• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Famine Coming Soon

• Members

1 Timothy 5:8

But if any provide not for his own,and specially for those of his own house,he hath denied the faith,and is worse than an infidel.

Notice the context of this, and related verses as well. Notice we are called to provide for what today we would call our extended family as well. While I know of Christians in some other lands which do this, there are exceedingly few Christians in America willing to take care of their needy aunts (for instance).

Notice also we are nowhere told to stockpile for our families. What we are instructed is not to waste our substance upon ourselves only; we are not to lay up any treasures upon earth but rather we are to freely give out of whatever abundance the Lord provides.

Whether today or during a time of famine, if someone needs help we are told in Scripture to help them.

In time of crisis are you willing to share your stockpile with your entire extended family if they need food? Are you willing to share your stockpile with your entire church family if they need food? Are you willing to give to any who ask your help?

Scripture does not say we will be facing starvation before Christ returns.

Actually, with so many needy Christians (as well as billions more needy non-Christians) we have to ask ourselves if stockpiling months or years of food is the right course of action when so many need that food today. Are we the one the Lord wants to use to provide a persons daily bread today? If so, will we follow the Lord's instruction to help all we can or will we refuse and the Lord have to raise up another for such a time as this?

• Members

Notice the context of this, and related verses as well. Notice we are called to provide for what today we would call our extended family as well. While I know of Christians in some other lands which do this, there are exceedingly few Christians in America willing to take care of their needy aunts (for instance).

Notice also we are nowhere told to stockpile for our families. What we are instructed is not to waste our substance upon ourselves only; we are not to lay up any treasures upon earth but rather we are to freely give out of whatever abundance the Lord provides.

Whether today or during a time of famine, if someone needs help we are told in Scripture to help them.

In time of crisis are you willing to share your stockpile with your entire extended family if they need food? Are you willing to share your stockpile with your entire church family if they need food? Are you willing to give to any who ask your help?

Scripture does not say we will be facing starvation before Christ returns.

Actually, with so many needy Christians (as well as billions more needy non-Christians) we have to ask ourselves if stockpiling months or years of food is the right course of action when so many need that food today. Are we the one the Lord wants to use to provide a persons daily bread today? If so, will we follow the Lord's instruction to help all we can or will we refuse and the Lord have to raise up another for such a time as this?

John,

You are right about extended family needing care. I have 19 people who will be needing help because none of them will prepare for themselves. It takes 1 pound of mixed grains to give each person 1500 calories for a day. We will all lose weight on that amount of food, but we will live for a time. Our grand parents caned food for a year.

How long can you live on the food in your house now? If the power grid goes down you may have to find out.

• Members

Whether I have a years worth of food stocked in the basement or one small can of beans in the cabinet I know God will provide. In good times and bad the Lord has never let me go hungry. At home or far away, the Lord has provided. I know without doubt the Lord can and will provide our daily bread regardless of the power grid, crop production, famine, war or whatever may come about.

We who have are told in Scripture to share with those who have not. If we OBey our Lord, whatever stock we have won't be ours alone, but for the care of however many others have need. Whether friend or foe Scripture says we are to give, asking nothing in return, when others seek our help. Scripture also says if we see others in need and could help but don't...

• Members

For 48 years, I've never missed a meal due to lack. God has a good track record.

For me personally, I'd fear trusting in what I had laid up in store and not trusting Jesus. If Jesus told me to lay up in store like he did Joseph, I would try my very best to OBey. So far I have not seen anything in his teachings that say I need to lay up for tomorrow, next year, next decade, etc. 

The man who built a bigger barn to lay up for years to come, Jesus called him a fool. Luke 12:20, 21

• Members

For 48 years, I've never missed a meal due to lack. God has a good track record.

For me personally, I'd fear trusting in what I had laid up in store and not trusting Jesus. If Jesus told me to lay up in store like he did Joseph, I would try my very best to OBey. So far I have not seen anything in his teachings that say I need to lay up for tomorrow, next year, next decade, etc. 

The man who built a bigger barn to lay up for years to come, Jesus called him a fool. Luke 12:20, 21

The rich man laid up for himself. I have 19 people on my side of the family. I don't think my wife's side will come to us for help. I live 4 blocks from our church. NOBody is preparing for trouble.

• Members

Luke 12:21 So is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.

The parable of the rich fool is about someone whose heart is with that treasure and not with God. But as far as I can see the verse above clearly says it is not a case of either or. Eric says he is storing the food to feed many including himself, and he says he doesn't mind if God takes him before it is used. So what's the prOBlem?

• Administrators

Interestingly enough, there are people all over the world who are Christians who do face hunger issues.  Because of the oppression by their governments.  Is God not providing for them?  Of course He does, just not what we think of when we say provide.

To think that we are more spiritual than someone else because we do not store extra provisions because we know God will provide is a wee bit prideful, IMO (yes, I know, no-one said they were more spiritual...but it does kind of come across that way...).  Especially when God uses that someone else to provide food for those who don't store it themselves...

Kudos to you, Eric, for thinking of your family.  Yes, I do believe that famine is coming. It's hard to believe with things still in abundant supply in this country, but there are supplies that run out. Personally, I believe this is by design.  When a shortage occurs, panic ensues...and when people panic, they being to pillage.  If there is pillaging, big government can step in.

Not only do supplies run short at times, but we face weather issues that cause growing prOBlems as well. Freezes in FL and CA cause citrus to die and thus prices go up, lack of rain causes many foods not to grow in as much abundance as could be, etc.  

And, lest we forget, God used the ant as a good example...

• Members

Luke 12:21 So is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.

The parable of the rich fool is about someone whose heart is with that treasure and not with God. But as far as I can see the verse above clearly says it is not a case of either or. Eric says he is storing the food to feed many including himself, and he says he doesn't mind if God takes him before it is used. So what's the prOBlem?

The mis-applying of a so-called teaching as if it were really taught in the bible. [Eric's post, that is.]

Edited by Genevanpreacher

• Members

My question, GP, was for those who are saying that any, like Eric, who store or stockpile food are as the rich fool in the parable.

I see.

Notice your wording: { "Eric says he is storing the food to feed many including himself, and he says he doesn't mind if God takes him before it is used. So what's the prOBlem?" }

Hence, post #57.

Your answer above denies your "So what's the prOBlem" question.

• Members

I am astounded John that you have chosen to totally ignore the mean spirited and accusatory misapplication of Scripture by Invicta, while making a huge deal out of Eric use of Scripture.

Where are these postings? I've not read one of Invictas postings outside the Supper thread in awhile.

In any event, there are far more postings I don't respond to here than that which I do. The same could be said for each of us.

Eric knows how to carry on a civil conversation, so that helps open the door of discussion.

By the way, you OBviously misread my postings since I'm not making a "huge deal" out of Eric's use of Scripture; simply discussing a topic with him.

If you wish to address whatever Invicta is discussing while not responding to Eric, myself or anyone else at this particular time, I won't be offended or accuse you of ignoring those people or posts.

On the other hand, I would be interested to hear how things are going with your family and church as it's been awhile since you've posted about either.