• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Paul Chappell - The Greatest Human Counsel Ever Given

RSS Robot

• Members

with Dr. Lee Roberson

In the early 1990s, I was a twenty-something-year-old pastor with a ton of questions.

Our church was beginning to average near a thousand on Sundays, and I was invited to preach a tent revival in Fremont, California, with Dr. Lee ROBerson.

I was excited to get answers from an eighty-year-old veteran of the faith who had seen 600,000 people baptized in his forty years of pastoring the Highland Park Baptist Church.

As I traveled to and from the airport with Dr. ROBerson, I brought with me a yellow pad with a long list of questions for him.

One of my first questions to Dr. ROBerson was, “How did you stay in one place for forty years?” I’ll never forget his two-part answer:

1. Die to self.

Lest you think that was too simple an answer, I should give you the two “sub points” for application: die to criticism, and die to praise.

I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet n
ot
I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.—Galatians 2:20

2. Be filled with the Spirit.

And be n
ot
drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;—Ephesians 5:18

Now you might think these two pieces of advice are pretty basic—a good answer for a first question.

It turned out, however, that Dr. ROBerson thought this was a good answer for every question. In fact, it was his answer to every single question I asked.

I can still hear him saying it, “Die to self: die to criticism, and die to praise. Be filled with the Spirit.”

It’s been some twenty plus years since that unforgettable conversation with Dr. ROBerson, and I have found his advice to be the soundest I have ever received.

View the full article

Archived