• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Way Of Life - Hating The Rapture

RSS Robot

• Members

Speaking at the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship’s annual meeting in June 2003, Campolo said: “That whole sense of the rapture, which may occur at any moment, is used as a device to oppose engagement with the principalities, the powers, the political and economic structures of our age” (“Opposition to women preachers evidence of demonic influence,” Baptist Press, June 27, 2003).

View the full article

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

First published in 2011 and  dragged back out for us now.

Quoting new evangelicals, emergent church writers and millennial church wrighters (if you can make a distinction) to prove that there is a hate for the pre trib rapture.

I can sum this up in two words: WELL, DUH!!!

Dr. ROBerson

• Members

Mat 24:4
4 And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.

2Th 2:3
3 Let no man deceive you by any means:for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

The word "imminent", concerning Christ's Return is, by default, heresy.
We are warned not to be decieved by those who say it could be any minute.
We have been given over 3 & 1/2 years worth of signs to "watch".

If there was a "rapture"(non-scriptural word alert!) immimnent, what could we possibly watch? In a twinkling of an eye, the resurrection will take place.
If it preceeds the Tribulation of those days, there would be nothing to watch, we would be whisked away before any signs began.

IIThes is very clear, and OBviously referencing I Thes. 4&5, that some things have to appear first, and one is the Son of Perdition.

So, carry on with your New Age doctrine, you will know the truth,
when we are hunted like beasts, for not taking the Mark, or worshipping a false god.

• Members

This kind of brings up one of the points Suzy raised in another thread. Who is Cloud's intended audience?

From my own experience, Cloud is virtually unknown outside IFB circles. It's mostly those who are in at least general agreement with Cloud's stance that make up his audience. Who among us would even think of turning to Mark Driscoll as a source for end-times clarity? Most of the other names mentioned I've only barely heard of or had not heard of at all. Were it not for all the controversy surrounding Mark's OBviously flawed preaching and church governing, I likely wouldn't have known that name.

Perhaps we should tend to our own house before looking to see how bad the houses are on the other side of the tracks.

• Members

I think you would be surprised at the number of IFB that "turn to" Mark Driscoll and others outside the IFB for sources on much more than just end-times.

If that's accurate I would say "wow!" Then I would wonder about the pastors they have and just what they preach and teach.

Now, if we are talking about the IFB folks/churches that have chose to take a Leftward turn, then I could see some of them looking to "lesser" sources but that's because they are heading that direction anyway.

• Moderators

If that's accurate I would say "wow!" Then I would wonder about the pastors they have and just what they preach and teach.

Now, if we are talking about the IFB folks/churches that have chose to take a Leftward turn, then I could see some of them looking to "lesser" sources but that's because they are heading that direction anyway.

Even in my little church, I have to fight always to keep them on track. I have one man who is a bit slow, and he, at times, seems to want to listen to any weirdo he meets on the local trail, than he will to me. Then I have to spend time in refuting everything this fellow is told, because, of course, it all sounds so good. Again, he's a bit slow, brain damaged thrice over, so he's a challenge. Someone once told him that he was supposed to confess his sins before the church to be forgiven. Once. I have spent the last 8 months having to, at almost every service, tell him its not true. I have given entire messages on it, and still, he asks about it.

Another man, smart guy, but with an SBC background, I recently had to tell him that his hero, Billy Graham, has a lot of prOBlems and he's not the one we should be going to for our doctrine.

People are stubborn, they don't always pay attention, and they are so bombarded with so much junk out there that sounds so good and feels so good, that the truth must be continually laid bare before them, time and again.

• Moderators

Got a couple in our church who used to attend a Methodist church-the only reason they come to mine is because they moved away from that one. Now, all the things they have heard about the worldliness of the Methodists today, the error, the outright lies sometimes going forth there, woman preachers, etc, yet when they visit that area, they always go back to that church, and then gush about how wonderful it was to be there.  Again, kind of slow folks-she's a bit slow and he has a form of Aspergers.

This is my group-as well, I have an Armenian lady who is from an Orthodox church in Armenia, who only goes to ours because there is no orthodox church to attend. She argues about how terrible the Jews are, crosses herself, and in her heart is still orthodox, even tho9ugh she hears the truth regularly. With her, I suspect it is a language thing, as she speaks English only so well. But at least she got it last week concnerning Baptism, and she now agrees that baptism doesn't protect a baby, that it has nothing to do with salvation. But its slow, after so long being immersd in a religion that is a major part of her culture.

But I am thankful for each person, and thankful that they are there and I can keep them under the gospel, and maybe, one day, they will hear and understand.

• Members

Mat 24:4
4 And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.

2Th 2:3
3 Let no man deceive you by any means:for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

The word "imminent", concerning Christ's Return is, by default, heresy.
We are warned not to be decieved by those who say it could be any minute.
We have been given over 3 & 1/2 years worth of signs to "watch".

