• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

A Challenge To Everyone

• Members

Something I was inspired to do recently and feel the lead is to evangelize all the false churches in the area. Denver CO is loaded with bad ones and I am sending letters and gospel tracts to as many as possible. Besides this I hit the streets and the parks often doing evangelism. My church also does visitation however this style of evangelism is not my gift. I got used to the streets and the false teachers due to past churches I have been a member that had a passion for these styles of evangelism. The Fellowship Tract League and Chic cartoon tracts have some great tracts on Hell and the basic gospel. I'd get some. The Lords Return or the Grim reaper may be approaching so I would witness to as many as possible.

Edited by evangelist6589

• Members

Something I was inspired to do recently and feel the lead is to evangelize all the false churches in the area. Denver CO is loaded with bad ones and I am sending letters and gospel tracts to as many as possible. Besides this I hit the streets and the parks often doing evangelism. My church also does visitation however this style of evangelism is not my gift. I got used to the streets and the false teachers due to past churches I have been a member that had a passion for these styles of evangelism. The Fellowship Tract League and Chic cartoon tracts have some great tracts on Hell and the basic gospel. I'd get some. The Lords Return or the Grim reaper may be approaching so I would witness to as many as possible.

Sounds good. I was wondering, when you send letters to the false churches, do you tell them they are false and give your contact information to discuss further? A while ago, I sometimes went to the directory and sent letters/tracts arbitrarily to the people I found addresses for.

• Moderators

IDK... somehow that doesn't seem like a very effective exercise. One wouldn't be evangelizing the churches - just the secretary and/or pastor.  If one was to do such a thing, I would hope the letter was very carefully worded so that your love and concern for their souls is what primarily comes across. Just imagine the result of a church secretary getting a letter that says 'you are a false church and you are going to hell. Read this.' The letter would be deposited in the garbage and that individual would most likely get a bad taste for you and the gospel you are promoting. :twocents: It's kinda like calling the receptionist at Microsoft and trying to sell her a Mac on work time.

• Members

IDK... somehow that doesn't seem like a very effective exercise. One wouldn't be evangelizing the churches - just the secretary and/or pastor. If one was to do such a thing, I would hope the letter was very carefully worded so that your love and concern for their souls is what primarily comes across. Just imagine the result of a church secretary getting a letter that says 'you are a false church and you are going to hell. Read this.' The letter would be deposited in the garbage and that individual would most likely get a bad taste for you and the gospel you are promoting. :twocents: It's kinda like calling the receptionist at Microsoft and trying to sell her a Mac on work time.

Oh no I don't say it like that. I carefully word things to show my compassion. I had a emerging church tell me they saw my compassion in their response. We chatted for a while but in the end they continued to endorse homosexuality and not preach the gospel so I finally told the pastor where he was headed. But I did not start a letter that way. I always try and reason with the pastor first.

I do not think it wise to stand outside a false church and give out tracts nor open air preach as I would be disruptive.

• Members

Sounds good. I was wondering, when you send letters to the false churches, do you tell them they are false and give your contact information to discuss further? A while ago, I sometimes went to the directory and sent letters/tracts arbitrarily to the people I found addresses for.

I should post a sample letter. No I try and reason with them in the letter and show compassion but near the end say that their views lead to hell. Many of these churches do not preach the gospel nor see the need and some may claim to preach the gospel but at the same time endorse homosexuality and call me judgmental for labeling it a sin.

• Members
Out of interest, what's the furthest you've got with a church by doing this? And what do you imagine you'd do next if a letter was very effective, for example if a pastor wrote back and said that your letter had convicted him and caused him to resign? (Or has that happened?)
I have had conversations. If a pastor wrote up that would be great. You and I will prOBably not agree on this point but in my view I only evangelize to glorify God, to OBey Him and I leave it to him to draw people to salvation. So it's not my words not methods but the Holy Spirit. But I don't wish to be a stumbling block for His work. Results are all Gods and I will continue doing what I am doing regardless of any results. Edited by evangelist6589

• Members

When I lived in a larger area I used to do some of these things. I especially liked taking it to the streets. I wouldn't say I ever actually "street preached" but there were some occasions when a crowd formed around myself and some I was speaking with about the things of Christ so in a manner I ended up "preaching" to a group; but that's not what I would call actual street preaching.

