• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Understanding Hebrews - 3

• Members

Reading Acts 21 & following, Paul had good reason to write Hebrews, but write anonymously.

After studying the issue some years ago I came to the conclusion that while we may not be able to know with absolute certainty who wrote Hebrews, I lean heavily in favor of Paul being the author.

At one time it was commonly accepted that Paul was, or was at least was most likely the author of Hebrews.

I wish I still had the study material because I would love to remember who put together the helpful information about the phrases and sayings in Hebrews that are common in Paul's writings. Some of the main "differences" often cited as reasons to think someone other than Paul wrote Hebrews are of a trivial nature and if Paul were writing without signing the letter would be something he would likely have left out purposefully.

In any event, indeed we need to encourage one another in difficult and trying times. We are called to bear one anothers burdens and to edify one another.

Sometimes during times of persecution and trials we more clearly see who are sincere in Christ, who isn't in Christ, and who may need to examine their salvation. We should seek to help each of these accordingly.

• Members

Just a consideration. JOB was pretty worn out in this section of his book, (which by the way verse 23 in chapter 19 did get fulfilled!)
And as usual I like to reread a section to see the balance of what is being said compared to what is really being said.
And I can sorta see what you are saying. Yet, I can also disagree with my bible notes in my gloss sometimes, too.
The notes for verse 25 states -

"Herein JOB declareth plainly that he had a full hope, that both the soul and body should enjoy the presence of God in the last resurrection."

Which I agree, is a nice clarification on the subject of the resurrection, for 'pre-incarnate days'.
But, I see a little something else in this. That JOB was stating the superior power of the Lord, that
he was gonna be 'the last one standing' at the final moments of earths pre-destruction time.
I think JOB was stating that he was going to 'recover' from this time of 'deep depression' that God was letting him go through.
Verse 27 is the key, to me, that his reins were 'doing' something.

Now, I am not as smart as I may 'put-on' sometimes, (which I am sure 'some' OBserve. :clapping:), but I heard an herbalist/preacher
years ago explain 'reins' being the organ in our body that 'gives' us that conviction 'feeling'.
[bro. Duane Cleghorn was his name, if any are curious.]
He explained it quite in a biblical light.
So in verse 27 JOB was speaking of that convictional emotion and feeling, and I see it as referring to JOB 'coming out' and gaining
the victory in his 'future', yet not only at the resurrection, but after his final days with these so-called friends of his. For verse 26 says
"yet in my flesh shall I see God", which goes on into 27 "Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold", speaking of his present body.

But a note that I like says, for the end of verse 28, "For though his friends thought that he was but persecuted of God
for his sins, yet he declareth that there was a deeper consideration: to wit, the trial of his faith and patience."

He was to be an example of 'victory', out of 'failure of life', for others to behold and gain strength from, for their own 'trials'.

IMO only.

JOB 19:27
27 Whom I shall see for myself,
and mine eyes shall behold,
and not another; though my reins be consumed within me.

"Though my reins be consumed within me" means:
Though there is no sinew left on my bones.

He's saying that though he has turned to dust and bones, somehow he will be in a body, standing face to face with his Redeemer, at the last day, on Earth.

He gives the timing of this in chapter 14:

JOB 14:12
12 So man lieth down, and riseth not:
till the heavens be no more, they shall not awake,
nor be raised out of their sleep.

JOB 14:14
14 If a man die, shall he live again?
all the days of my appointed time will I wait,
till my change come.

Which was reiterated here:

1Co 15:51-54
51 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,
52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump:for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.
53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.
54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

Just a consideration. JOB was pretty worn out in this section of his book, (which by the way verse 23 in chapter 19 did get fulfilled!)
And as usual I like to reread a section to see the balance of what is being said compared to what is really being said.
And I can sorta see what you are saying. Yet, I can also disagree with my bible notes in my gloss sometimes, too.
The notes for verse 25 states -

"Herein JOB declareth plainly that he had a full hope, that both the soul and body should enjoy the presence of God in the last resurrection."

Which I agree, is a nice clarification on the subject of the resurrection, for 'pre-incarnate days'.
But, I see a little something else in this. That JOB was stating the superior power of the Lord, that
he was gonna be 'the last one standing' at the final moments of earths pre-destruction time.
I think JOB was stating that he was going to 'recover' from this time of 'deep depression' that God was letting him go through.
Verse 27 is the key, to me, that his reins were 'doing' something.

Now, I am not as smart as I may 'put-on' sometimes, (which I am sure 'some' OBserve. :clapping:), but I heard an herbalist/preacher
years ago explain 'reins' being the organ in our body that 'gives' us that conviction 'feeling'.
[bro. Duane Cleghorn was his name, if any are curious.]
He explained it quite in a biblical light.
So in verse 27 JOB was speaking of that convictional emotion and feeling, and I see it as referring to JOB 'coming out' and gaining
the victory in his 'future', yet not only at the resurrection, but after his final days with these so-called friends of his. For verse 26 says
"yet in my flesh shall I see God", which goes on into 27 "Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold", speaking of his present body.

But a note that I like says, for the end of verse 28, "For though his friends thought that he was but persecuted of God
for his sins, yet he declareth that there was a deeper consideration: to wit, the trial of his faith and patience."

He was to be an example of 'victory', out of 'failure of life', for others to behold and gain strength from, for their own 'trials'.

IMO only.

He's saying that though he has turned to dust and bones, somehow he will be in a body, standing face to face with his Redeemer, at the last day, on Earth.

• Members

JOB 14:12
12 So man lieth down, and riseth not:
till the heavens be no more, they shall not awake,
nor be raised out of their sleep.

