• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Famine Coming Soon

• Members

Sigh...

Again, if you don't want to store extra food, don't. But don't try to sound more spiritual than those who do. Now, because GP took my head in the sand comment to be directed at him, please know I didn't direct my last statement (or even the head in the sand one) at anyone specific.

I didn't take it as personal as that, but it was condescending to those here who do look at this as a 'teaching of men'.

Just because I do not believe the subject in this thread is a biblical subject, makes me, (as well as others), seem to 

have our "heads in the sand"?

I think that is what you implied.

So, as I glean from your post, if someone declares, scripturally, that someone who OBviously believes the Bible teaches we should

store food for a coming famine, one that will be worse than ever before, as birthing pains that get worse the closer to delivery, we 

think we are "more spiritual"?

Oh joy. 

The "more spiritual" person is the one who teaches what scripture actually says.

So, yeah, I guess, from that point of view, some of us are "more spiritual", and it is not the one's making up the famine story.

If someone wants to store food. I have no prOBlem with that, it makes sense to take care of your family, no matter the situation.

But, if you teach that the scriptures warn us to store food for a famine?

People will believe just about anything, if a Christian says it's in the Bible.

• Members

None of this is occurring in a more frequent or harder manner today than in the past so wouldn't that be a sign the end is yet some ways off?

It also says these things shall be in divers places which means not everyone will be effected by each or perhaps by any of them.

Other than Christ's return being closer now than when we were saved, there is nothing to indicate from those verses that His coming is going to be in our lifetime.

Even so, when I found diet root beer on sale I stocked up on some so now my water supply will last longer if a famine hits us this winter.

John and all,

Some scientist believe we are entering a very, very, cold change in climate. John Casey wrote a book called "Cold Sun" which explains why they believe it. If you go on you tube you can hear him explain what is coming. The Russian scientists are predicting a new Little Ice Age. That explains why they want the Crimean warm water port. A change in the sun's energy out put effects the earth by cooling climate and more and harder earthquakes accompanied by more volcanoes. John Casey believes we face large crop losses over the next thirty years. We are seeing large dips in the jet stream and dry areas already.

Since what they are predicting will cause all the things Jesus said would come as the day of the Lord approaches, it is worth checking out.

• Members

John and all,

Some scientist believe we are entering a very, very, cold change in climate. John Casey wrote a book called "Cold Sun" which explains why they believe it. If you go on you tube you can hear him explain what is coming. The Russian scientists are predicting a new Little Ice Age. That explains why they want the Crimean warm water port. A change in the sun's energy out put effects the earth by cooling climate and more and harder earthquakes accompanied by more volcanoes. John Casey believes we face large crop losses over the next thirty years. We are seeing large dips in the jet stream and dry areas already.

Since what they are predicting will cause all the things Jesus said would come as the day of the Lord approaches, it is worth checking out.

While Scripture is true, the theories of scientists often are not.

When I was a child the scientists were predicting a coming ice age. The school textbooks were filled with warnings of the coming ice age and what that would mean. Then virtually overnight they went from telling us an ice age was coming to declaring the horrible threat of glOBal warming! That new theory of doom prevailed for many years until, like the previous coming ice sheets theory, it was so OBvious there was nothing to worry about they had to come up with something new. Now they warn about "climate change", which any type of weather can conveniently fit into that category, and declare this climate change is because of man.

Basically, for the past decade glOBal temperatures have remained steady. The president just declared glOBal temperatures rose in 2014 but his comment was based upon some data which says the temperature was some tenths of a degree warmer. Not only did he fail to cite the exceedingly tiny possible "warming" but he failed to point out that this tiny difference falls well within the margin of error and is therefore totally meaningless.

Most scientists, like the rest of the population, are lost sinners and being such they are less than truthful, subject to greed, enjoy fame and recognition, etc. In order to get hefty grants to fund their research and pet projects it's a common practice for many scientists to promote any theory that happens to be PC at the time in order to gain grants from the government and universities.