Now that I'm back in this very rural, low population county, living in this small town where most people already think they are Christians I have to do things differently.

• Members

Sample letters...

Unity Church of Denver

Attn: David Howard

3021 S. University Blvd

Denver, CO 80134

Dear David,

I was browsing your website and saw some things which required a response. On the front page of your church's site you say the following.

·       Where God is within us

·       Where Jesus is followed rather than worshiped

·       Where spirituality is more meaningful than religion and is measured by personal growth and a higher capacity to love

·       Where an inclusive group of open-minded people welcomes anyone seeking growth and truth.

·       Where your religious background doesn't matter

·       Where following your heart is more important than following creeds

On another page you acknowledge being a Christian church, and that you are a student. From that standpoint, I hope you are open to discussion. I would also hope that you love to read and study, so I have attached three gospel tracts, which I hope you will read. I'd like you to read, "Are you a Good Person?" & "Hi There" before you read, "Who is the Real Biblical Jesus?"

Regarding your view of the Bible, I have read that you personally believe the Bible to be the thought of God expressed in creative ideas, and that these ideas are the primal attributes of all enduring entities in the universe - visible and invisible. Also, regarding salvation, I understand you believe that there is no sin, sickness or death, nor a need for the cross. But that confuses me. You said on your website that the Bible is a “valuable spiritual resource”, yet it would appear you do not embrace its teaching. For example, you say it is more important to follow one's heart over creeds; but Jer 17:9 says that the heart is desperately wicked, and the NIV says it’s beyond cure. Trying to follow our hearts can lead to ruin because it's too subjective. The only sure truth is the Word of God and the Holy Spirit in each believer guides us into understanding His Word.

Also, you say that Jesus is not God; but this is not what the Bible says. Refer to John 1:1,18, 20:28, Rm 9:5, Tit 2:13, 1 Jn 5:20. Jesus is God and He demands true worship (Jn 5:23, Heb 1:6).

David, I am striving to write to you in kindness but the Bible is quite clear that you are not as good as you think you are and will spend an eternity in Hell unless you repent and turn to Christ. Your conscience bears your guilt and you need to turn to Exodus 20 and read the 10 Commandments and take the tests to see if you are a good person. Since all of mankind is guilty, and since you have chosen to reject Christ and turn to your sins, God has no choice but to punish you. Think of it this way - what good judge would turn a blind eye to injustice? If someone murdered your wife would you not want justice? But what if the judge did not care because he did not believe in sin, or absolute truth? So in his view he would see no need to bring your wife’s murderer to justice. What kind of a judge is that? A corrupt judge, no doubt! But God is not like that. He will judge the murders and all others that remain in their sins. So David, I plead with you to repent of your sins and turn to Christ so you will not have to spend an eternity in Hell. The tract "Hi There" which I provided tells a story of a man who went to Hell as he died in his sins, but didn't see it coming. Do not die in your sins David. Repent and turn to Christ today, for you may not have a tomorrow!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I must applaud you envangalist6589 for being so bold as to preach the Gospel. I could not agree more, churches today have certainly become too liberal. Preaching acceptance of homosexuality and the non-existence of Hell are just two OBvious example. The gospel may be unpalatable to those perishing but we must press on, I only wish I could be so bold.  "David, I am striving to write to you in kindness but the Bible is quite clear that you are not as good as you think you are and will spend an eternity in Hell unless you repent and turn to Christ" This kind of language can often be misconstrued but I absolutely get where you are coming from. If somebody was about to walk off a cliff would you yell and scream at them or just casually softly talk to them. Amazing stuff !!!  :clapping: 

• Members

We recently had some people who attend a church about 30 miles from here contact our church to ask questions. They wanted to know our stance on the issues of homosexuality, homosexual "marriage" and abortion. Our pastor explained to them we take the biblical approach and citing Scripture he explained that to them so it would be clear.

