• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Famine Coming Soon

• Members

It might be a mistake to believe that because the Lord has not let you go hungry yet that He never will.  PrOBably this is out of context but I am reminded of the words to a silly country song, "I never promised you a rose garden".  It seems like some think they are more special in God's eyes than say, the list of the faithful people in the book of Hebrews.  

Though I don't have a lot of faith like a lot of other people seem to have, I know I am safe in my Saviours hands.  He has let me go without many meals, He has let me suffer in many different ways, but it has all been for my good and I thank Him for the lessons.  It just seems foolish for anyone especially a Christian to believe that they are beyond suffering because they are God's children.  Many of God's children have and will suffer.

• Members

To the actual matter of Scripture and laying up food. Notice God told Pharaoh, through Joseph, to store up food. God never told Joseph to personally store up food, nor did God warn JacOB to do so. There are many examples of times of famine in Scripture but the Lord didn't tell people to prepare by stockpiling. Even so, we do see how God supplied the needs of His people just as He promises in Scripture.

Again, to be clear, if someone chooses to stockpile food that's up to them, but Scripture doesn't direct us to do so.

• Members

Luke 12:21 So is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.

The parable of the rich fool is about someone whose heart is with that treasure and not with God. But as far as I can see the verse above clearly says it is not a case of either or. Eric says he is storing the food to feed many including himself, and he says he doesn't mind if God takes him before it is used. So what's the prOBlem?

OK, I was wrong.  I apologize.

• Members

I see.

Notice your wording: { "Eric says he is storing the food to feed many including himself, and he says he doesn't mind if God takes him before it is used. So what's the prOBlem?" }

Hence, post #57.

Your answer above denies your "So what's the prOBlem" question.

There I'm saying, so why apply the rich fool parable to Eric given the argument I've made in the sentence immediately prior to the one you've quoted. One reason, of course, might be that they think my argument is wrong.

If you think I'm being inconsistent and want me to understand that you'll have to explain better because I don't have a clue what you mean about the answer denying the question.

• Members

If some one would like to have food insurance but does not have much money, bulk wheat sells for about $10.00 per 50lb bag in my area at animal feed mills. One pound of grain is about 1500 calories and will keep a person alive for a day. Boiled wheat tastes like boiled pasta. I like to fry it in butter and add maple syrup sweetener. I have stored my wheat in 55 gallon drums inside two 55 gallon garbage bags. Add two or three pounds of dry ice to kill any bugs. Let the dry ice melt then tie the bags. put the top on the drum to keep out mice and kids. I bought the drums for $15.00. 1 drum will hold 250 pounds of wheat. My wheat should last for 100 years if the drums are stored in the dry.

I know I appear foolish to you who don't understand what is coming.

If a watchman sees the sword coming on the land and does not warn the people, the blood of the people will be on him, but if he warns the people and they don't listen to the warning the blood will be on the people's head.

Edited by Eric Stahl

• Members

There is a reason the Lord tells us not to worry.

31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?

32 (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.

33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof. Matthew 6:31-34

None of us knows what the future holds. We could live out our days in great plenty and peace. We could be hit by terrible calamities. War and famine could befall our land. We may pass from this life today.

One thing we do know is that God is in control. He calls us to give our attention to Him and He promises to supply our needs.

Ye of little faith...yes, that was me in so many areas in years gone by but by His grace and experiencing His great provision, protection and love over the years I've come to believe the Word is true, we can take His Word literally, we can trust Him and He will make a way and provide for us when we see nothing for Him to work with.

If a months worth, six months, or a years worth of food stored away makes someone feel better that's fine as far as it goes, but ones confidence can't be in such material things. As well, in times of lack those who have plenty are become targets for those without. What then? Will you share your stockpile with all who ask as Scripture says or will you close your hearts and use force, even killing others to keep the food from them? What will you do when you find yourself surrounded by those well armed intent upon taking all you have by force?

In this life anything we tend to ourselves is subject to many flaws and often opens the doors many other prOBlems.

This is nothing new. Many folks built bomb shelters in their yards, fortified their basements, built escape shelters away from cities so they could escape the coming nuclear war so many said was coming. They stocked these places with food, water, weapons and medical supplies. Virtually all went to waste.

During theY2K hype there were so many people doing similar. Families were stocking up on beans and rice, guns and ammunition.

As Scripture says, nothing new under the sun. Yet we know our unchanging God has promised to care for His own and He is well capable of doing this whether we have a year of food stocked in the garage or only one granola bar in an othewise bare pantry.

• Members

See I've always taken that verse to mean that we are not to worry (as hard as that is!), not that we are not to plan at all. I don't see the difference between storing food for a time of famine, and storing food for winter, or keeping back seed to plant next year's crop, or building an irrigation system to cope with both winter floods and summer droughts. I don't see the difference between stockpiling food and building or owning a house: the person who seeks that house is making plans to keep themselves out of the rain not just for that night but for many in the future, else they'd get a tarpaulin for one night. Someone who sits exams or attends a jOB interview is carrying out plans for a long-term source of income, since neither is going to get them paid that day. Someone who has a bank account is stockpiling money for future use.

Is planning for anticipated events the same thing as worrying about them? If yes, we need to stop doing all of the things above, and stop relying on others who do them (e.g. farming).

• Members

I believe the bible when it says famines will come before the day of the Lord. Zephaniah 1:14,2:1-3 teaches that the day of the Lord is very near when Israel the nation not desired has gathered.

So I just bought 1000lbs of wheat and 1000lbs of corn and 1000lbs of soy beans for $702.00 at a local feed mill. 1 lb of grain is about 1500 calories. They are stored in two 55 gallon garbage bags inside 55 Gallon drums with two lbs of dry ice. they should keep till I die or I am called up to meet Jesus.

You can learn how to cook them on you tube.

Whats your address Eric? You aren't far from me and my stomach is a growling fierce this morning.

• Members

Although I will not store food for a possible EMP event, I can see the reasoning behind it. If the grid goes down prior to the Great Tribulation which is a possibility then all will be affected whether lost or saved and if you are unprepared then you will have to fight to feed your family.

The Lord will provide through your action and not by a miracle folks. 

If one has true faith, it is Spiritual and deals with eternity and you won't worry or care about stock piling food or shooting your neighbors. But not to worry, the end is not yet.

There is an extreme site I stumbled on a few years ago that was huge and spoke of almost nothing but this EMP subject. It was a professing Christian site but i don't recall the name. Anyway, the guy who owned the site was adamant about stockpiling food, guns, ammo with the premediated intention of shooting anyone coming near his perimeter and I recall a large following of professing Christians on there.

I don't know about you but I don't want to go home to the Lord with murders as my last acts on earth. I would prefer selfless giving of the Gospel and my food, uh thank you very much.

The NT does teach to provide for your own but not in any way, shape or form are we to sin in order to do it. That is in direct contradiction to everything the Lord taught. As a matter of fact, we are to abandon our families for the Gospel if they will not follow the Lord also. Now if they follow, yes provide but if they don't, we are to love the Lord far more then spouses, kids, parents, etc.

• Members
Mat 6:25 Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment? 26 Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?