While there are some who claim the sun is going to grow colder, there are others claiming the sun is going to grow hotter. Some still hold to the glOBal warming aspect of "climate change" while some others are saying the climate change will bring about a new ice age. Also of note is how they no longer predict a very slow coming ice age as they once did, but now warn of an almost instant ice age along the lines of the Dennis Quaid movie, "Day After Tomorrow".

So, scientists are hardly unified upon their views and the theories they support tend to shift with the shifting of funding.

Russia has controlled the warm water port in Crimea since the time of Catherine the Great. Russia has always needed warm water ports. During the American "civil war" Russia and the USA cozied up in the face of possible war with England. This enabled Russia to keep her fleet at sea, using American ports, during the winter months.

If you research what Russia has been doing you will find they are of the belief temperatures will warm somewhat, not get colder. This is why they have been so busy exploring and staking claims in the northern regions.

Besides all these things, we know from Scripture the world will continue as in the days of Noah with things going on as normal. There is no direct warning of His impending return. Scripture says if we are about the Father's business when He returns we will be doing well.

Much better to simply go by what Scripture actually says rather than try to predict the future which Scripture says we can't do.

• Administrators

I didn't take it as personal as that, but it was condescending to those here who do look at this as a 'teaching of men'.

Just because I do not believe the subject in this thread is a biblical subject, makes me, (as well as others), seem to 

have our "heads in the sand"?

I think that is what you implied.

So, as I glean from your post, if someone declares, scripturally, that someone who OBviously believes the Bible teaches we should

store food for a coming famine, one that will be worse than ever before, as birthing pains that get worse the closer to delivery, we 

think we are "more spiritual"?

Oh joy. 

The "more spiritual" person is the one who teaches what scripture actually says.

So, yeah, I guess, from that point of view, some of us are "more spiritual", and it is not the one's making up the famine story.

If someone wants to store food. I have no prOBlem with that, it makes sense to take care of your family, no matter the situation.

But, if you teach that the scriptures warn us to store food for a famine?

People will believe just about anything, if a Christian says it's in the Bible.

I think you need to take a step back. This post is very condescending -- yep. I can say that, too.

I never once said anything about this: "Just because I do not believe the subject in this thread is a biblical subject, makes me, (as well as others), seem to 

have our "heads in the sand"?"  

being the case.  I said if someone can't see that real trouble is coming they have their heads in the sand. And if that's you, so be it, since you are trying to argue that's what I intended.

No, the pious attitude I was referencing was the idea that there is no need to have extra food because God will provide everything.  If you read carefully what I've said, you'll see that's been it all along. But, no - you choose to take offense and claim I'm condescending.  That's your prOBlem, not mine.

I will say it again: there is no sin in storing food. God lauded the ant, using it as an example of industry worthy of note.  Hoarding is wrong, as the NT plainly makes clear. But if one is storing food because they see that trouble is coming and they want to be able to help others, there is not one thing wrong with it.  THAT HAS BEEN MY POINT ALL ALONG.  

You don't believe the Bible teaches famines will get worse. Fine.  That's your choice. I do believe famines and other prOBlems will get worse and I believe we can see it happening.  Yes, we have 24/7 news and so we are more aware of what goes on in the world, but things are not - even here in America - as "good" as they were 50/60 years ago.  Yep, there were riots back in the 60s and 70s. But what's happening now in this country is much worse.  People killing just to kill. It is happening with more frequency, no matter if anyone wants to admit it or not.  THAT IS THE NATURE OF SIN.

As far as being more spiritual? Nah - someone can be right about something in scripture and yet be unspiritual. The devil quoted scripture to Jesus, remember.   Someone can be wrong about something in scripture - you know, like partial preterism, which most of us here agree is a 'teaching of men' - and yet be spiritual. Because we are human.

