• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Coming Asteroid Impact In The Atlantic Ocean

• Members

The Phoenicians were the "merchant marine" of the Mediterranean.  If you wanted to sail the sea in O.T. times, chances are you would be on a Phoenician ship.  Also, some Phoenicians left sailing and setteled - they became known as the Philistines.  Paleo-Hebrew (which Moses used) was derived from the Phoenician alphabet/symbols, as a written language had been invented to allow trade-communication all around the Mediterranean.

The bibles says the Philistines came from the island of Caphtor.  

There is no evidence that Moses got Hebrew from the Phoenicians.  Moses was commanded to write the law, and although he was educated in Egypt, there is no evidence that he wrote in any Egyptian script.  David Cloud in one of his articles shows that Hebrew must have been the original language of Adam, so there is no reason to doubt that Hebrew was not also the original script, Phoenician being derived from that, and Greek script also.   

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

God gave Tarshish a homeland.

Genesis 10

1 Now these are the generations of the sons of Noah, Shem, Ham, and Japheth: and unto them were sons born after the flood.

2 The sons of Japheth; Gomer, and Magog, and Madai, and Javan, and Tubal, and Meshech, and Tiras.

3 And the sons of Gomer; Ashkenaz, and Riphath, and Togarmah.

4 And the sons of Javan; Elishah, and Tarshish, Kittim, and Dodanim.

5 By these were the isles of the Gentiles divided in their lands; every one after his tongue, after their families, in their nations.

Ezekiel 38

1 And the word of the LORD came unto me, saying,

2 Son of man, set thy face against Gog, the land of Magog, the chief prince of Meshech and Tubal, and prophesy against him,

3 And say, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I am against thee, O Gog, the chief prince of Meshech and Tubal:

4 And I will turn thee back, and put hooks into thy jaws, and I will bring thee forth, and all thine army, horses and horsemen, all of them clothed with all sorts of armour, even a great company with bucklers and shields, all of them handling swords:

5 Persia, Ethiopia, and Libya with them; all of them with shield and helmet:

6Gomer, and all his bands; the house of Togarmah of the north quarters, and all his bands: and many people with thee.

7 Be thou prepared, and prepare for thyself, thou, and all thy company that are assembled unto thee, and be thou a guard unto them.

8 After many days thou shalt be visited: in the latter years thou shalt come into the land that is brought back from the sword, and is gathered out of many people, against the mountains of Israel, which have been always waste: but it is brought forth out of the nations, and they shall dwell safely all of them.

9 Thou shalt ascend and come like a storm, thou shalt be like a cloud to cover the land, thou, and all thy bands, and many people with thee.

10 Thus saith the Lord GOD; It shall also come to pass, that at the same time shall things come into thy mind, and thou shalt think an evil thought:

11 And thou shalt say, I will go up to the land of unwalled villages; I will go to them that are at rest, that dwell safely, all of them dwelling without walls, and having neither bars nor gates,

12 To take a spoil, and to take a prey; to turn thine hand upon the desolate places that are now inhabited, and upon the people that are gathered out of the nations, which have gotten cattle and goods, that dwell in the midst of the land.

13 Sheba, and Dedan, and the merchants of Tarshish, with all the young lions thereof, shall say unto thee, Art thou come to take a spoil? hast thou gathered thy company to take a prey? to carry away silver and gold, to take away cattle and goods, to take a great spoil?

1 ¶  Now the word of the LORD came unto Jonah the son of Amittai, saying, 2  Arise, go to Nineveh, that great city, and cry against it; for their wickedness is come up before me. 3  But Jonah rose up to flee unto Tarshish from the presence of the LORD, and went down to Joppa; and he found a ship going to Tarshish: so he paid the fare thereof, and went down into it, to go with them unto Tarshish from the presence of the LORD.

Jonah boarded a ship going to a place, not a people.

• Members

1 ¶  Now the word of the LORD came unto Jonah the son of Amittai, saying, 2  Arise, go to Nineveh, that great city, and cry against it; for their wickedness is come up before me. 3  But Jonah rose up to flee unto Tarshish from the presence of the LORD, and went down to Joppa; and he found a ship going to Tarshish: so he paid the fare thereof, and went down into it, to go with them unto Tarshish from the presence of the LORD.

