• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Prayer

John81

• Members

There are some who believe God created everything and then basically headed out on an extended vacation, leaving us to go it alone.

There are others who hold to a partial view of this, in that they believe God doesn't deal directly with us but He's active in some things.

These views, and others, naturally effect our understanding of prayer.

Do you believe God hears your prayers and responds to your prayers?

Do you believe God "speaks" to you (not like walking with you in the garden chatting), through the Holy Ghost, that still small voice, the Word, preaching, others?

Some believe God doesn't respond to our prayers and anything we consider an answer to prayer is simply coincidence.

Some don't believe in coincidence.

Some believe God doesn't speak to anyone in any way these days.

Do you believe God does sometimes answer prayers for healing, wisdom, protection, etc.? There are some who reject that idea.

What are your beliefs regarding prayer and God's interaction, or lack thereof, in our lives?

• Members

I know I'm not the only one here who prays, has read about prayer in Scripture, or cares about prayer. This leaves me very puzzled as to why this thread has so many views yet no responses, not even a single answer to a single question.

As many pastors often point out, one of our greatest weaknesses is lack of prayer. Hold a two hour buffet and over half the church shows up; hold a 20 minute prayer meeting and suddenly most of the church members are busy.

Do we not believe prayer is effective, worthy of our time, something we are called to participate in?

• Members

There are some who believe God created everything and then basically headed out on an extended vacation, leaving us to go it alone.

There are others who hold to a partial view of this, in that they believe God doesn't deal directly with us but He's active in some things.

These views, and others, naturally effect our understanding of prayer.

Do you believe God hears your prayers and responds to your prayers?  Yes

Do you believe God "speaks" to you (not like walking with you in the garden chatting), through the Holy Ghost, that still small voice, the Word, preaching, others?  Yes, and through reading the word.

Some believe God doesn't respond to our prayers and anything we consider an answer to prayer is simply coincidence.

Some don't believe in coincidence.

Some believe God doesn't speak to anyone in any way these days.

Do you believe God does sometimes answer prayers for healing, wisdom, protection, etc.? There are some who reject that idea.

What are your beliefs regarding prayer and God's interaction, or lack thereof, in our lives?  It builds up our faith,

Sorry John, I was waiting for others to answer first.

I have a question myself.  If we believe in total freewill, why do we pray for the salvation of others?

• Members

Sorry John, I was waiting for others to answer first.

I have a question myself. If we believe in total freewill, why do we pray for the salvation of others?

Psa 139:2 Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off.

Psa 139:4 For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O LORD, thou knowest it altogether.

Do you believe that God knows the thoughts of our hearts before we speak them?

Why then pray at all, if God already knows it?

It is at least partly for our own faith to grow.

• Members

I pray because we are given a very clear example to do so by Jesus. Since we are also told that God already knows our thoughts, hearts and needs, I've always taken it to be about confession, devotion, and dialogue, rather than about trying to transmit information to God that he otherwise would not know. But I admit I'm not confident about prayer.

• Members

Being a person who has been told he has very low self esteem ( and maybe they are right) I generally feel I prOBably don't deserve an affirmative answer to my prayers.  I feel that I don't really know what is best for me and I ask amiss. . . . I ask for the wrong things.  I just have to trust in the Lord that He will provide.

• Members

Has no one here experienced God answering their prayers? Has no one seen God working things together for good? Has no one noticed the protection of God? The provision of God? God shutting and opening doors?

Larry, there are times when I feel woefully inadequate in my prayers. I don't know just what to pray for or about. In such times I admit those things to God and ask that His Spirit would intercede and that God would act in accord with what's really needful in accord with His will.

When it comes to confidence in prayer, I'm confident that God hears my prayers and uses them in accord with His will. How that all works, I really don't know, but it does, just as God says.

• Members

Prayer is a relationship, not just a request line.  

So God wants communications from us, for why call ourselves Christians if we don't act like Christ?

Christ prayed, and in front of his disciples and others many times

John 17, the real Lords prayer, is one great example for us to admire for its directness, yet loving, requests and statements to our God.

