• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

When Is A Non-Baptist A Baptist?

• Members

I always find it funny when someone who is not a Baptist says they are just the same as a Baptist.
It seems that lots of people think they are just like a Baptist but not many Baptists would agree with them.

I have had many people over the years say they are just the same, but a bit of talking shows they are not Baptist on many things.

• Moderators

I guess you'd need to define what you mean by Baptist. I figure if someone holds to Baptistic beliefs, then they're a Baptist. Whether or not they're an IFB is another question entirely. There're certainly tons of people that go to 'Baptist' churches that we would disagree with on a lot of issues - but they would still count themselves as baptists, and they may well be so.

• Administrators

I'm pretty dogmatic about this subject, prOBably bordering on unbending.

To me if someone is not willing to take the name Baptist, they are not a Baptist. They can say they are the same all they want, but part of being a Baptist is a willingness and even eagerness to identify with the church that Jesus built.

Now some may say that Baptists have not always been called by this name, and they would be correct. But for us today Baptist denotes not only a specific system of belief, but also identifies us as the true churches that have existed since the time of Christ and the Apostles.

Some have called me narrow minded for this stance, but that's ok because "narrow is the way."

• Members

I'm pretty dogmatic about this subject, prOBably bordering on unbending.

To me if someone is not willing to take the name Baptist, they are not a Baptist. They can say they are the same all they want, but part of being a Baptist is a willingness and even eagerness to identify with the church that Jesus built.

Now some may say that Baptists have not always been called by this name, and they would be correct. But for us today Baptist denotes not only a specific system of belief, but also identifies us as the true churches that have existed since the time of Christ and the Apostles.

Some have called me narrow minded for this stance, but that's ok because "narrow is the way."

So you are saying that only churches today that have the name Baptist in it are the only true churches? How about other countries where the naming of churches may be different? The church of christ claims that for a church to be true, it cannot have a certain name in it, it has to be in the Bible, are you going along that line of reasoning?

• Members

So you are saying that only churches today that have the name Baptist in it are the only true churches? How about other countries where the naming of churches may be different? The church of christ claims that for a church to be true, it cannot have a certain name in it, it has to be in the Bible, are you going along that line of reasoning?

Brider doctrine.  Their Church claims to be the Bride of Christ, while others are just guests.  LOL

Thought... John was a Baptist.  From what I see in Scripture, John didn't point to his own religion... he pointed to Christ.

• Members

I will recommend a very good book on the subject. You can read it and any others you wish, but make an informed decision on what you believe.

You need to have a better reply that "Jesus was not baptized by John the catholic, or John the Methodist, but by John the Baptist!"

I'm surprised that no one has brought up the BAPTIST acrostic yet.

The book, by Evangelist Mike Gass, is called: "A Glorious Church"  subtitled: "A study of the origin, identity, heritage, and integrity of the new Testament Church."

Its published by Striving Together Publications, from Lancaster Baptist Church, Lancaster CA. And most of you know its pastored by Paul Chappell.

The crux of the book is that Jesus did establish a called out assembly, gave it a mission, and that a line of churches throughout history has strived to maintain a pure bride of Christ.

There is only two times in the gospels that Jesus said he finished something. We all know He finished our redemption on the cross, but in the gospel of John 17:4, Jesus says he finished the work that God has sent him to do. What was finished? If our salvation was finished on the cross, it couldn't have been done in John 17:4.

Answer that question and I personally believe you will be 99% done with your study of the origin of the church.

Did Jesus call his work a Baptist church? Nope. Did Jesus establish what we could call a church? Yes. Just as we firmly believe that God has perfectly preserved his Word, He has also guided The church throughout the ages.

For me, and this is just my belief the origin of the church started with Jesus and the Baptist church is the closest to that church that I have found. Your mileage may very.  You may be a landmark or separatist, or secessionist, and even Anabaptist. Which ever you prefer to be, make sure you can back it up with scripture and prayer, with lots of study having been done.

Dr. ROBerson

• Members

Remember SFIC, Judas was just a person, not the whole called out assembly.

We all have saved and unsaved members in our churches.

It's the responsibility of the pastor to be on point through the power of the Holy Spirit to lead the church, and for every believer to do the same.

Dr. ROBerson

• Members

I also believe the Baptist Church to be the closest. But closest does not necessarily mean on point.

Close is good when it comes to horseshoes and hand grenades. But suppose close doesn't work for our Lord? Remember, Judas was close... but lost.

You said book full with these two lines

After 30 years and living all over the world I have yet to see a real New Testament Church.

The closest I have seen are missionary works in central and south america but absolutely zero in the states.

The NT Church Operating guide and standards are in the Book of Acts. If anyone knows of one like in the Book of Acts, please share the info.

The 7 day a week Church where dying to the world and sharing all things common is the standard, praising God and worshipped all day, working to provide for the whole body and not our own ambitions in this nasty world and for entertainment would go out soulwinning.

The Amish maybe? Nah, they get the sharing all things part down but are clueless to the rest.

We get the soulwinning down pretty good but are clueless to the rest. Seems even the most fundamental Churches are over adminstered and run like corporations.

I know we are all set in our ways and American culture to change now and I certainly won't be starting a church myself but can't stop but wonder why noone notices that this maybe why we are so stagnant.

• Members

The thing is, many things taught in,not just our Baptist churches, but also in churches of other denominations as well, don't line up with Scripture.

Even in the Baptist faith, there are many varying belief systems and practices between many different sects or branch..

So, which is closest? Primitive? Southern? Missionary? Landmark? I'm sure you get the point.one church teaches unless you get baptized in their branch, you are not Christ's Bride. (Reeks of self-righteousness, in my opinion) Another teaches one is a member of the Bride if one is saved. Others say other things must be done.

They can't all be right.