• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

When Does One Say, "enough"?

Ukulelemike

• Moderators

Would the one faithful man be willing to travel to go to a good church? 

He might, as sometimes he goes to Reno and picks up a friend of his, and brings him back for church at our place. So I suspect he might. We could even carpool-these are all thoughts I have had.

My concern is for the 'children' in Christ, who are yet immature and need to spiritual milk. They won't make the trip, and instead will wallow in nothing, or fall prey to the pentecostal church, the only other options in the area.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My concern is for the 'children' in Christ, who are yet immature and need to spiritual milk. They won't make the trip, and instead will wallow in nothing, or fall prey to the pentecostal church, the only other options in the area.

I think you've answered your own original question. 

• Members

I agree. Marriage picture the relationship between Christ and His church, which is why WHO we marry is so important, because if we marry wrong, we show an incorreect picture, like a church following a false messiah, or if Jesus was head over a false religious group. So, if a believer marries a non-believer, is it considered a legitimate marriage, being clearly against God's revealed will? 

While a marriage may be entered into out of God's perfect will, Scripture indicates once entered into a marriage is "legitimate". They are legally and spiritually bound before God in their marriage and the same rules God lays out for marriage applies to them as well as to others.

• Members

My My, what a wonderfully encouraging post you have written Wretched. Nothing like kicking a guy when he is down.

Rom 14:4 Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.

Hardly being judgmental on this Jim and folk. In fact, I don't believe it means husband of one wife for life myself. The list of quals are all written in the present tense, so one wife at a time makes sense in the context of the lists.

HOWEVER and this is a big however, I am not 100% sure on that nor can anyone else be. That raises the question in my mind, what if I am wrong and the vast majority of fundamental believers are right?

IE, this may very well be the reason for the long time barren church?

Seems reasonable to me. After all, everytime a pastor of a fundamental church does sin a sin which now disqualifies him, yet he keeps pastoring, that church becomes barren almost overnight. They start decline. I have seen it myself. Maybe that fact also applies to churches begun or taken over by a disqualified pastor.

Every failed pastor of any church searches their hearts for that ignored DQ or DQs I would imagine (I know I would if in that place)

• Members

Just wanted to say that my heart is sad for you because I know how you feel to some extent, and our church is doing better than yours.  But we have only a fairly small handful of faithfuls, even after having been here 12 years.   We have more who are Sunday morning only....but even then, still lots of empty spots on the pews.  :-/   We have toyed around with leaving, and my husband has even sent our resumes....but every time God shows us to stay.   So we stay.  Your church makes me thankful to be in mine....not that that makes you feel any better.

i don't really want to get involved in the marriage discussion, other than that many good men disagree on the reasons for divorce and remarriage.  My dad was a deacon before my mom died in a car accident.....and he remarried to a divorced woman (she had an abusive situation and is saved).   So he will never again be a deacon, but he assists his pastor with counseling and fills the pulpit at times without actually having a title.  But anyway....I know it's tough.  I guess all you can do is beg God to show you what to do....maybe He would have you stay, or maybe He will lead you to a church where the pastor needs help and encouragement....just like my dad does for his pastor.   Hey....want to move to PA?   ;-)

• Moderators

Hardly being judgmental on this Jim and folk. In fact, I don't believe it means husband of one wife for life myself. The list of quals are all written in the present tense, so one wife at a time makes sense in the context of the lists.

HOWEVER and this is a big however, I am not 100% sure on that nor can anyone else be. That raises the question in my mind, what if I am wrong and the vast majority of fundamental believers are right?

IE, this may very well be the reason for the long time barren church?

Seems reasonable to me. After all, everytime a pastor of a fundamental church does sin a sin which now disqualifies him, yet he keeps pastoring, that church becomes barren almost overnight. They start decline. I have seen it myself. Maybe that fact also applies to churches begun or taken over by a disqualified pastor.

Every failed pastor of any church searches their hearts for that ignored DQ or DQs I would imagine (I know I would if in that place)

I appreciate your honesty and frankness, and believe me, I have considered all this, many times, over the last 12 years

• Members

PrOBably the best book available on the subject of marriage:

God's Wisdom for Marriage & The Home

by Pastor Scott Markle
Softcover, 446 pages

A comprehensive study concerning what the Word of God teaches about marriage and the home, including chapters on:  The Priority of Marriage; The Permanency of Marriage; The Purpose of Marriage; Cleaving unto Thy Wife (Parts 1 & 2); An Help Meet for Him (Parts 1 & 2); Love One Another; and One-Flesh Unity.

Available here:

http://www.shepherdingtheflock.com/store/p2/God%27s_Wisdom_for_Marriage_%26_The_Home.html

And Amazon.com

I highly recommend this book which is very thorough and saturated with Scripture.

• Members

PrOBably the best book available on the subject of marriage:

God's Wisdom for Marriage & The Home

by Pastor Scott Markle
Softcover, 446 pages

A comprehensive study concerning what the Word of God teaches about marriage and the home, including chapters on:  The Priority of Marriage; The Permanency of Marriage; The Purpose of Marriage; Cleaving unto Thy Wife (Parts 1 & 2); An Help Meet for Him (Parts 1 & 2); Love One Another; and One-Flesh Unity.

Available here:

http://www.shepherdingtheflock.com/store/p2/God%27s_Wisdom_for_Marriage_%26_The_Home.html

And Amazon.com

I highly recommend this book which is very thorough and saturated with Scripture.

Brother John,

I thank you greatly for your recommendation.  It was very gracious of you to present.

• Moderators

Well, with much prayer and soul-searching, so to speak, I have chosen to continue on for now in the work.

I know some of my brethren disagree with my being a pastor in the first place, and to them, I will not argue the point. I know where you are coming from, and it has, indeed, been a subject on my mind for years.

My reasoning for staying is simple: I am and always have been convinced that the Lord sent me here. As I have said before, and don't mean to push a point too much, but so much of my life was directed from outside of my own will, as it were, that I was led here almost without my complete approval, or at least in the direction of pastoring, or something.  When I finally fully (re)surrendered myself to Christ, I had peace and began to serve in any capacity I could. But somehow I kept ending up in churches whose pastors kept pushing me to preaching and down the road to becoming a pastor. When my current church opened up, Both I, and that church, fully knowing of my divorce, were convinced I was meant to go, as was my former pastor, an old-time IFB church planter and pastor.  And as for now, remaining even under less-than-ideal circumstance, I have to admit that the idea of leaving was based upon emotions and discouragement, but the ultimate thought of leaving led to even more discouragement and disquietedness. I believe, if I was to leave, it would be preceeded by peace in that decision, and there has been no peace when that is considered. But I have greater peace now, having chosen to stay.

Should a divorced/remarried man be a pastor? Overall, I suppose the jury could be considered to be out. But if so, even in this, I can't leave those who would be without. Should the Lord remove me directly in some manner, or bring in someone else willing to do the work, who will love these strange, country folks as I have, then I would step down.  But again, I believe such a decision will be followed by peace, and for me, there has been no peace in that decision.

So I will stay. Thanks for everyone's words and advice. I appreciate all of it, even that which stands opposing me as a pastor, because it was given in love, in a good spirit, and I appreciate that. I don't ask you to accept where I stand, but maybe pray for me, for us, that God's will be done and He be glorified in it.

• Moderators

Thanks to all who have kept us in prayer, it is paying off. We had a young couple visit, he was raised in church but was never saved. He asked about being baptized so we asked about his salvation. He said he wasn't saved so we explained it. He had some understanding, like he'd heard but never put it together. Seed had been planted, and praise God we were allowed the harvest. He's getting baptized next Sunday.

Archived