• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Hello Brethren!

Christian Soldier

• Members

From where I pastored, being "called off the floor" meant being removed from the pulpit for doctrine that was not in agreement with the Church Creed and/or Bylaws

its when you are someone asks you to preach and you didnt expect it. we do it alot at revival meetings and such. the pastor says "hey brother Joe Schmoe, how about you preach for us tonight?"

• Administrators

I worked for an evangelist who trained preacher boys during the summer. He would do that. A lot of times he would call on one of them and tell them to preach on something that was way out there - simply to see how they would find scriptural principle.

I remember one time the subject was why it's a sin to have a red-checked tablecloth.  Sounds ridiculous, I know. And I can't remember what the young fellow preached, but it actually was good.  He always told them they should be ready in season and out of season, at an instant, to preach.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

What a joy see a young preacher boy on the board. I was once a young preacher boy, many years ago, and it thrills me to see my God still calling young men to the ministry. God bless young preacher and remember when all else fails trust and follow Jesus.

• Moderators

We had a thread here once about "pet peeves". Here's one of mine (hope I haven't already said this 2 or 3 times - not trying to beat a dead horse).

The Lord doesn't have "preacher boys", if he has called a man to preach (be he 8 or 80, actively ministering for the last 6 days or 60 years, saved for 5 months or 55 years), he is a preacher. He may be lacking some experience but too many times I've seen Christians take the attitude that the "preacher boy's" message didn't have to taken as seriously as the same message from another preacher (they're just getting in some practice, flight time - so to speak, until they're ready to preach "for real").

I understand most older preachers mean it as a term of endearment but I believe it is often subconsciously undermining the "preacher boy's" efforts.

I've taught and given ministry opportunities to scores of preachers over the years and WON'T refer to them as a "preacher boy" but rather a "preacher".

Just my 2 cents (I just happen to think it's worth at least an Eisenhower silver dollar.)

• Members

We had a thread here once about "pet peeves". Here's one of mine (hope I haven't already said this 2 or 3 times - not trying to beat a dead horse).

The Lord doesn't have "preacher boys", if he has called a man to preach (be he 8 or 80, actively ministering for the last 6 days or 60 years, saved for 5 months or 55 years), he is a preacher. He may be lacking some experience but too many times I've seen Christians take the attitude that the "preacher boy's" message didn't have to taken as seriously as the same message from another preacher (they're just getting in some practice, flight time - so to speak, until they're ready to preach "for real").

I understand most older preachers mean it as a term of endearment but I believe it is often subconsciously undermining the "preacher boy's" efforts.

I've taught and given ministry opportunities to scores of preachers over the years and WON'T refer to them as a "preacher boy" but rather a "preacher".

Just my 2 cents (I just happen to think it's worth at least an Eisenhower silver dollar.)

Our pastors son dealt with that. The Lord didn't call him to be a preacher until shortly before he received his Bachelor's degree in pre-med; he was planning to become a doctor. The Lord's call and timing, with confirmation attending among those leading our church, brought him back to our church to serve as associate pastor (he also worked on and completed a Master's degree in some Christian field, I don't recall the actual major).

In any event, there were some in our church who looked upon this young preacher as just a boy not worth taking seriously. Sadly, for a year or so on the Sunday's he would preach our attendance dropped. (which I thought was not only insulting to him, but also to our senior pastor and certainly to the Lord) Eventually it became clear even to those folks that this young man was indeed called to preach and the Holy Ghost was working through him.

Still, that first couple of years was a trying time for him as some of the older members openly looked down upon him. He handled it well, by God's grace, and that left the door open for when the downlookers finally saw the Lord working through him and they came to accept him as a "real" pastor.

Archived