• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What's With Conferences These Days?

Ukulelemike

• Members

I have a prOBlem when they charge for the recordings......
Not a couple of dollars for the cost of cd's, but $70 and a copyright restriction........

That happened a couple of times over here when bigger churches held meetings,, but the last annual meetings over here it was all 100% free.

• Members

Sadly, there are many on limited incomes that cannot afford to attend "Jubilee" or other such conferences. I've missed many because my disability does not afford me the luxury of attending.

I am reminded of Paul, who told the Coronthians that should he accept payment for his preaching he would make his preaching less valuable. (Paraphrasing, but the exact wording is in 1 Cor. 9 ).

Just think of the impact many of these conferences could have if more were able to attend who wanted to but could not afford it...

• Administrators

At our conference (Fairhaven), we do our best to provide room and board for everyone (as Miss Daisy mentioned, she stayed in the dorm). We open our homes to people coming in so they don't have to pay for housing (we haven't personally been able to house people for years because of the size of our house).  Those in full-time service don't pay for any meals, either. There is a charge for meals for non-full time servants, but it is very low (well, Miss Daisy would know better than me, because I don't go to the meals...).

The preaching conference was originally started for the church people and it just morphed into a bigger thing.  For us it starts on Sunday morning, with one of the guest speakers preaching.  Then there is Chapel on Monday morning for those who want/are able to attend.  Monday night is the Sustainer's banquet, where those who have donated to the college over the year are hosted to a meal and there is always a college senior who preaches after the meal (along with come college testimonies).  Tuesday actually starts the main preaching for everyone. As Miss Daisy said, morning and evening preaching, with 2 men preaching at night.  There are activities planned in between so people can go and enjoy - often to Chicago, or the dunes, or some other place visitors to the area might want to go. Several groups have tables set up for folks to buy books (right, Pastor Scott Markle?  :icon_smile: ) from...good books that are a real help to folks.

On Tuesdays, there is a pastor's lunch for preachers to enjoy and to enjoy fellowship with each other.  The rest of the folks get their lunch served in the gym. Wednesday mornings before the service is the alumni breakfast (sometimes they have a picnic for lunch instead).  It's a good time to see people you've known over the years and catch up with what God's been doing.  The entire conference is great.  None of the preachers are ever told to preach to a theme.  But it's really interesting how every year the sermons seem to dovetail. Folk who come looking for something from the Lord will go home full!

We used to have our teen conference at the same time, but changed that years ago.  Now, in November, we have Empowered Youth. Youth groups come from all over to compete in things like storytelling, singing, preaching, etc. Winners get help with tuition at the college if they choose to attend.  There is a theme to the week, kids are divided into four groups, and they compete in games, etc. They have a whole lot of fun. And they get a lot of good preaching. 

Oh, and we are always asked to make sure we give what $ we are going to for the conference before the guests arrive because we never want to make the guests feel like they have to foot the bill...

Archived