If there was a "rapture"(non-scriptural word alert!) immimnent, what could we possibly watch? In a twinkling of an eye, the resurrection will take place.
If it preceeds the Tribulation of those days, there would be nothing to watch, we would be whisked away before any signs began.

IIThes is very clear, and OBviously referencing I Thes. 4&5, that some things have to appear first, and one is the Son of Perdition.

So, carry on with your New Age doctrine, you will know the truth,
when we are hunted like beasts, for not taking the Mark, or worshipping a false god.

Are you referring to the Second Coming or the catching away of the Church (slang is Rapture)? Your Scriptural references apply only to the former and not the latter. You remember the Scriptures dealing with the catching away of the Church, don't you? You know the whole thief in the night; the hour no man knoweth, two in the field, one taken; etc etc etc.

If you want to be here for the trib my friend, I recommend you collect and study every doomsday show on the discovery channel you can find. You will need it or just surrender your head without any attempt to evade and survive.

It would be a shame if you are the only born again person prior to the Lord coming in the air not spared from this great tribulation. Who will you talk to about being left behind? It will be lonely for you. (I am poking fun-please forgive)

Of course, if you are born again, you won't be here whether you have been deceived into mid or amil or not. Hey to each their own I suppose but it amazes me that folks can actually confuse the differences between the two events in Scripture. 

But hey, apparently there are diverse group of religious folks on this site supposedly being lead by the Spirit in their study of the Scriptures and almost none of them agree on much of anything, even repentance unto salvation.

• Moderators

Are you referring to the Second Coming or the catching away of the Church (slang is Rapture)? Your Scriptural references apply only to the former and not the latter. You remember the Scriptures dealing with the catching away of the Church, don't you? You know the whole thief in the night; the hour no man knoweth, two in the field, one taken; etc etc etc.

If you want to be here for the trib my friend, I recommend you collect and study every doomsday show on the discovery channel you can find. You will need it or just surrender your head without any attempt to evade and survive.The idea that believing in a mid or post trib/pre-wrath catching up, means one 'wants to be here for the trib' is error. No one in their right mind would want to be, but when one's study finds no clear passages of scriptuire that says otherwise, and the only really clear scripture declares it to take place just prior to the outpouring of God's wrath AFTER the tribulation, then what else can we do? By the way, it isn't TV shows and movies or works of fiction I will seek to, but to the Bible. Not much chance to survive and evade, at least not for long. In fact, most WILL die, because it will be given to the Antichrist to make war with the saints, and to overcome them. I suspect there will be far more going up first, from the grave, than "we who are alive and remain".

It would be a shame if you are the only born again person prior to the Lord coming in the air not spared from this great tribulation. Who will you talk to about being left behind? It will be lonely for you. (I am poking fun-please forgive) Maybe not as lonely as you believe.

Of course, if you are born again, you won't be here whether you have been deceived into mid or amil or not. Hey to each their own I suppose but it amazes me that folks can actually confuse the differences between the two events in Scripture. Still haven't seen the scripture that proves this out, that Christians won't be present for the tribulation time.

But hey, apparently there are diverse group of religious folks on this site supposedly being lead by the Spirit in their study of the Scriptures and almost none of them agree on much of anything, even repentance unto salvation. Can't argue that.

• Members

This kind of brings up one of the points Suzy raised in another thread. Who is Cloud's intended audience?

From my own experience, Cloud is virtually unknown outside IFB circles. It's mostly those who are in at least general agreement with Cloud's stance that make up his audience. Who among us would even think of turning to Mark Driscoll as a source for end-times clarity? Most of the other names mentioned I've only barely heard of or had not heard of at all. Were it not for all the controversy surrounding Mark's OBviously flawed preaching and church governing, I likely wouldn't have known that name.

Perhaps we should tend to our own house before looking to see how bad the houses are on the other side of the tracks.

I think you would be surprised at the number of IFB that "turn to" Mark Driscoll and others outside the IFB for sources on much more than just end-times.

With the state of today's "Christianity", let a man (or woman) gain some popularity, and people will flock to them in droves. It doesn't matter if they're doctrinally sound...if they're popular, that's all that matters...gotta jump on the latest bandwagon syndrome.

• Members

I've not experienced many from solid IFB churches who go much for the "popular" preachers. Then again, most every IFB church around here today have turned from their traditional IFB foundations.

From my experience with those who do or have turned much attention to popular preachers and "Christian" fads, warning them about the dangers only seems to fuel their desire to dig deeper and draw closer to the danger.

I know IFBs mature in the faith who will read select books or listen to select sermons outside the IFB fold, but not as their main source of instruction and not so as to follow them, but with a careful eye to Scripture. These men would never recommend such to immature Christians.

Maybe since I have little contact with those IFB churches that have turned Leftward I don't realize how many who call themselves IFB are into "popular christianity". Then again, as Dave may ask, are they really still IFB...certainly they are no longer traditional IFB.

Archived