• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Holy Ghost

DaveW

• Members

Just doing a little study on the Holy Ghost.
Nowhere near finished, but lots of interesting bits so far.
I would encourage people to look for instance at "baptism with the Holy Ghost".

And also what people did when they full of the Holy Ghost.

As a reaction against the charismaniacs, many fundamentalists have marginalized the Holy Spirit so that our Trinity is actually only about a 2.3, not a full 3.

But there is no need to be scared of anything the Bible teaches.
We just have to be careful to study thoroughly and properly.

• Members

As a Christian with the Holy Spirit dwelling within me, being "filled with the spirit" doesn't mean I get more of the Holy Spirit, it means the Holy Spirit gets more of me.  There is no such thing as a partial indwelling of the the Holy Spirit. 

Bro. Garry

Yes I am still alive but its been an insane couple of weeks...

• Members

Curious if your study is OBjective and just between you and the Lord? An untainted and fresh study.

If it is I am very interested in hearing what the Lord shows you.

My method, if that is what you are asking, is to search the Bible program I have on particular words or phrases, and copy every verse that uses that word or phrase to a word document.
I then "categorize" those verses into groups.
For instance, with "Holy Ghost", I read each verse and move them under headings that show up - "filled with the Holy Ghost", "Holy Ghost upon someone", "Baptized with Holy Ghost".

I then study each verse in a particular group, checking the context.

In this way I am studying each verse in context on a subject.

The only external resource I am using is Strongs, and only to find if a particular root word is translated into a different word than that which I am studying.

Of course none of us go into a study blind - any man who says he has no bias is just plain wrong. But I am trying to be as OBjective as possible, and trying to avoid any outside influence.

My finding that to be filled with the Holy Ghost results in the preaching of the Word was not at all what I expected, but if you search "Holy "ghost" and "filled" you will find every instance is based around the preaching in some way, pointing people to Christ.

Miracles etc are mentioned in only two or three instances, and only incidentally.
Check out Saul and Elymas for instance.
Saul caused Elymas to be blind for a season because Elymas was stopping Saul from preaching to the city deputy.

I have not yet progressed through to "Holy Spirit", "Spirit", etc yet.

When I start my actual study I have more than 20 pages of Bible verses.
I do not look to commentaries for these studies.

Normally such a study starts because I have been challenged on something, so it is a reaction against what somebody has challenged me on.
I do this so that I can give a solid Biblical response.

Archived