• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

My Philosophy Of Leadership

Donald

• Members

This morning the Lord was burdening me about a question: So I sat down at my computer and typed out the following two pages......

My Philosophy of leadership:

I am a pastor, not an administrator.
According to Eph.4:11-12, I am a “pastor/teacher(preacher)”

As a “preacher”, I stick to the book; Preaching the whole council of God’s Word!
As a “pastor”, I am the “Spiritual leader” of a local Church! (Heb.13:17)
According to the Bible, the local Church, doesn’t belong to the pastor; Nor does it belong to the congregation!  It is “God’s Church”!    And all of us are Stewards of it!

Whereas, the local Church is the Lord’s, it is the Lord that will either bless it or withhold His blessings from it! (John 3:27)

Therefore A local Church can err in two directions, in this area of ownership.
(1)A Church’s pastor, can see himself as the owner!
(2)or a Church’s congregation can see itself as the owner!
    -Both views are wrong and damaging to that local Church!-

Although in most cases, either one of these views or directions, are acted upon, out of a sincere desire to see that local Church prosper; They are both sincerely wrong!

A pastor may take too much “control” of a Church, with the motivation of wanting to keep it heading in the right direction.  Or a congregation may take too much “control” of a local Church, with the same intent.  But both of these decisions are wrong!

The local Church is “the Lord’s” and He will take it in the direction that He wants it to go.

An administrator is “someone who runs a business”:
While a pastor, is “someone who leads a congregation”!
(The local Church is not a business!)
------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bible is clear in the duties and responsibilities of both a local pastor and a local congregation.
With everyone agreeing that Jesus is the “Head of the Church”, the pastor is to be the Spiritual leader of that Church. Therefore the pastor is to have complete control over every “Spiritual decision” made in the Church. While the congregation is to have complete control over the daily operation of the Church(the money). This means that although the congregation controls purse strings, the pastor controls the pulpit and every teaching position in the Church.

A temptation that Satan will put into a pastor’s heart, is to take more control, because as the Spiritual leader, he is more qualified to wisely spend the Church’s money.
But a temptation that Satan will put into a congregation’s heart, will also be to take more control; dictating to the pastor which Sunday School material to use and when to have special meetings and who to call to preach at those meetings. Also a congregation may feel empowered to do this, because after all, they control the money.

Most of the time, both of these scenarios are played out with all the best of intentions.
But according to the Bible, both of these are Satanic and will hurt the local Church.

This paper is about “leadership”, therefore it’s about “control”. The Bible makes it very clear, that in the local Church the pastor and the congregation about to “share control” of the Church. The clearest example of this are the two Biblical authorities that God has placed in the local Church. (1Timothy 3:1-13) Pastors and Deacons!

As I have said, the pastor is to be the Spiritual leader in the Church, while the Congregation is to assist him in running the Church. In this case, the deacon is the congregation’s representative. As we see in Acts 6:1-7, the congregation was put in charge of “choosing” the prospective deacons, while the pastor was in charge of ordaining them.

If a local Church ever makes the mistake of calling an ungodly pastor, it is the deacons place(as directed by the congregation), to run him off. I have seen great Churches destroyed by ungodly pastors that were nothing more than thieves; who would run the congregation off and ransack the local Church. This was the congregation’s fault, for not taking a stand and running this ungodly pastor off.

But I have see congregations do the same thing. If they called a “man of God” who preached the truth to them(when they didn’t want to hear it). Then in retaliation they would either starve the pastor out or call an unauthorized meeting and vote him out. But the more “civilized” congregations, would simply call the pastor into a deacon’s meeting and tell him to resign; With the threat that the congregation would vote him out if he didn’t resign.

In both of these examples, Satan has his way in a local Church. The first example demonstrated how he can get a local Church to be shut down, while the second example is how he can arrange for a local congregation to become a Church, “in name only”. For sure, a congregation is to have control over the money a Church brings in. But they need to be constantly reminded, that “the Church” does not belong to them. It is God’s Church and if a congregation will be led of God’s Holy Spirit in calling a pastor and they call God’s man, than God will have His way in that Church!

Archived