Online Baptist Community
  • Newest Sermon Entry

• By 1Timothy115 in Devotionals
      Psalms 119:1-8                                         Sep. 5 - Oct. 2, 2019
      1 ALEPH. Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the LORD.
      2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
      3 They also do no iniquity: they walk in his ways.
      4 Thou hast commanded us to keep thy precepts diligently.
      5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
      6 Then shall I not be ashamed, when I have respect unto all thy commandments.
      7 I will praise thee with uprightness of heart, when I shall have learned thy righteous judgments.
      8 I will keep thy statutes: O forsake me not utterly.
      The following verse stood out to me...
      5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
      At first glance it seemed to me this person’s soul is poured out with intense desire to have God’s direction in keeping His Word.
      I made a small wood fire in our backyard for my granddaughter, Julia, since she would be staying overnight with us. My wife and Julia stayed outside at the fire for about half an hour. Then, I found myself alone to watch the fire die out on a particularly lovely evening. So I took my verse from above and began to repeat it for memorization. As I repeated the verse, I tried to contemplate the words and apply them to what I was seeing around me. 
      The moon and stars were out now peering through the scattered clouds above.
      [Genesis 1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also. Genesis 1:17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth, Genesis 1:18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.]
      Thought 1         
      The moon has stayed his course since the day God created him, also the stars, obeying the statutes directed by God from the first day they were created. Can you imagine God’s direction to the Moon and stars, “moon you will have a path through the sky above the earth, stars you will occupy the firmament above the moon and be clearly visible in the cloudless night sky.”
      Then, the trees, grass, even the air we breathe obey the statues God gave them from the beginning. None of these creations have souls, none have hearts, none have intelligence, but they all observe God’s statutes, His instructions for their limited time on earth.
      Thought 2
      What if we were like the moon, stars, trees, grass, or the other creations which have no soul? We would be directed to keep God’s statutes without choosing to keep them. This is not the image of God, there would be no dominion over other creatures, or over the earth. We would not be capable of experiencing the joy and peace of learning the love of God
      Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
      Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
      Thought 3 (October 2, 2019)
      Is the psalmist pleading God to force God’s statutes to become the man’s ways? No, he is speaking of his own failure in keeping God’s statutes and his desire to keep them, very much like Paul in Romans 7:14-25.
      God doesn’t work through force to turn men from their ways that they would desire His statutes or desire God Himself. Men must reject (repent) put aside his own ways and voluntarily seek God and His statutes.

A Great Delusion...

Rate this topic

• Moderators

I guess part is dependent upon what the Bible means, when it says "Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition; " 

By "revealed" does it mean merely as a man coming into power, or revealed, as in, taking the seat of the Lord and declaring himself to be god?  Will 'he that letteth' be taken out of the way, and THEN the antichrist will come to power, or will he fully reveal himself and declare himself God? So, at what point, then, will the delusion come? When will he that letteth be taken out of the way? When Antichrist first steps onto the stage, or when he declares himself god and demands worship?

I believe people will be saved during the tribulation, and they will be saved in the same way all are saved: by faith in Jesus Christ. But I also believe that, once the delusion comes, it will be those who have not had opportunity, or perhaps, direct opportunity. Many have 'heard' of Jesus, and have perhaps had some drawing, but have not had a direct opportunity, someone telling them they need salvation. Perhaps this will only apply to those who have willingly and knowingly rejected Jesus Christ, while those who haven't directly so, may still be saved.

• Independent Fundamental Baptist

Even those who began this discussion on the side of the great delusion being absolute, have for the most part softened that position a little.

Well now, there is one among us who has not "softened" his position concerning the universality and absoluteness of the "strong delusion" among unbelievers during the time wherein it is administered by the Lord our God.  Yet, as I have already revealed, I do hold to a different position than most concerning the timing for that "strong delusion."  On the other hand, if I still held to the position that the "strong delusion" shall begin with the rapture and the beginning of the seven year Tribulation Period, I also would be somewhat compelled (in order to avoid an apparent contradiction in Biblical teaching) to "soften" the application of that "strong delusion" among unbelievers.

