• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Christmas Or Xmas? What's Your View?

Dr. Roberson

• Members

Its that time of year again! Where we go to the store and wonder if they are allowed to say Merry Christmas or happy holidays or nothing at all.

Every year there's a big push to "Keep Christ in Christmas" and a back lash against people using Xmas rather than the full Christmas.

So what's your view on this? Are you ok with Xmas?

Personally, I'm not. I'd rather use the full spelling of Christmas. I feel its more respectful and honorable.

Do you know the meaning behind Xmas? Look it up, it might surprise you.

Dr. ROBerson

• Members

Sorry for being a Scrooge, I don't like either.  If we are going to commerate the first coming of our Lord we need to choose a better date than has been chosen.  If we must commerate His first coming we should align it better with the actual date and not align it as close as we can to the celebration of the winter solstice.  I don't care what the traditions of the pagan Roman church are or any other pagans for that matter.  A holy God certainly deserves better from those who supposedly worship Him.   :verymad:  :hide:

• Members

I'm uncomfortable with "xmas" but I know some people use it as an abbreviation, and others use it to get rid of "Christ".   I use "Christmas" but it's not like I would go around condemning those who use the other spelling.  It's not worth a fight.

• Members

There is a Bible verse saying that he that regardeth a day regardeth it unto the Lord.   If a person is regarding "Christmas" unto the Lord, then there is no condemnation in that.

Thus one cannot necessarily say a believer should "not say Christmas".   The Bible specificially gives us liberty to celebrate holidays as long as we are honoring the Lord with it.

• Members

Can we keep this one a Christmas vs Xmas thread, instead of a Christmas vs no Christmas thread? Please? :wink

I wasn't really meaning that...but I was referring to Uke's post that we should use neither term for Christmas.   So I was applying the verse about holidays to that post...basically saying if you can honor God and say "Christmas" then God gives us the liberty to do so.

Wasn't trying to broaden the scope of the discussion.  :-)

• Moderators

I wasn't really meaning that...but I was referring to Uke's post that we should use neither term for Christmas.   So I was applying the verse about holidays to that post...basically saying if you can honor God and say "Christmas" then God gives us the liberty to do so.

Wasn't trying to broaden the scope of the discussion.  :-)

Oh - sorry, Kita. I wasn't actually referring to you with that post. Guess I should have quoted the people I was referring to. Sorry!

• Members

Oh - sorry, Kita. I wasn't actually referring to you with that post. Guess I should have quoted the people I was referring to. Sorry!

No that's fine!  My post looked like it was Christmas vs. no Christmas anyway...needed to be clarified.  :-)

Archived