• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

I Am New Here

evangelist6589

• Members
Hi John/Evangelist, welcome to the forum! There are plenty here who aren't IFB (including me) and they are welcome so long as they don't cause contention.

Like with any forum, we regularly have people who register solely for the purpose of debating what the forum believes in. This becomes apparent when they immediately begin majoring on topics such as calvinism, OSAS, and even the Trinity. They start three or four threads on a topic, become combative with everyone, and then leave.

So I'm sure you can understand folk getting a bit edgy when a new person joins and immediately begins bringing these topics up. My friendly advice to you and anyone who joins the forum is: OB is supposed to be about fellowship, so spend your first few weeks here enjoying the fellowship and not getting into any debates. Join in with prayer, games, and chat and get to know people.  :icon_smile:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hi John/Evangelist, welcome to the forum! There are plenty here who aren't IFB (including me) and they are welcome so long as they don't cause contention.

Like with any forum, we regularly have people who register solely for the purpose of debating what the forum believes in. This becomes apparent when they immediately begin majoring on topics such as calvinism, OSAS, and even the Trinity. They start three or four threads on a topic, become combative with everyone, and then leave.

So I'm sure you can understand folk getting a bit edgy when a new person joins and immediately begins bringing these topics up. My friendly advice to you and anyone who joins the forum is: OB is supposed to be about fellowship, so spend your first few weeks here enjoying the fellowship and not getting into any debates. Join in with prayer, games, and chat and get to know people.  :icon_smile:

I see. Thanks sir. Yes no prOBlem. :)

• Members

I was recommended this site by a friend and I am introducing myself. First I want to make sure I would be a good fit in here. I am a member of a IFB church, however I am not KJVO and am also a Calvinist. But I am a major evangelist and love to pass out tracts, hit the streets and do open air preaching. Usually I will use the KJV/NKJV for this task, but I sometimes will use the NIV/ESV. Being a Calvinist in my case also means being a Dispensationalist and for that sites like The Puritan Board would not welcome me as they are truly Reformed websites and not Calvinistic as I am. 

I realize most IFB are not of this persuasion and I really have no beef with them as long as we respect each other. As an evangelist my main focus is on that task and secondary issues I do not exactly seek to divide over. For example I like Chic Cartoon tracts and no I do not agree with everything that they teach, but they do an excellent jOB at hitting the reality of man's depravity, his sin, and the horrors of Hell. Yes even much better than the Calvinist tracts that I have. Chic Tracts have been endorsed by those in the Reformed community. 

John

What is, or perhaps, how did you become, or why are you, a "Dispensational Calvinist"? As far as I can recall, I've never heard of a "Dispensational Calvinist" before.

From my understanding, Calvinism, Reformed, Puritan and such are all non-dispensational; or at least that would be their original or traditional position. Are there churches that are "Dispensational Calvinist" (what about the church you attend?) or is this just a position you've come to on your own?

Spurgeon gave many sermons and writings in favor of what could be called his view of "Pauline Calvinism" (while always confronting and denouncing what most today would call "hyper-calvinists") and he also strongly denounced what he called "the new false teaching of Dispensationalism". Are you familiar with Spurgeon's positions on these matters?

• Members

What is, or perhaps, how did you become, or why are you, a "Dispensational Calvinist"? As far as I can recall, I've never heard of a "Dispensational Calvinist" before.

From my understanding, Calvinism, Reformed, Puritan and such are all non-dispensational; or at least that would be their original or traditional position. Are there churches that are "Dispensational Calvinist" (what about the church you attend?) or is this just a position you've come to on your own?

Spurgeon gave many sermons and writings in favor of what could be called his view of "Pauline Calvinism" (while always confronting and denouncing what most today would call "hyper-calvinists") and he also strongly denounced what he called "the new false teaching of Dispensationalism". Are you familiar with Spurgeon's positions on these matters?

John MacArthur is a Dipensationalist as well as Steve Lawson. 

The church where I attend a men's group is a Dispensational Calvinist church and they vary much from a Reformed Baptist church in the area. 