Now, understand this GP.  My comments were only and completely in reference to those implying that storing food was a lack of faith. Stop taking offense (and, yes, you did take offense or you wouldn't have gone off like you did) and reading into my posts what isn't there. 

Yes, some people will believe anything a Christian says is in the Bible...

• Members
  • Members

1 Thessalonians 5:1-4

The world will be surprised by the day of the Lord but we are God's children of light we should be watching and know it is near.

I do know the day of the Lord is near, it is near, and hasteth greatly because Israel has gathered.See Zephaniah 1:14-2:3

• Members

1 Thessalonians 5:1-4

The world will be surprised by the day of the Lord but we are God's children of light we should be watching and know it is near.

I do know the day of the Lord is near, it is near, and hasteth greatly because Israel has gathered.See Zephaniah 1:14-2:3

Yes. I agree, but your verse is in the subject of God's destruction of Jerusalem.

Not the world when Jesus Christ returns. (A good reading of that chapter reveals that easily.)

Edited by Genevanpreacher

• Members

Yes. I agree, but your verse is in the subject of God's destruction of Jerusalem.

Not the world when Jesus Christ returns. (A good reading of that chapter reveals that easily.)

Jesus told the disciples that the coming war on Jerusalem was not the end. Matthew 24:6

• Members

Jesus plainly stated that if we are about the Father's business we will be found "ready" when He returns. Those who are not about the Father's business will be caught "off guard" as they are living for self, not God.

None of this says a famine is coming so spend your resources stockpiling food. It doesn't say nuclear war will be upon you before Christ returns so build a bunker. We aren't told anarchy will be in our midst so we must stockpile weapons.

What Scripture does say is we are give ourselves fully to the Lord, surrender self, fully OBey and trust the Lord as we give ourselves to His service. Whatever comes, if we are standing strong in the Lord He will provide. When Christ returns and we are about the Father's business both the Lord and ourselves will be happy.

• Members

Jesus told the disciples that the coming war on Jerusalem was not the end. Matthew 24:6

This is getting a bit off subject, but where are you getting what you say?

Matthew 24:6 - 6And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.

How is this talking about coming war on Jerusalem?

Are you studying someone's study guide or something? It appears you seem to 'add' to what verses are talking about.

Am I missing something in what you are trying to say? I am a bit dense sometimes.

Edited by Genevanpreacher

• Members

This is getting a bit off subject, but where are you getting what you say?

Matthew 24:6 - 6And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.

How is this talking about coming war on Jerusalem?

Are you studying someone's study guide or something? It appears you seem to 'add' to what verses are talking about.

Am I missing something in what you are trying to say? I am a bit dense sometimes.

Some people believe the things described in verses 7-8 were fulfilled in 70 AD at the fall of Jerusalem. Jesus said war was coming but it would not be the end. The signs listed in verses 7-8 are for the end of the world or age.

• Members

Some people believe the things described in verses 7-8 were fulfilled in 70 AD at the fall of Jerusalem. Jesus said war was coming but it would not be the end. The signs listed in verses 7-8 are for the end of the world or age.

Ok, I messed up somewhere. Let me see if I can make some sense of me.

Look back at your reference in Zephaniah 1, and compare it to Matthew 24. It is not the same timing at all.

That was what I was in reference to in post #100.

The reference in Zephaniah is about destruction of Jerusalem back then. BC. Not the Matthew 24 subject.

That is what I am trying to say.

I think.:D

• Members

Ok, I messed up somewhere. Let me see if I can make some sense of me.

Look back at your reference in Zephaniah 1, and compare it to Matthew 24. It is not the same timing at all.

That was what I was in reference to in post #100.

The reference in Zephaniah is about destruction of Jerusalem back then. BC. Not the Matthew 24 subject.

That is what I am trying to say.

I think. :D

The day of the Lord in Zephaniah 1:14 comes after Israel is gathered at the end of time.