading, there is no further need for visible miracles or dreams or visions.

• Members

Oh I'm not saying that his dream was legit. I just think it wasn't right for everyone to immediately assume demonic influence as if it's totally outside the realm of possibility for God to speak to people in dreams. God would never give a dream that contradicts what He has already made clear in His Word but He can certainly use it for leading a person. That was what God usually used dreams and visions for, especially in the NT, to lead people in what He wants them to do.

• Members
There are two explanations for dreams that come true and "deja vu's".

One is strictly scientific...the brain takes pieces of all sorts of things you've experienced, whether consciously or subconsciously....and once in awhile in a situation you feel you've "been there" before, because all the seperate parts are reminicient of things you've experienced in the past, and the brain recognizes it as familiar, even if you've never been in that exact spot before.

The other is supernatural, and is the result of demonic activity...and usually the allowances of New Age beliefs, Ouiji boards, or rap/rock music or other demonic activies in your life. I have an uncle who is New Age who has dreams and visions quite often and it is not a joke, and nothing to trifle with.

If you notice, your dream and your reality are both somewhat vague...so it could either be a coincidence, per my first option...or it could be a vague attempt by a demon to "prophecy". Demons cannot tell the future, but they can sometimes "prophecy" and then make their own "prophecies" come true (if God allows) or they can give you a "vague prophecy" that sooner or later will come true only because its so vague. For instance if you have a dream that you move into a home with tan walls, there is an extremely high liklihood that someday in your life, you will go somewhere that has tan walls.

My dad played a Ouiji board with a friend...the Ouiji board told them all how they would die. God was gracious to my dad...but his friend did indeed die ten years later just how the board said...in a fishing accident in Alaska. The devil is nothing to mess with.

So...I hope if you have alot of dreams and visions, that they are the "scientific coincidence" rather than supernatural...because of they are supernatural, then you have demonic influence in your life that needs to be removed.

The devil is nothing to mess with believe me, my connection comes through my mother, now the mystery of it all is how did she get into all of this or is there something more sinister in my family. She was adopted at 6 months, and the family has ties to Masons on her Dads side. This is based on a family news article from 1895. Through the years I've noticed certain things that kind of don't sit right. My mother got into 60's biker gangs, busting up marriages, witchcraft, ouiji boards, (Thank God I've never touched one) and who knows what else, my sisters and I all have had experiences, and seen/heard things that go bump in the night. For me It started at 2yrs old.