JOB 14:14
14 If a man die, shall he live again?
all the days of my appointed time will I wait,
till my change come.

Though I respect your opinion, I disagree with your view

on the verse  "though my reins be consumed within me".

His 'reins' would not 'equal' his sinews.

One definition says -  "(especially in Biblical use) the seat of the feelings or affections,formerly identified with the kidneys."

[Encyclopedia Britannica says the word reins means kidneys]

Another says - Middle English: from Old French rene, based on Latin retinere ‘retain.’

It's the feeling of 'conviction' on how to accomplish something 'right', or how we retain our beliefs.

JOB was stating, through the phrase - my reins be consumed within me - that he was 'all tore up on the inside' - because of what he was experiencing.

That's all.

• Members

I like your surmising of the chapter, especially 10:5-14.

I have often heard that the Vaticanus or Siniaticus, one or the other, or both, I forget,

ends at Hebrews 9 about the 14th verse I believe, and totally miss out on this 'once for all' sacrifice of our Lord for mankind.

Tis a great section of scripture to 'own'!

• Members

I like your surmising of the chapter, especially 10:5-14.

I have often heard that the Vaticanus or Siniaticus, one or the other, or both, I forget,

ends at Hebrews 9 about the 14th verse I believe, and totally miss out on this 'once for all' sacrifice of our Lord for mankind.

Tis a great section of scripture to 'own'!

It's the Vaticanus

Codex Vaticanus contains the false Roman Catholic apocryphal books such as Judith, TOBias, and Baruch, while it omits the pastoral epistles (I Timothy through Titus), the Book of Revelation, and it cuts off the Book of Hebrews at Hebrews 9:14 (a very convenient stopping point for the Catholic Church, since God forbids their priesthood in Hebrews 10 and exposes the mass as totally useless as well!).

The Codex Sinaiticus & the Latin Vulgate include Hebrews, so I doubt if there is any significance to Burgon's assertion about the omission from 9:14 onwards.

• Members

I bothers me when people say things they OBviously never look into, but mimic so-called teachers.

Especially when it comes to the 'apocrypha'. Three books of which have never been in a 'catholic bible'; but all have been in every English

Bible since English Bibles were printed. [The 'good' bibles I mean, one's used to convert lost people into people of God, not the MV's.]

Not that Brother D. Burgon didn't know, but people like Chick Pub, putting out untrue 'facts' about Bible 'history' etc.

But that's a different subject. But I bet there are people like our friends who think Paul was a heretic, that prOBably believe

Hebrews to be 'apocryphal'.

Weird world.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I'll repost this summary of Heb. 10 as we reopen the thread. In particular we need to consider for ourselves the last two paragraphs.

Heb. 10 includes a resume, & some consideration about the future of his readers, & the "end times" future.

Heb. 10:1-4 reminds us that animal sacrifices  cannot cleanse the conscience, nor take away sin.

Heb. 10:5-14 The sacrifice of Jesus on Calvary was  one sacrifice for sins for ever. There can never be further sacrices for sin. Ezekiel's prophecy cannot refer to future millennial sacrifices of animals by a human priesthood. 

Heb. 10:14-18 We are living under the new covenant - by Jesus' sacrifice - so that by the indwelling Holy Ghost we have the Law in our hearts & minds. Our sins are forgotten & forgiven (remitted.)

Heb. 10:18-25 Live as redeemed people, & encourage one another, so that we may stand as ye see the day approaching.

Heb. 10:26-31 Don't sin wilfully, nor turn away from Christ - & in the context, do not return to reliance on Moses & the animal sacrifices. Don't return to the law by which you will be judged - & utterly condemned.

Heb. 10:32-36 Remember the former days, when you welcomed the Gospel, despite persecution. Stand firm in your eternal hope in Christ. Do the will of God & so receive the promise.

Heb. 10:35-39 Jesus is coming - he that shall come will come, and will not tarry. We need to remember the confused situation in Judea to which Hebrews was written, in around AD 60. Read Acts 21. The temple was standing, & old covenant sacrifices were being offered by many thousands of Christian believers. Paul was persuaded to join in such an offering, but was prevented. The 40 years of grace was coming to an end. Jesus had warned prophetically:

Mark 12:9 What shall therefore the lord of the vineyard do? he will come and destroy the husbandmen, and will give the vineyard unto others.

It is that coming that was imminent, not what we understand as his second coming for resurrection & judgement. (Or "rapture.") See Heb. 3:12-19 Jesus referred to the sign of Jonah - the Ninevites were given 40 days, & repented. The Jews were given a generation of 40 years. There was still time to repent. But judgement was certainly coming, so how should they live in a rebellious situation? Take the lesson from Habakkuk facing the Chaldean invasion - live by faith.

We need to be practical - we are living in confused rebellious & wicked days, when many of those who speak as "Christians" speak hypocrisy & oppose the Gospel, or teach that other religions & ways are valid, apart from Christ.

How do we encourage one another to godly living by faith in times of opposition, & persecution? And how do we support those presently dying for their faith?

Edited by Covenanter

• Members

As we come to Heb. 11, Henry Morris reminds that faith in our Creator is foundational:

“In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.” (Genesis 1:1)

It is appropriate for Christians to begin the New Year by referring back to the beginning of the very first year. The first verse of God’s Word is also its most important verse, since it is the foundation on which everything else is built. Even God’s great work of salvation is irrelevant and futile without His prior work of creation, for only the Creator of all things could ever become the Savior of all things.

If a person really believes Genesis 1:1, he or she should have no difficulty believing anything else in the Bible. The very first OBject of saving faith (Hebrews 10:39) is the fact of special creation by the word of God (Hebrews 11:3).