• Members

John MacArthur is a Dipensationalist as well as Steve Lawson. 

The church where I attend a men's group is a Dispensational Calvinist church and they vary much from a Reformed Baptist church in the area. 

Is John Sr. and John Jr. both of this persuasion? I've only read a little of either of these and never encountered their view in this area.

What State, or if you prefer, what region of the country is your church in?

What is the difference between the Dispensational Calvinist church you attend (is that church Baptist?) and the Reformed Baptist church?

Sorry for so many questions but I've never even heard of a Dispensational Calvinist before.

What about Spurgeon's writings/sermons on both matters; are you familiar with them?

• Members

Is John Sr. and John Jr. both of this persuasion? I've only read a little of either of these and never encountered their view in this area.

What State, or if you prefer, what region of the country is your church in?

What is the difference between the Dispensational Calvinist church you attend (is that church Baptist?) and the Reformed Baptist church?

Sorry for so many questions but I've never even heard of a Dispensational Calvinist before.

What about Spurgeon's writings/sermons on both matters; are you familiar with them?

Google Steve Lawson and find a Calvinist IFB church with DISP eschatology.

The difference is eschatology plain and simple. There are lots of these types of churches out there. Some are Baptist and others Bible churches.

• Members

Why is it a secret.
You mentioned that you were recommended by someone - if you wanted to keep it secret, why bring it up?
And why ignore the question twice?

It makes you look suspicious.
That's all.
Easy to clear it up - answer the question........

• Members
Why is it a secret. You mentioned that you were recommended by someone - if you wanted to keep it secret, why bring it up? And why ignore the question twice? It makes you look suspicious. That's all. Easy to clear it up - answer the question........
Why do you keep pressuring me? It's called being rude. Yes I was recommended this site but by all I know I could have used google or my phone app to find it with a simple search. The person recommending this site by the way is not a Calvinist and me and him disagree on several issues. However we are united in the essentials and have a strong zeal for evangelism. I wish to keep his privacy. Can you understand that? Please do not pressure me anymore.

• Members

You brought it up, not me.
You ignored the question repeatedly, not me.
You are the one sworn to secrecy, not me.
You are the one who has made it an issue, not me.
You are the one who looks suspicious by it, not me.
You are the one who is offended by me asking a simple question, not me.

You can remove all the pressure that you seem to think I am putting on by answering a simple question.

You are the one who has caused the pressure, not me.........

It is really quite simple - don't question why people are suspicious when you refuse to clear up the issue.

Either clear the issue or accept the suspicion. .......

• Administrators

evangelist, for what it's worth, curiosity is only natural. You said a friend recommended the site to you.  If it is a member here, of course we are going to be curious as to whom it was.  Knowing who knows whom lets us know a little bit more about a person.  If the person who recommended it is not a member, then that raises questions - the board has had more than its share of folk who simply joined to cause trouble (not saying you did, just 'splainin' a bit).

Please, though, knock of the martyr attitude. Just because someone questions you or points out that they don't believe what you believe does not mean they are attacking you and questions are not necessarily pressure.  

• Members
evangelist, for what it's worth, curiosity is only natural. You said a friend recommended the site to you. If it is a member here, of course we are going to be curious as to whom it was. Knowing who knows whom lets us know a little bit more about a person. If the person who recommended it is not a member, then that raises questions - the board has had more than its share of folk who simply joined to cause trouble (not saying you did, just 'splainin' a bit). Please, though, knock of the martyr attitude. Just because someone questions you or points out that they don't believe what you believe does not mean they are attacking you and questions are not necessarily pressure.
He is a member here but I wish to keep his privacy. If someone continues to ask a question after I have asked him to stop it's called harassment. I asked please not to ask for I wish to keep his privacy.

• Administrators

He is a member here but I wish to keep his privacy. If someone continues to ask a question after I have asked him to stop it's called harassment.

Nah - it's called concern about trolling...  Although it does lead one to wonder why, it's fine to keep his privacy. 

Archived