It seems their church, which was once a good church, has been weakening their stance on all three of these issues and have recently stepped over the line and declared they no longer believe the Bible speaks against these matters. Along with this declaration was the clear implication they would soon adopt an accepting position on these issues.

To their credit, some members of that church have been trying to take a stand against what's been happening in their church but now that it's reached the point where it's clear they can effect no good change there and certain sins will now be declared no longer to be sins but acceptable for Christians, they are looking for a new church home.

One couple from that church has already decided to make the 30 mile trip to attend our church and another couple from that church came last Sunday and not only attended services, but also our adult Sunday school class.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Well Joel Osteen is coming to town. I am considering handing out the "Have you believed another Gospel" tracts out. The Dome holds about 75k. A packed house at 15 dollars a ticket. I could prOBably hand out about 3k myself and with the rest of us about oh say 8k. Bring in the bullhorns and signs with shirt messages lol. We could reach some people.

There has been a lot of division contrary to the doctrine we were given. Dragging the Church thru public debate (sinners and the lost joining in the debate). Hasn't helped. We are a Holy Nation. Americas a secular nation. I don't know how we included all of it and ever considered it otherwise. The Body of Christ (A Holy Nation) dosen't go by majority vote in scripture as far as I can tell. Trying to reason with a fallen world of natural mind. Has not brought us one single victory except maybe HOBby LOBby. We have been losing since the Volstead act was repealed. As a Holy Nation I feel we need to preach the Gospel to every living creature. As the only way of saving ANYONE.

• Members

Well Joel Osteen is coming to town. I am considering handing out the "Have you believed another Gospel" tracts out. The Dome holds about 75k. A packed house at 15 dollars a ticket. I could prOBably hand out about 3k myself and with the rest of us about oh say 8k. Bring in the bullhorns and signs with shirt messages lol. We could reach some people.

There has been a lot of division contrary to the doctrine we were given. Dragging the Church thru public debate (sinners and the lost joining in the debate). Hasn't helped. We are a Holy Nation. Americas a secular nation. I don't know how we included all of it and ever considered it otherwise. The Body of Christ (A Holy Nation) dosen't go by majority vote in scripture as far as I can tell. Trying to reason with a fallen world of natural mind. Has not brought us one single victory except maybe HOBby LOBby. We have been losing since the Volstead act was repealed. As a Holy Nation I feel we need to preach the Gospel to every living creature. As the only way of saving ANYONE.

Indeed our call is to preach the Gospel, make disciples, live holy lives that shine the light of Christ.

When political activism takes the stage of attention we've allowed an idol to get between us and the Lord.

• Members

Amen, John81. Thats kind of the way I do things. Look at politics with passing interest. After Adam, Eve. Sin entered the world. That makes it a "fallen" world.

Little hope from the "secular" sector. Except order by authority. Do no harm too each other. Otherwise do what thou wilt, so to speak.

I myself, would prefer church's to instruct (as many IFB churchs do) its congregations to carry out the Great Commision.

Instead of leaving it to "Christian talking heads" on TV and radio and that rally Christians and write books etc. To get involved with "secular politics". Where secular people hold to. Don't harm us. However, you can do what thou wilt.

Freedom of Religion has some good aspects. However you can tell the Constitution was not written for Christians. The freedom and non establishment clause. Encourages and accepts every religion be it Mormon, Jehovia's witness, Hindu, Judiasm etc. Clearly establishing non-Christian roots by the founders. If one stops and thinks. Then they understand.

As a Holy Nation we do no such thing. We believe in Jesus Christ.

I feel however freedom of speech is a wonderful thing. That allows us to preach the Gospel.

Edited by Potatochip

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Sample letters...