Jonah boarded a ship going to a place, not a people.

The tribe of Tubal live in the area of Tubalisk Russia.

• Members

Do you think a literal Roman empire, or one resembling the type and style of Rome?

If anyone answers this question it would help me a lot.

Cause I do not see Rome as a world power in any 'future time' soon or in the near future.

And I don't ever hear of the Rome War Machine, have you?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9231770/Italy-cuts-the-size-of-its-army.html

• Members

Cause I do not see Rome as a world power in any 'future time' soon or in the near future.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9231770/Italy-cuts-the-size-of-its-army.html

2 Thessalonians 2:6-12 teaches that the time is coming when God will cause every person who has heard the truth of the gospel and rejected Jesus to believe the lie of antichrist. At that time all the former "Christian" nations will follow antichrist.                 Daniel 11:39-40 says he (antichrist) will do his will in the most strongholds before the end time wars start. America is the most stronghold now. NATO will follow too.

• Members

2 Thessalonians 2:6-12 teaches that the time is coming when God will cause every person who has heard the truth of the gospel and rejected Jesus to believe the lie of antichrist. At that time all the former "Christian" nations will follow antichrist.                 Daniel 11:39-40 says he (antichrist) will do his will in the most strongholds before the end time wars start. America is the most stronghold now. NATO will follow too.

This really doesn't answer the question and there is a heap of speculation here.

I'm not seeing in Scripture where "all the former "Christian" nations will follow antichrist", nor anything about America or NATO. Just what is necessary to consider a nation to have been or to be "Christian"? Many Muslim nations were heavily Christian prior to being invaded by Islamic hordes.

Scripture does say the world will follow after anti-christ, but then there are some who don't because they battle one another.

America is a "stronghold" of what? Whether in terms of Christianity or dominate power, America is going the way of previous power centers of Christianity and/or military power.

To GPs question, you didn't answer what he asked about Rome.

• Members

Uh...why did you quote me?

Is this 'to do' with the Roman Empire?

• Members

Rome has always been a world power since she defeated Cleopatra and Antony. First under the emperors then under the papal antichrist.  Non believers under that regime chose antichrist rather than Christ.

• Members

Ok, I assume people are not reading my posts. NOBody has answered my question.

Does anyone here believe Rome in Italy is the governmental power in armed forces that will be the

Revived Roman Empire that has been discussed here?

Or will it be another power like the Roman Empire of history?

At one time, the main thought was an actual revived Roman Empire, then some decided it was prOBably going to be 10 European nations that were once a part of the Roman Empire, then some said the EU was the new RE, many today say Roman Empire means all the nations Rome once ruled plus all the nations that stemmed from any of those nations through colonization and such. Yet even now, the growing trend is to the revived Roman Empire is actually a matter of Roman ways, not actual Rome itself. In this view, all the nations which practice some aspect of Roman law, politics, etc., are a part of the revived RE. Some even narrow it down to being nothing more than a monetary aspect.

There have been in years prior to these views rising, the idea the revived Roman Empire was going to be something akin to the Holy Roman Empire and would be led by the RCC from the Vatican in Rome with the pope as the head. Some still hold to some form of this view but it's not as common today.

There are several other theories as well. There is no definitive consensus upon the matter but a whole lot of speculation.

• Members

Does anyone here believe Rome in Italy is the governmental power in armed forces that will be the

Or will it be another power like the Roman Empire of history?

I have most often heard it as something along the lines of the Catholic Church gaining secular as well as religious power.

So from what I have heard the answer would be no - but I personally have no great opinion on it.
I would be really surprised if the Catholic Church does not play a big part in the great tribulation though.

• Members

Sorry I wasn't clear.

Because God will cause every person that hears the truth of the gospel and rejects Jesus to believe the antichrist (2 Thessalonians 2:6-12), America and all the former "Christian" nations will be the political force behind the antichrist. The apostate Christian churches in those nations will combine to form Harlot Babylon that rides and reigns over the kings in those nations. The fear of the people after the rapture will fill all the churches and give great power to the religious leaders in Rome. At the middle of the tribulation God will cause all those kings to give their power to the antichrist and burn Rome and take the wealth of the churches (Revelation 17)

• Members

And where exactly in scripture does it mention a revived Roman Empire?

Archived