Concerning the timing for the various events/activities mentioned in 2 Thessalonians 2:3-4 & 8-12, I believe the following:

1.  ". . . and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition . . ." (v. 3) -- that this occurs at the beginning of the seven year Tribulation Period, that it is the actual start for the Tribulation Period, and that it occurs when the Antichrist establishes his covenant (treaty) with the people of Israel for a seven year period (as per Daniel 9:27).

2.  ". . . who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God." (v. 4) -- that this occurs at the mid-point of the Tribulation Period (as per Revelation 13:1-9).

3.  ". . . and then shall that Wicked be revealed . . ." (v. 8) -- that is occurs at the beginning of the Tribulation Period (as per point #1).

4.  ". . . whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming . . ." (v. 8) -- that this occurs at the end of the Tribulation Period when our Lord Jesus Christ literally returns unto this earth as King of kings and Lord of lords in order to establish His literal kingdom over the whole world for a literal period of 1000 years (as per Revelation 19:11 - 20:5).

5.  ". . . even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders, and with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved." (vs. 9-10) -- that this occurs at the mid-point of the Tribulation Period (as per Revelation 13:1-9).

6.  "And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness." (vs. 11-12) -- that this occurs in direct relation to the events/activities of verses 9-10, and thus that it occurs at the mid-point of the Tribulation period.

Might I then also present Revelation 13:8 as being worthy of notice in relation to this discussion (and especially in relation to my own position within this discussion.  Therein God's Word states, "And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world."  To me, it is worthy of note what this verse indicates concerning those who shall worship the Antichrist when he enthrones himself in the Temple of God at Jerusalem, proclaiming himself to be deity and requiring all the world to worship him as deity.  Yea, to me the use of the word "all" in this verse is worthy of notice.  Then in relation to those who do worship the Antichrist, it is worthy of notice what Revelation 14:9-11 declares concerning their eternal judgment.

So then, concerning my position on this matter --

1.  Will unbelievers be able to receive eternal salvation through faith in God the Son, the Lord Jesus Christ, as personal Savior during the seven year Tribulation Period?  Yes, by the multitudes, but only during the first 3.5 years of that Tribulation Period.

2.  So then, will unbelievers be able to receive eternal salvation through faith in God the Son, the Lord Jesus Christ, as personal Savior during the latter 3.5 years of the Tribulation Period?  No, not even a single one.  (Still absolute and universal in my position, not at all "softened")

Just some thoughts for consideration.

Edited by Pastor Scott Markle

When do the two witnesses preach?

Brother Mike,

Were you presenting this question toward me?  If so, then my answer would be as follow -- The two witnesses shall preach under the mighty power of God in Jerusalem throughout the first 3.5 years of the Tribulation Period, shall be killed at the mid-point of the Tribulation Period, and shall then be resurrected by the power of God 3.5 days later to ascend into heaven (as per Revelation 11:1-13).  On the other hand, if this question was not presented to me, . . . weelll, then you can just ignore my intrusion.

Edited by Pastor Scott Markle

• Moderators

Brother Mike,

Were you presenting this question toward me?  If so, then my answer would be as followers -- The two witnesses shall preach under the mighty power of God in Jerusalem throughout the first 3.5 years of the Tribulation Period, shall be killed at the mid-point of the Tribulation Period, and shall then be resurrected by the power of God 3.5 days later to ascend into heaven (as per Revelation 11:1-13).  On the other hand, if this question was not presented to me, . . . weelll, then you can just ignore my intrusion.

It was presented to whomever wanted to answer.

Those saved in the first half of the Tribulation are saved due to the "efforts" of the Jewish evangelists preaching the Gospel of the Kingdom to the uttermost part of the earth.

That is pretty clear from my post.

BTW, the "evangelists" are the 144,000 mentioned in Revelation, and they have the "gifts" illustrated in the beginning of the book of Acts.

Edited by beameup

Those saved in the first half of the Tribulation are saved due to the "efforts" of the Jewish evangelists preaching the Gospel of the Kingdom to the uttermost part of the earth.
BTW, the "evangelists" are the 144,000 mentioned in Revelation, and they have the "gifts" illustrated in the beginning of the book of Acts.

I noticed that you gave no Scripture to suport your "Jewish evangelist" theory.

Could you?

I noticed that you gave no Scripture to suport your "Jewish evangelist" theory.

Could you?