• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Think Fruit

RSS Robot

• Members
temp_thumb.jpg?imgmax=800
In 71 verses, we find fruit/s 82 times in the New Testament. I think that makes understanding “Why?” rather important to Christians, don’t you?

The first usage is an excellent place to start, with John, the Baptist. I suggest reading Matthew 3:1-12, then coming back to concentrate on fruit:

Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance: (Matthew 3:8 KJV)

Luke uses the same quote:

Bring forth therefore fruits worthy of repentance, (Luke 3:8a KJV)

My favorite scripture that describes these fruits is:

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. (Galatians 5:22-23 KJV)

(Note the fruits begin with ἀγάπη – that beautiful Greek word (one of four translated as “love” in the New Testament) that means the unconditional love between God and man. Christ used it twice in speaking to Peter in John 21:15-17, though Peter didn’t use it to answer Him.)

The first fruit we should display is God’s love.

The second usage of “fruit” may be just as important:

And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. (Matthew 3:10 KJV)

Much later, in Matthew 21:18-22, we see Jesus’ response to a fruitless tree. A bit earlier than that, Jesus used John’s words in describing what happens to trees without good fruit:

Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. (Matthew 7:17-19 KJV)

Back to Galatians to see descriptions of evil, corrupt fruit:

Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God. (Galatians 5:19-21 KJV)

There are God-promised consequences for specific deviations from God-given commandments. To believe these have changed, I would have to be shown a scripture reference. As I continue to read and study the Bible, I do not find where these scriptures are shown to be in error. Feel free to point out to me my error.

The last reference in the New Testament is one I’ve used often:

And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb. In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations. (Revelation 22:1-2 KJV)

That scripture takes us back to Genesis 2:9, the tree planted in His garden:

And out of the ground made the LORD God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil. (Genesis 2:9 KJV)

Please note that the tree of life was not included in the “Do not eat”:

And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die. (Genesis 2:16-17 KJV)

The tree of life fruit is freely given. Please, take some time to become a knowledgeable fruit inspector:

Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them. (Matthew 7:20 KJV)

View the full article

• Moderators

I know, as IFB's we tend to think of fruit almost purely as souls won to Jesus Christ, and to be sure, that IS a fruit, but today, not just among us, but many, fruit is not often enough seen as fruit within one's life and walk-our personal, spiritual growth before the Lord. Yet, a majority of verses concerning fruit are exactly that: growth. Fruits meet, or appropriate, for repentance, a life that shows our repentance, which begins in the heart, and is followed by the walk. The fruit, (mind you, not 'fruits"), of the Spirit-one fruit, numerous aspects of that fruit. And I believe that these aspects are gained, one at a time, by the believer, the more we grow and turn ourselves to the Lord in all aspects of life. Some are harder than others, like, meekness and longsuffering. But they are ALL parts of that one fruit, which shows our growth in the Lord.

This is why Christians show little change in their lives-not taught about the fruit, about the walk. In fact, it is the fruit that many believers are taught to be legalism, the change in the life, both within and without. We are told that we may know others by their fruit, and yes, that takes, BUM-bum-BUUUUM! Judging! And how can we do that, except that the change extends to the outward, despite the naysayers that tell others that they shouldn't be judged by their tattoos and purple mohawks and miniskirts and tank-tops and multiple piercings, that only God can judge because He sees what is in the inside, yet I say, the Lord tells us we may know them by their fruits, and their fruits inside will be seen reflected on the outside.

• Members

You reminded me of something, Bro. Mike.

The calling of God is one calling, as well.

There is no "call to preach", it is a command, etc.

So it is with fruit of the Spirit.

One fruit, yields much...
You don't have some fruits, but not others.
You have fruit, that remains.

Yes, offspring is fruit.

Good OBservation, Brother.

Archived