And yes, I have seen the Lord answer many many prayers of mine and my wife's, over the years, and sometimes looking back at things and seeing the power of God to 'set things up' for what we are and have been currently experiencing in our lives.

God truly does do all things well!

'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

• Administrators

Has no one here experienced God answering their prayers?  I most certainly have!  In many ways, too many to list.  Sometimes the answer has been no, sometimes yes. But always an answer!

Has no one seen God working things together for good?  Yes, I have - as I'm sure anyone else who is saved has, truthfully, even if they don't answer the question.  One example is from when my Dad was sick with cancer.  He had brain surgery in early July (2011). I was able to go up there for two weeks to help my Mom with my Grandma (who was heading for her 102nd b'day in November).  Two weeks with one of the most precious people on earth to me, as well as time with my folks).  Four months later I was back...for my grandmother's funeral. She had fallen, broken her hip, and passed from pneumonia.  I spent 3 weeks there that time, helping where I could, spending time with my folks again.  And then 4 months later, I was back up there. This time for my dad's funeral.  How precious it is to me to know that God worked all of that, even in the midst of stress and sorrow, for me to spend time with very special loved ones whom He knew He was going to be bringing home.  

Has no one noticed the protection of God?  Oh, yes. More than once in my life.  Sometimes looking back on situations I have to ask myself, "how in the world...?" and the only answer is God.

The provision of God?  Yep. God provides. Many times above our needs.

God shutting and opening doors? Well, here you might not agree with me. I'm not a real believer in "open" or "closed" doors. I believe that God leads us to do as He desires us to do, placing those desires in us to do so (if we are right with Him, of course).  And that we are to do what He leads us to do - even if we have to climb through a window, as it were...

Larry, there are times when I feel woefully inadequate in my prayers. I don't know just what to pray for or about. In such times I admit those things to God and ask that His Spirit would intercede and that God would act in accord with what's really needful in accord with His will.

When it comes to confidence in prayer, I'm confident that God hears my prayers and uses them in accord with His will. How that all works, I really don't know, but it does, just as God says.

Recently someone said to me that their faith was on the line, because they believed God was going to do something, and they were certain of it because they wanted it so badly and isn't that proof that God should do it...

My answer to this person was that God is not a slot machine.  When we pray, we have to remember that He works things out for our good and His glory...not for our desires. Now, that has to be tempered with the fact that often God will lay desires/burdens upon us for which He wants us to pray and we will see the answers we want.  But we have to realize that "no" and "wait" are also answers.

• Administrators

But we have to realize that "no" and "wait" are also answers.

I agree with HC completely. Although I have had assurances that my prayers have been answered, there is no wake up call as effective as the one where I have got an emphatic "NO". I have experienced this and although it was not the answer I was hoping for, it was irrefutable evidence that my prayer had been answered and answered according to His will for my life.

So, in answer to your original question John, my answer would be an emphatic YES. God answers prayers.

• Members

Recently someone said to me that their faith was on the line, because they believed God was going to do something, and they were certain of it because they wanted it so badly and isn't that proof that God should do it...

My answer to this person was that God is not a slot machine.  When we pray, we have to remember that He works things out for our good and His glory...not for our desires. Now, that has to be tempered with the fact that often God will lay desires/burdens upon us for which He wants us to pray and we will see the answers we want.  But we have to realize that "no" and "wait" are also answers.

Regarding open and closed doors I'm not meaning, as some do, that God will make an easy path for us to do His will while with a wide open, easy to walk through door.

By open/closed door, I'm meaning that God calls one to be a missionary (for instance) and the person determines they will go to Albania. Then, at every turn OBstacle after OBstacle that can't be moved beyond blocks the path to Albania. Then suddenly a clear opportunity arises for them to be a missionary in Nigeria.

Simplistic example, but just an example. Now, the fact a door was opened to be a missionary in Nigeria doesn't mean there won't be OBstacles, but if God has opened that door of service, the Lord will provide the means and ways to navigate beyond the OBstacles; even if that means climbing through some windows along the way.

Archived