• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Pope Says "dogs Go To Heaven"

Invicta

• Members

On a news report today, the Pope told a bereaved young person, that their dog would be in heaven. Thinking about it I saw it in the press review.  The reviews said "That goes against Catholic teaching. But as he is Pope and infallible it will prOBably now be Catholic policy" 

But the bible says "Re 22:15  For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie."

My dad said he thought that meant human dogs. However dogs and cats as well as horses are unclean animals and I don't thing any unclean thing will be in heaven.

• Members

I don't discuss such things when Rosie (my best friend and dog) is around. :unsure:  

I sometimes this that about Molly, my cat.  When we do our bible reading she usually comes and sits on my lap.

• Members

Acts 10:10 And he became very hungry, and would have eaten: but while they made ready, he fell into a trance, 11 And saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending unto him, as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth: 12 Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air. 13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat. 14 But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean. 15 And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common. 16 This was done thrice: and the vessel was received up again into heaven.

Revelation 4:6 And before the throne there was a sea of glass like unto crystal: and in the midst of the throne, and round about the throne, were four beasts full of eyes before and behind. 7 And the first beast was like a lion, and the second beast like a calf, and the third beast had a face as a man, and the fourth beast was like a flying eagle. 8 And the four beasts had each of them six wings about him; and they were full of eyes within: and they rest not day and night, saying, Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, which was, and is, and is to come. 9 And when those beasts give glory and honour and thanks to him that sat on the throne, who liveth for ever and ever, 10 The four and twenty elders fall down before him that sat on the throne, and worship him that liveth for ever and ever, and cast their crowns before the throne, saying, 11 Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.

Ecclesiastes 3:21 Who knoweth the spirit of man that goeth upward, and the spirit of the beast that goeth downward to the earth?

(Maybe there are Heaven animals that never lived on earth?)

• Members

On a news report today, the Pope told a bereaved young person, that their dog would be in heaven. Thinking about it I saw it in the press review.  The reviews said "That goes against Catholic teaching. But as he is Pope and infallible it will prOBably now be Catholic policy" 

But the bible says "Re 22:15  For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie."

My dad said he thought that meant human dogs. However dogs and cats as well as horses are unclean animals and I don't thing any unclean thing will be in heaven.

Cats are beautifully clean animals - and they are not listed as unclean. 

I don't believe our dead pets or dead animals of any kind will be in heaven. I know there will be/are horses in heaven because the Lord will ride on one. P.S. "dogs" in Rev. 22:15 are referring to men.

• Members

Heaven is not our final destination - it's the NH&NE, & the glorious prophecies of the animals living in harmony there. Isa. 65:25

Agreed, but it should be noted there is no indication those animals are revived, restored or "glorified" animals which had died on the old earth.

• Members

"Re 22:15  For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie."

I will not advocate that there will or will not be dogs in heaven, because I do not know.  "Context is everything", someone once said.  Now not being a theologian or even very smart, I do not think this statement about dreadful people and terrible sinners has anything to do with the animal kingdom.  Sorcerers, whoremongers, murderers, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie, are definately not animals and neither is the term dogs as used in the sentence.  There are animals referred to throughout prophecy that are not really references to animals but people or nations.  I believe this reference for dogs refers to people with the bad habits or tendencies of dogs.  Although taking a word in the bible as a metaphor can sometimes be a bad thing, this time I think it was used very well.     :hide:

• Members
frequently mentioned both in the Old and New Testaments. Dogs were used by the Hebrews as a watch for their houses (Isa. 56:10), and for guarding their flocks (JOB 30:1). There were also then as now troops of semi-wild dogs that wandered about devouring dead bodies and the offal of the streets (1 Kings 14:11; 16:4; 21:19, 23; 22:38; Ps. 59:6, 14). As the dog was an unclean animal, the terms "dog," "dog's head," "dead dog," were used as terms of reproach or of humiliation (1 Sam. 24:14; 2 Sam. 3:8; 9:8; 16:9). Paul calls false apostles "dogs" (Phil. 3:2). Those who are shut out of the kingdom of heaven are also so designated (Rev. 22:15). Persecutors are called "dogs" (Ps. 22:16). Hazael's words, "Thy servant which is but a dog" (2 Kings 8:13), are spoken in mock humility=impossible that one so contemptible as he should attain to such power

.http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/dog

All animals which don't "chew the cud" and "divide the hoof" are unclean, yet swine and dogs seem to top the list in the word of God. In Luke 16, speaking of Lazarus, the Lord said, "moreover the dogs came and licked his sores" with the word "moreover" indicating that this made his predicament exceptionally worse. . The dogs also came and licked the blood of Ahab and ate Jezebel, showing these events to be extremely shameful and detestable  In Philippians 3 the Bible says "beware of dogs" but I believe this is speaking of evil men. .Considering that Ecclesiastes speaks of beasts ending up in the ground and the exceptionally vile nature attributed to both figurative and literal,dogs,  I doubt very seriously that they will be in Heaven and the Pope won't be either if he doesn't get born again.

• Moderators

Cats are beautifully clean animals - and they are not listed as unclean. 

It has nothing to do with grooming nor ownership. It is dietary. The Bible lists all animals as one of four categories (man is NOT stated as an animal, but a distinct category of created being) as follows -- Fowl of the air, Fish of the sea (that includes aquatic mammalian species), Creeping things that creep upon the face of the Earth and Beasts of the field (of which cats would belong).

For beasts of the field -- if it doesn't BOTH chew the cud AND divide the hoof it is listed as UNCLEAN. Therefore, Biblical, the cat is an unclean animal (one which my eldest son likes the taste of -- he had bOBcat in Honduras).

• Members

Acts 10:10 And he became very hungry, and would have eaten: but while they made ready, he fell into a trance, 11 And saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending unto him, as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth: 12 Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air. 13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat. 14 But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean. 15 And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common. 16 This was done thrice: and the vessel was received up again into heaven.

But this was given to Peter in a trance,not to teach him that he could eat unclean animals, but to teach him that gentiles could be clean through the blood of Christ.  It was OBviously symbolic.

Revelation 4:6 And before the throne there was a sea of glass like unto crystal: and in the midst of the throne, and round about the throne, were four beasts full of eyes before and behind. 7 And the first beast was like a lion, and the second beast like a calf, and the third beast had a face as a man, and the fourth beast was like a flying eagle. 8 And the four beasts had each of them six wings about him; and they were full of eyes within: and they rest not day and night, saying, Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, which was, and is, and is to come. 9 And when those beasts give glory and honour and thanks to him that sat on the throne, who liveth for ever and ever, 10 The four and twenty elders fall down before him that sat on the throne, and worship him that liveth for ever and ever, and cast their crowns before the throne, saying, 11 Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.

The living creatures only had the appearance of those animals.

Ecclesiastes 3:21 Who knoweth the spirit of man that goeth upward, and the spirit of the beast that goeth downward to the earth?

Not sure what that has to do with it.

(Maybe there are Heaven animals that never lived on earth?)

Archived