• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Famine Coming Soon

• Members

I am a deacon in an independent Baptist church. I have taught adult Sunday school for 28 out of the last 35 years. I am a business manager for my family. I must stay well informed so I do watch all kinds of news.

Ethnic violence is increasing greatly in the world. That is Nation against nation.

Earthquakes are increasing in frequency and intensity.

pestilences of all kinds are increasing.

There are great and fearful signs in the heavens.

war is happening or threatening.

Can famine be far behind?

My pastor does not have a TV to watch the news either.

You might want to research much of this further and find the actual facts which the mainstream media doesn't report.

Some of what you mentioned above have actually been fewer recently, not more. Others have remained rather steady.

There has not been a time in recorded history when there hasn't been ethnic violence and nation against nation going on. Is there more of that going on today than during WWII?

What "great and fearful signs in the heavens" are we all missing?

Wars have been a constant throughout history. What major wars are in progress now? Ever read of the long-lasting wars in Europe when the Muslims were invading? Ever read about the Hundred Years War, the Thirty Years War, WWI and WWII?

There have been many times of far worse famines having occurred during our own lifetimes, not to mention in previous history, than we see anywhere today.

I eagerly await the return of Christ but nothing going on today points to that being any closer than does the simple fact we have to be closer today than yesterday.

In a previous post I asked: Can the return of Christ come at any time or are there things that must happen first?

• Members
Mt 24:6  And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.
Mr 13:7  And when ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars, be ye not troubled: for such things must needs be; but the end shall not be yet.

• Members

Mt 24:6  And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.
Mr 13:7  And when ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars, be ye not troubled: for such things must needs be; but the end shall not be yet.

Yes!

• Members

I am a deacon in an independent Baptist church. I have taught adult Sunday school for 28 out of the last 35 years. I am a business manager for my family. I must stay well informed so I do watch all kinds of news.

Ethnic violence is increasing greatly in the world. That is Nation against nation.

Earthquakes are increasing in frequency and intensity.

pestilences of all kinds are increasing.

There are great and fearful signs in the heavens.

war is happening or threatening.

Can famine be far behind?

My pastor does not have a TV to watch the news either.

See post #138 above.

• Members

I eagerly await the return of Christ but nothing going on today points to that being any closer than does the simple fact we have to be closer today than yesterday.

In a previous post I asked: Can the return of Christ come at any time or are there things that must happen first?

I like this set of verses:

9 But as touching brotherly love ye need not that I write unto you: for ye yourselves are taught of God to love one another.

10 And indeed ye do it toward all the brethren which are in all Macedonia: but we beseech you, brethren, that ye increase more and more;

11 And that ye study to be quiet, and to do your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you;

12 That ye may walk honestly toward them that are without, and that ye may have lack of nothing.

13 But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.

14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.

15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.

16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words.

May have nothing to do with any of this, but it is encouraging to know, (no matter what happens), 'to live'.
Edited by Genevanpreacher

• Members

You might want to research much of this further and find the actual facts which the mainstream media doesn't report.

Some of what you mentioned above have actually been fewer recently, not more. Others have remained rather steady.

There has not been a time in recorded history when there hasn't been ethnic violence and nation against nation going on. Is there more of that going on today than during WWII?

What "great and fearful signs in the heavens" are we all missing?

Wars have been a constant throughout history. What major wars are in progress now? Ever read of the long-lasting wars in Europe when the Muslims were invading? Ever read about the Hundred Years War, the Thirty Years War, WWI and WWII?

There have been many times of far worse famines having occurred during our own lifetimes, not to mention in previous history, than we see anywhere today.

John,

Jesus can come any time that God chooses.

But Jesus must come soon because of the following bible passage.

Zephaniah 1:14-2:3 

14 The great day of the LORD is near, it is near, and hasteth greatly, even the voice of the day of the LORD: the mighty man shall cry there bitterly.

15 That day is a day of wrath, a day of trouble and distress, a day of wasteness and desolation, a day of darkness and gloominess, a day of clouds and thick darkness,

16 A day of the trumpet and alarm against the fenced cities, and against the high towers.

17 And I will bring distress upon men, that they shall walk like blind men, because they have sinned against the LORD: and their blood shall be poured out as dust, and their flesh as the dung.

18 Neither their silver nor their gold shall be able to deliver them in the day of the LORD's wrath; but the whole land shall be devoured by the fire of his jealousy: for he shall make even a speedy riddance of all them that dwell in the land.

1 Gather yourselves together, yea, gather together, O nation not desired;(((Israel)))

2 Before the decree bring forth, before the day pass as the chaff, before the fierce anger of the LORD come upon you, before the day of the LORD's anger come upon you.

3 Seek ye the LORD, all ye meek of the earth, which have wrought his judgment; seek righteousness, seek meekness: it may be ye shall be hid in the day of the LORD's anger.

Now that Israel has gathered the day of the Lord is very, very near and the rapture is more near!

Therefore famines must also be near.

• Members

John,

Jesus can come any time that God chooses.

But Jesus must come soon because of the following bible passage.

Zephaniah 1:14-2:3 

14 The great day of the LORD is near, it is near, and hasteth greatly, even the voice of the day of the LORD: the mighty man shall cry there bitterly.

15 That day is a day of wrath, a day of trouble and distress, a day of wasteness and desolation, a day of darkness and gloominess, a day of clouds and thick darkness,

16 A day of the trumpet and alarm against the fenced cities, and against the high towers.

17 And I will bring distress upon men, that they shall walk like blind men, because they have sinned against the LORD: and their blood shall be poured out as dust, and their flesh as the dung.