Unity Church of Denver

Attn: David Howard

3021 S. University Blvd

Denver, CO 80134

Dear David,

I was browsing your website and saw some things which required a response. On the front page of your church's site you say the following.

·       Where God is within us

·       Where Jesus is followed rather than worshiped

·       Where spirituality is more meaningful than religion and is measured by personal growth and a higher capacity to love

·       Where an inclusive group of open-minded people welcomes anyone seeking growth and truth.

·       Where your religious background doesn't matter

·       Where following your heart is more important than following creeds

On another page you acknowledge being a Christian church, and that you are a student. From that standpoint, I hope you are open to discussion. I would also hope that you love to read and study, so I have attached three gospel tracts, which I hope you will read. I'd like you to read, "Are you a Good Person?" & "Hi There" before you read, "Who is the Real Biblical Jesus?"

Regarding your view of the Bible, I have read that you personally believe the Bible to be the thought of God expressed in creative ideas, and that these ideas are the primal attributes of all enduring entities in the universe - visible and invisible. Also, regarding salvation, I understand you believe that there is no sin, sickness or death, nor a need for the cross. But that confuses me. You said on your website that the Bible is a “valuable spiritual resource”, yet it would appear you do not embrace its teaching. For example, you say it is more important to follow one's heart over creeds; but Jer 17:9 says that the heart is desperately wicked, and the NIV says it’s beyond cure. Trying to follow our hearts can lead to ruin because it's too subjective. The only sure truth is the Word of God and the Holy Spirit in each believer guides us into understanding His Word.

Also, you say that Jesus is not God; but this is not what the Bible says. Refer to John 1:1,18, 20:28, Rm 9:5, Tit 2:13, 1 Jn 5:20. Jesus is God and He demands true worship (Jn 5:23, Heb 1:6).

David, I am striving to write to you in kindness but the Bible is quite clear that you are not as good as you think you are and will spend an eternity in Hell unless you repent and turn to Christ. Your conscience bears your guilt and you need to turn to Exodus 20 and read the 10 Commandments and take the tests to see if you are a good person. Since all of mankind is guilty, and since you have chosen to reject Christ and turn to your sins, God has no choice but to punish you. Think of it this way - what good judge would turn a blind eye to injustice? If someone murdered your wife would you not want justice? But what if the judge did not care because he did not believe in sin, or absolute truth? So in his view he would see no need to bring your wife’s murderer to justice. What kind of a judge is that? A corrupt judge, no doubt! But God is not like that. He will judge the murders and all others that remain in their sins. So David, I plead with you to repent of your sins and turn to Christ so you will not have to spend an eternity in Hell. The tract "Hi There" which I provided tells a story of a man who went to Hell as he died in his sins, but didn't see it coming. Do not die in your sins David. Repent and turn to Christ today, for you may not have a tomorrow!

​Unity Church is spiritualist...mediums, psychic healings, occult stuff.  It's masked Satanism....I believe most of the people who get into it are hooked by believing they can communicate to loved ones who have passed away.  I just read "Lucifer Dethroned", a true story by William and Sharon Schnoebelen, a Chick published book.  He was deep in and high up in the church of Satan and very well explains occult branches which are not presented as Satanism but in reality are Satanism.  Spiritualism, Unity Church, is one of those branches. 

I applaud you and give you a hearty amen for your efforts, and recommend "Lucifer Dethroned" as it is fast and easy reading and may give you some good ideas on how to reach these strange churches like Unity.  I knew a man personally a few years back who was ordained as a Unitarian minister and studying to move up in those circles....heavy occult stuff with a lot of Christian and Bible talk mixed in, even singing many of the same old beautiful hymns sung in Baptist churches. ....and a lot of nasty political infighting.

Pastors and high ups in the movement are reachable, but there are a lot more lower level initiates who may be less hardened by time and experience in the false religions.   Keep up the good work, it's good to hear believers taking initiative to serve the Lord.