• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Bad Hymns?

matie-k

Awhile back I posed a question to learn about Hymns written by IFB. (that are sung steadily in the church today) Does anybody know a IFB hymn writer and the name of the song or songs? I am curious and cannot find any and it is a poor argument with others that some IFB condemn any modern music unless written and performed by IFB when we sing hymns written by other denominations as part of our regular worship service. Tank

• Members
Awhile back I posed a question to learn about Hymns written by IFB. (that are sung steadily in the church today) Does anybody know a IFB hymn writer and the name of the song or songs? I am curious and cannot find any and it is a poor argument with others that some IFB condemn any modern music unless written and performed by IFB when we sing hymns written by other denominations as part of our regular worship service. Tank

you should ask if we know any hymns written by writers who has the same belief as we do. I'm not sure people labeled themselves as IFB back then.

• Members
Hymns took on A new meaning for me when I began signing. I began to realize how many of our hymns are just fluff. Songs like Amazing Love are awesome to sign' date=' whereas I Want That Mountain aways leave us rolling in laughter.[/quote']
Trish, I agree. Of course, I wouldn't call "I Want That Mountain" a hymn, exactly. If we're talking about gospel songs, I'd say many, many of them are, as you said, just fluff. I'm sure that signing these songs lends a whole new perspective on them. I think that sometimes in order for us to realize the ridiculousness of things like this, we have to "see" them as if for the first time. When you grow up singing them, it is hard to see what is so strange about them. I look back on a Sunday school song I sang when I was little:

Let the sun shine in; face it with a grin.
Smilers never lose, and frowners never win,
So, let the sun shine in; face it with a grin.
Open up your heart and let the sun shine in.

I think that this song (which I understand originated with the hippie/Jesus movement of the sixties and seventies) had some "Christian" verses about the devil making us frown tacked on to it. But what a piece of nonsense, really!

Also, this song that we sang in church when I was little:

Climb, climb up Sunshine Mountain; heav'nly breezes blow.
Climb, climb up Sunshine Mountain; faces all aglow.
Turn, turn from sin and doubting; look up to the sky.
Climb, climb up Sunshine Mountain, you and I.

Wow, those are some deep...really deep...so deep they're hidden...spiritual truths there, huh?

Hi, Tank. :smile I don't know the answer to your question having NOT grown up IFB...however, my feeling is that the music should be Godly and uplift the Lord Jesus Christ (I think we all agree on this one). Also, I believe that many people from many faiths have made wonderful contributions to music throughout the years. I love most of the songs that we sing in our hymnbooks. I just think that there are pros and cons to breaking apart and deciphering why the person wrote the song and what their motive was, KWIM? We know that man (woman) is sinful...and, it is much easier to love God with all of our hearts, souls, and minds...than it is to do this with man. At least this is true for the majority of believers. Well, a person's testimony is written in that song...therefore, much is said. Music gets very interesting...and, I know that it is something that NOT everyone is going to agree upon. It gets very touchy. It is an involved subject, and my point is that we should stay with good Godly music...and, not worry about the who, why, where, when, and how of it. The Bible is central in salvation, anyways. :Bible:

• Administrators

Maybe I missed something, but who claims that only music written by IFB is acceptable?

Another song that I really don't care for, is "Battle Hymn of the Republic."

Last verse:
"In the beauty of the lilies Christ was born across the sea,
With a glory in His bosom that transfigures you and me:
As He died to make men holy, let us die to make men free,
While God is marching on."

I love Beethoven's ninth!!!

• Members

Loving the hymns and other fine gospel songs which I do sing as a soloist in our church and having been with a gospel quartet there are many hymns as well as other songs that have words or subject lines that aren't biblical. Much of this comes from what people have been told over the years from the belief system they have been brought up in.
We could just go on and look at only the mistaken theology or we could go ahead and see the blessings that can come from these songs. Admittedly, there are some I would never sing for some are just way too off scripture to sing or for a choir to do. So I personally pick and choose the songs that stick closest to the Word of God.
Remember, we can be too harsh at times over some things that just aren't worth getting into an uproar over. However, when it comes to my KJV better back way off for it is THE WORD OF GOD. wellglory!

• Moderators

A church I know avoids the "Battle Hymn of the Republic" because the lady who wrote it was not a Christian, and was promoting some sort of social gospel.

Pastor pointed out a while back that "Spirit of God, descend upon my heart" has faulty doctrine.

Sometimes it's really hard finding out stuff like this about favorite hymns! I want to just stick my head in the sand and not think about it. (I know... I know... that is not a correct response.) :frog

[quote="wellglory"]Loving the hymns and other fine gospel songs which I do sing as a soloist in our church and having been with a gospel quartet there are many hymns as well as other songs that have words or subject lines that aren't biblical. Much of this comes from what people have been told over the years from the belief system they have been brought up in.
We could just go on and look at only the mistaken theology or we could go ahead and see the blessings that can come from these songs. Admittedly, there are some I would never sing for some are just way too off scripture to sing or for a choir to do. So I personally pick and choose the songs that stick closest to the Word of God.
Remember, we can be too harsh at times over some things that just aren't worth getting into an uproar over. However, when it comes to my KJV better back way off for it is THE WORD OF GOD. wellglory![/quote]

:amen: :goodpost: Very nicely put...wellglory. :)

Pastor pointed out a while back that "Spirit of God, descend upon my heart" has faulty doctrine.

Where is the bad doctrine? I am missing it? :puzzled: The only thing I see that "might" be questionable is "Teach me to love Thee as Thine angels love". I am not sure that phrase would be biblically defensible...

Spirit of God, descend upon my heart;
Wean it from earth; through all its pulses move;
Stoop to my weakness, mighty as Thou art;
And make me love Thee as I ought to love.

I ask no dream, no prophet ecstasies,
No sudden rending of the veil of clay,
No angel visitant, no opening skies;
But take the dimness of my soul away.

Teach me to feel that Thou art always nigh;
Teach me the struggles of the soul to bear.
To check the rising doubt, the rebel sigh,
Teach me the patience of unanswered prayer.

Hast Thou not bid me love Thee, God and King?
All, all Thine own, soul, heart and strength and mind.
I see Thy cross; there teach my heart to cling:
O let me seek Thee, and O let me find!

Teach me to love Thee as Thine angels love,
One holy passion filling all my frame;
The kindling of the heaven descended Dove,
My heart an altar, and Thy love the flame.