18 Neither their silver nor their gold shall be able to deliver them in the day of the LORD's wrath; but the whole land shall be devoured by the fire of his jealousy: for he shall make even a speedy riddance of all them that dwell in the land.

1 Gather yourselves together, yea, gather together, O nation not desired;(((Israel)))

2 Before the decree bring forth, before the day pass as the chaff, before the fierce anger of the LORD come upon you, before the day of the LORD's anger come upon you.

3 Seek ye the LORD, all ye meek of the earth, which have wrought his judgment; seek righteousness, seek meekness: it may be ye shall be hid in the day of the LORD's anger.

Now that Israel has gathered the day of the Lord is very, very near and the rapture is more near!

Therefore famines must also be near.

Where does Scripture say significant famines will come before Christ returns?

According to Scripture the return of Christ has been "near" and "soon" since Christ returned to heaven. Those earliest of Christians expected Christ to come in their own time. They weren't looking for a famine to give them insight to the nearness of Christ's return, nor were they looking for a gathering of Jews in Israel or the reestablishment of Israel as a sovereign nation, nor were they looking for man to develop weapons of mass destruction or anything else. Their plans for being prepared for the coming of Christ were to pursue personal holiness, spread the Gospel and make disciples.

• Members

Where does Scripture say significant famines will come before Christ returns?

According to Scripture the return of Christ has been "near" and "soon" since Christ returned to heaven. Those earliest of Christians expected Christ to come in their own time. They weren't looking for a famine to give them insight to the nearness of Christ's return, nor were they looking for a gathering of Jews in Israel or the reestablishment of Israel as a sovereign nation, nor were they looking for man to develop weapons of mass destruction or anything else. Their plans for being prepared for the coming of Christ were to pursue personal holiness, spread the Gospel and make disciples.

The early Christians were looking for the catching up to Jesus in the air as we are today.

The famines and other signs listed in Matthew 24:7-8 are signs for the second coming to earth of Jesus as king.

However the rapture will come before the second coming so now that Israel has gathered we can expect the rapture soon too.

• Members

The early Christians were looking for the catching up to Jesus in the air as we are today.

The famines and other signs listed in Matthew 24:7-8 are signs for the second coming to earth of Jesus as king.

However the rapture will come before the second coming so now that Israel has gathered we can expect the rapture soon too.

If that's the case, that Christians will be raptured soon with famines coming sometime later before Christ's Second Coming to rule, then what's all the talk about famines are coming upon us now and we need to stockpile supplies?

Since Christians have been expecting the rapture soon since the time of the Apostles nothing has really changed since Israel became a nation again because Christians have the same expectation of a soon return of Christ as they had prior to 1948.

• Members

I thought that the Lord's second coming was when he returns in the air? (Acts 1:10,11)

Oh, yeah, I forgot... it's not a second coming if he don't touch the ground. (Acts 1:10,11?)

[um, he did start off from da ground,

so I figger he prOBly gonna touch da ground,

a when he comes back that is, which would be

his return I'm a guessin', and, um...wouldn't dat

be da second coming?]

Edited by Genevanpreacher

• Members

If that's the case, that Christians will be raptured soon with famines coming sometime later before Christ's Second Coming to rule, then what's all the talk about famines are coming upon us now and we need to stockpile supplies?

Since Christians have been expecting the rapture soon since the time of the Apostles nothing has really changed since Israel became a nation again because Christians have the same expectation of a soon return of Christ as they had prior to 1948.

If the tribulation starts as soon as we are raptured the famines will come before we go up.

• Members

I thought that the Lord's second coming was when he returns in the air? (Acts 1:10,11)

Oh, yeah, I forgot... it's not a second coming if he don't touch the ground. (Acts 1:10,11?)

[um, he did start off from da ground,

so I figger he prOBly gonna touch da ground,

a when he comes back that is, which would be

his return I'm a guessin', and, um...wouldn't dat

be da second coming?]

Actually Zechariah 14:1-5

The Lord will touch down on the mount of Olives in the middle of the tribulation when Israel flees to the river ford on the Arnon River in Jordan Isaiah 16:1-5.

• Members

If the tribulation starts as soon as we are raptured the famines will come before we go up.

Where does it say such in Scripture?

There are, have always been and always will be famine so no particular famine could be viewed as being a sign the rapture is upon us.

Scripture says before Christ returns it will be just as in the days of Noah, with everyone going about their lives as usual, nothing out of the ordinary going on, folks eating and drinking, marrying and going about their lives. That doesn't sound like a time of famine.

One would also have to wonder what the point of have a beginning of tribulation would be if prior to the beginning the things of the tribulation were going to begin...???

• Members

Where does it say such in Scripture?

There are, have always been and always will be famine so no particular famine could be viewed as being a sign the rapture is upon us.

Scripture says before Christ returns it will be just as in the days of Noah, with everyone going about their lives as usual, nothing out of the ordinary going on, folks eating and drinking, marrying and going about their lives. That doesn't sound like a time of famine.

One would also have to wonder what the point of have a beginning of tribulation would be if prior to the beginning the things of the tribulation were going to begin...???

The signs in Matthew 24:7-8 are as sorrows or birth pains. They will become more frequent and more sever as the day of the Lord nears. They are not everywhere at once nor continues.