• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

New Birthday Celebration Idea

Ukulelemike

• Moderators

So, I have begun something new in my life.

I have never been a big birthday guy-I think is selfish to celebrate yourself, and expect everyone around you to drop everything to celebrate you, just because you happened to be popped out by your mama on a certain day, an event that we have absolutely no power or influence over.

So, this year on my birthday, my wife and I took my parents out for lunch, and bought them a new microwave, which they haven't had for some time.  When we went in, carrying the microwave, I said, "Happy putting up with me and my shenanigans for 51 years-day!" They were shocked and stunned. And interestingly, they were planning to go buy a microwave later that same day, so it worked out well.

So, don;'t our parents rather deserve the praise and adulation on our birthdays? They pooped us out, cleaned us up, fed us, burped us, changed our poopy diapers, wiped our boogers, taught us to read, to be decent human beings, and for many here, prOBably took us to church regularly, and we got saved.

Now, maybe not all had such great parents. My wife's mother was 'the other woman', twice, was never married, taught them to hate men, (or tried), lied about their father, and wasn't very nice to them. But my wife firmly believed to honor her mother as the Bible taught, and was with her at her side when she died, witnessing to her till the end.  Now she will give that honor to my parents, in her mother's place. And so should we all honor our parents, if anyone, for our birthdays.

Take the focus off me and put it where it belongs.

Or that's my idea.   we had a great time, by the way. My daughter, the tattooed, pierced recovering addict, came along, as well, so it was even nicer. She's getting better, slowly but surely, now that she is staying among family.

Archived