• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

“… Give Thanks …”

RSS Robot

• Members
give-thanks_thumb%25255B1%25255D.jpg?img
This graphic came from Ukrainiac.wordpress.com. Sometimes a search for a graphic to go along with a thought process brings unexpected blessings. During our time of thanks giving, pray for the people of Ukraine, and for our world leaders. God knows they need it and we do, too. We’ve been told to give thanks in everything:

Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 KJV)

Here, nothing is lost in the differing translations of the Bible. We are to look for reasons to rejoice, always. We are to be in prayer – in touch with God  - always. We are to find reasons for thankfulness, always. These are themes throughout the Bible.

Give thanks unto the LORD, call upon his name, make known his deeds among the people. (1 Chronicles 16:8 KJV)

That’s just the first verse calling for us to “Give thanks” in chapter 16. David pitched a tent for the returning Ark, then delivered a Psalm to Asaph, most of which we find in Psalm 105. I love how it opens:

O give thanks unto the LORD; call upon his name: make known his deeds among the people. Sing unto him, sing psalms unto him: talk ye of all his wondrous works. Glory ye in his holy name: let the heart of them rejoice that seek the LORD. Seek the LORD, and his strength: seek his face evermore. (Psalms 105:1-4 KJV)

Because I know the Lord, I can give thanks unto Him, call upon His name at any time – and I certainly desire to make known how He has worked in my own life, praying people will allow Him to do so in theirs. Even in illness – my own and my loved ones – we can sing to and about Him, tell of His wondrous works – in our lives as well as through eternity – rejoice with those who seek Him and share their joy as well.

Whether it’s Psalm 107:1 or 118:29 – we’ll join in:

O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good: because his mercy endureth for ever. (Psalms 118:1 KJV)

For those two things are quite sufficient to be thankful. Then, He went much further:

We love him, because he first loved us. (1 John 4:19 KJV)

Before we acknowledged Him, before we considered loving Him, He loved us to lay the foundation for our adoption – even before this world was created:

But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory: (1 Corinthians 2:7 KJV)

Not just on a day set aside for Thanksgiving, but forever rejoicing, give thanks unto the Lord while seeking to know Him better and better.

View the full article

Archived